News: Dallas Cowboys hint at drafting offensive player at Pick 10

kskboys

Reaction score
he's right.
its not about needs....its about talent.
trust your scouts.
trust your board.
and you never know what the draft tide will bring in when you're on the clock.
BS. The draft is about improving your team. It's about needs and talent.

kskboys

Reaction score
If we go off BPA and what we've done in recent years then expect the 10 pick to be a wideout.
One of the big name wideouts will drop and hopefully it's Smith. I've never seen anyone create
separation like he does. Dak loves throwing to wide open guys and Smith is WIDDDEEE OPEN!
As the other team scores MMMMAAAAANNNNNYYYYYYY POOOOOOIIIIINTTTTTSSSS and we lose because we can't stop anyone.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It would make the fan base feel better if he said they would just force defensive picks the entire draft.

Ya know, like the smart teams do.
And the same people complaining about picking offense would complain about picking all defense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Getting some starters at key defensive positions in FA will open up the draft. Nothing is more important than fixing the middle of the defense, right now. Sign starters at NT and S.

Drafting a TE isn't gonna win this team anymore games. An OT is a much better pick at 10 for this team.
This pretty much nails it. We have some good TE’s already. I hope like hell they sign a couple defensive FA’s so that if one of those monster offensive lineman are there they can grab one. Tyron fixed his neck, but he hasn’t fixed his back so he’s a question mark. It’s a deep draft on the defensive side and they have a lot of picks. I also think that Quinn is going to do what he said and put the players in the best position to succeed. Trysten Hill and Gallimore(sp) are up and coming players. I don’t think the defense is as bad as they played the last couple of years. Definitely need to get a stud DT and fix the secondary.

Also, because of the salary cap situation in the NFL this year, there’s going to be a lot of good players available that will want to play on a 1 year contract and then sign long term next year when the cap goes up. It’s going to be a buyers market. Next week is going to be very interesting.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
That’s kind of scary because on offense after Pitts, there are two OL, and maybe 2 WRs that Dallas could take at 10. Pitts or the OL and I bet not many would complain, but what if it’s another WR?

DFWJC

Reaction score
by Reid Hanson

Flying in under the radar during the Dallas Cowboys/Dak Prescott celebratory press conference, were not-so-subtle hints that offense is an option early in the 2021 NFL Draft.

On at least two occasions Stephen Jones spoke of how “You have to be open-minded or you don’t get CeeDee Lamb if he happens to be sitting there” and “You can’t go into a draft saying every player is going to be a defensive player or else you miss out”. He said it fully acknowledging the woes of the defense and the need to significantly upgrade it. He spoke repeatedly of not allowing those defensive needs to cause them to miss out on the next CeeDee Lamb scenario.

Dallas Cowboys hint at drafting offensive player at Pick 10 (sportdfw.com)
Well, the dumbest thing a team can ever do on draft day is to choose a player based solely on his position, regardless of if he's even worth the pick.
That's a guaranteed recipe for failure.

But, unless we have a plan to trade one of our WRs this season, I'd have a hard time taking a WR this year at 10.
Lamb was unique in that he was not only the only player left in his tier, but maybe even in the tier above as well.
That almost never happens.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Hey it worked well for the Lions... Charles Rodgers 03, Roy Williams 04 and Mike Williams 05 in a row.. Then they finally got Megatron in 07....
They also took the last two top 10 tight ends.

Hey, the Lions are the kind of company Dallas keeps nowadays, so why not?

StylisticS

Reaction score
Terribly misleading headline for this story. Jones did not hint at drafting an offensive player. He only said you don't want to be wedged into having to draft a defensive player no matter what. Big difference.
Exactly how I read it as well.

Croomraider

Reaction score
As the other team scores MMMMAAAAANNNNNYYYYYYY POOOOOOIIIIINTTTTTSSSS and we lose because we can't stop anyone.
lol i mean I agree... i want defense... I want defense every year.. but it's clear Dallas loves to
draft BPA.. and my guess is BPA will be a wideout, which we obviously don't need.. should be interesting.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That's the thing. What's Dallas even getting if they pick one at #10? He better pan out if you're going to leave Pitts there. Besides, isn't Dallas better off going S if they pick in the 2nd?

What's Dallas even getting if they pick one at 10? Assuming Surtain or Farley or even Horn is there, the Cowboys get a top rated rookie. And no doubt corner is a bigger need than tight end, unless you totally ignore need in the draft, which I wouldn't, corner is more likely to help the team overall than adding a better tight end than what you have.

And besides, where is it written that Pitts is a sure fire, 100% guaranteed, can't-possibly-miss pick? Not that he was the same ranked talent, but anybody remember Matt Johnson?
He played 45 games in college, had a shoulder injury but that was never a problem after college. Then in 3 years with the Cowboys he had continuing hamstring problems and never played a regular season game and had to retire.

Of course no player is a guaranteed success, not saying that Surtain, etc. is one either. Just noting that there have been plenty of "sure fire" draftees that never panned out, Pitts has to be included in the list of players that could end up that way...

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
I know this team doesn't have a history of spending premium resources on DT and S. But no matter what sport you are in, if you are soft up the middle you will not win when it matters most. It needs to be fixed. And then you can properly judge the LB situation and address that properly next off season.