News: Dallas Cowboys: How much will Gallimore and Hill impact DT decisions?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I am trying to see anyone in the draft that does that. And I cant. Barmore maybe but he's terrible value at 10.

It’s become maybe the hardest thing to find now days. A 3 technique that can rush the passer.

I wonder how La Roi Glover would be viewed in today’s NFL.. I think he would have Donald type of hype.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It’s become maybe the hardest thing to find now days. A 3 technique that can rush the passer.

I wonder how La Roi Glover would be viewed in today’s NFL.. I think he would have Donald type of hype.
I agree its hard. And I have been watching football a very long time. I havent seen anyone like Donald. Ever. lol. The guy is ridiculously talented and at his size to have a six pack isnt human lol.

Reactions: CWR

ondaedg

Reaction score
Hill was showing signs why he was a 2nd round pick. Though many on here will not agree, as usual. Gallimore showed flashes for a rookie in a bad scheme.
So take into account of the poor scheme and Nolan. And look how much better Quinn "should" be. Yes they have a role, and possibly a big role. However, that needs to be in a rotation.
They still need a top FA veteran player, as well as a top player in the draft to complete that rotation.

Woods is not the answer, as he seemed to have dropped off the past 2 years. But was last year also the scheme holding him back. I think he had too many years to step up, and time to move on. So a FA and the draft is the way to go. Do not be surprised if McCoy returns to be that FA.
I do think they try to keep Woods since he is a RFA, but do not think he makes the team.

They also have Justin Hamilton that seems to be coming on a little. And though they gave Houston like a 2022 6th or 7th round pick, but he is a FA, in Ankou. Maybe he returns. Both of these guys can be rotational role type players for 4 or 5 snaps a game or more.

Hill had burst to shoot a gap and get some surprise pressure. But the other 90% of his plays where he was being moved with ease especially in the run game is what I have a problem with. Gap shooters don’t usually have the power or size to handle an OL when engaged which is a problem for Hill especially in a defense that isn’t as focused on gap play as it was under Rod. Add in two ILBs who think we’re playing flag football and it’s a recipe for one of the worst run defenses in the league.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On one hand, is there a DT in this draft worth a 10 pick? On the other, does that matter?

The majority of posters were pissed when they took Yosemite with a 1st but he solved a problem and that is what the draft is all about. Who cares about draft values, that's ridiculous. Anyone here regret taking him where they did? I wouldn't have cared if they'd traded up for him.

I haven't seen enough of Gallimore and Hill is even a bigger ?

There are those that feel drafting for need equals reaching but what if that player works out, what if he solves the problem? We can argue Yosemite was a reach but in the end, was he?

The Cowboys run D is terrible and it is specifically terrible in the middle but they are not getting rid of Booger's cornerstone of his defense, I wonder if he's really looked at that defense? Yep, a MLB making tackles 5 yards down the field is the cornerstone of it.

If Barmore is the highest graded DT, take him. The only chance for that to happen with the guy doing the picking is if Farley and Surtain are gone and even then I do not see Booger taking a DT with a 1st rounder, he never has and this isn't the first year that's been an obvious need.

And if you want to look for one statement that sums up the futility of this ball club it is "we like our guys".

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Hill should have no impact on the draft. Gallimore looked decent for a rookie.

There are a few DTs in this draft that are disruptive in the passing game. Twyman, Tufele, Onwuzurike. There’s also some guys that could be good run stuffers but offer next to zero pass rush ability, like Shelvin.

My dream scenario is a trade down and pick up Moehrig + DT and try to fix the middle of this defense that has been killing us for years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hill had burst to shoot a gap and get some surprise pressure. But the other 90% of his plays where he was being moved with ease especially in the run game is what I have a problem with. Gap shooters don’t usually have the power or size to handle an OL when engaged which is a problem for Hill especially in a defense that isn’t as focused on gap play as it was under Rod. Add in two ILBs who think we’re playing flag football and it’s a recipe for one of the worst run defenses in the league.

I will hold off judgement until I see what happens with Quinn and his scheme, and healthy players and a full off-season to prepare. If they get a regular or close to regular off-season.

ondaedg

Reaction score
On one hand, is there a DT in this draft worth a 10 pick? On the other, does that matter?

The majority of posters were pissed when they took Yosemite with a 1st but he solved a problem and that is what the draft is all about. Who cares about draft values, that's ridiculous. Anyone here regret taking him where they did? I wouldn't have cared if they'd traded up for him.

I haven't seen enough of Gallimore and Hill is even a bigger ?

There are those that feel drafting for need equals reaching but what if that player works out, what if he solves the problem? We can argue Yosemite was a reach but in the end, was he?

The Cowboys run D is terrible and it is specifically terrible in the middle but they are not getting rid of Booger's cornerstone of his defense, I wonder if he's really looked at that defense? Yep, a MLB making tackles 5 yards down the field is the cornerstone of it.

If Barmore is the highest graded DT, take him. The only chance for that to happen with the guy doing the picking is if Farley and Surtain are gone and even then I do not see Booger taking a DT with a 1st rounder, he never has and this isn't the first year that's been an obvious need.

And if you want to look for one statement that sums up the futility of this ball club it is "we like our guys".

I say they take BPA on defense no matter what the position is. And solid DTs can be drafted in rounds two and three.

birdwells1

Reaction score
No impact at all. I want a DL like the Cowboys had in the 90's. Deep and rotated all game to stay fresh.

Absolutely, I'm tired of a player flashing a few plays or a couple of games and the front office pencils them in as a starter for the next 4 years. Get some established talent at the defensive tackle positions, two new starters, and allow Galimore and Woods become rotational players. Stop trying to go cheap, get JJ Watt in here for talent and leadership and lets go from there.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Tis the season to talk ourselves out of the upgrades at DT we've needed for many years.

Agreed we have JAGs at the DT positions, we Cowboys fans fall in love with our own players but so does the front office.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hill was showing signs why he was a 2nd round pick. Though many on here will not agree, as usual. Gallimore showed flashes for a rookie in a bad scheme.
So take into account of the poor scheme and Nolan. And look how much better Quinn "should" be. Yes they have a role, and possibly a big role. However, that needs to be in a rotation.
They still need a top FA veteran player, as well as a top player in the draft to complete that rotation.

Woods is not the answer, as he seemed to have dropped off the past 2 years. But was last year also the scheme holding him back. I think he had too many years to step up, and time to move on. So a FA and the draft is the way to go. Do not be surprised if McCoy returns to be that FA.
I do think they try to keep Woods since he is a RFA, but do not think he makes the team.

They also have Justin Hamilton that seems to be coming on a little. And though they gave Houston like a 2022 6th or 7th round pick, but he is a FA, in Ankou. Maybe he returns. Both of these guys can be rotational role type players for 4 or 5 snaps a game or more.
Justin Hamilton was picked up in 2019 and he's bounced around the league since 2015 (Buf, GB, Sea, Phi, KC)

Carson

Reaction score
He one year older coming off an injury that occurred in warmups, unless it's veteran minimum I'll pass.

We all would. We’d all prefer Tomlinson

But sometimes you have to see a pattern from Stephen

nobody

Reaction score
No impact at all. I want a DL like the Cowboys had in the 90's. Deep and rotated all game to stay fresh.

Sadly we aren't likely to get that because of the salary cap and them being inept at defensive line drafting.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The impact is that we need 1 DT instead of 2. Gallimore and Hill haven't proven that much yet, but you would give them the chance to develop alongside a high quality DT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed we have JAGs at the DT positions, we Cowboys fans fall in love with our own players but so does the front office.

I think it is too soon to think of Gallimore as a jag. However would still look to DT in this draft.

mardwin

Reaction score
If we could somehow get a disrupter at that position then it could be a quick fix for our defense.

For some reason the Cowboys have never put a premium on it. Maybe it's because those guys are hard to find.

Outside of La Roi Glover, Ratliff, and Hatcher for a year or 2 we haven't had a guy there that can cause chaos.

This is the same organization that never put a premium on a playmaking safety. They have drafted more running backs and receivers in the first round than any other organization in the past 25 years if we include the trades for Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, and Amari Cooper.

birdwells1

Reaction score
This is the same organization that never put a premium on a playmaking safety. They have drafted more running backs and receivers in the first round than any other organization in the past 25 years if we include the trades for Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, and Amari Cooper.

WRs and RBs sell more jerseys.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hill should have no impact on the draft. Gallimore looked decent for a rookie.

There are a few DTs in this draft that are disruptive in the passing game. Twyman, Tufele, Onwuzurike. There’s also some guys that could be good run stuffers but offer next to zero pass rush ability, like Shelvin.

My dream scenario is a trade down and pick up Moehrig + DT and try to fix the middle of this defense that has been killing us for years.

True, but i'm not taking a DT just for the sake of needing one.
He'd have to be worth taking in according to the value of our draft board. His grade would have to be significantly higher than
what our grade on Hill and Gallimore was. Don't think there's any stand out DTs warranted of the high first round, .and any in the 2nd round would again have to be
justifiable than what round Hill and Gallimore were graded out when we took them.

I certainly don't expect a 1 tech to be drafted high by Cowboys, if at all. They seem to have it that this role is a low regard. Filler types.
I dunno who or what source got us thinking that way.