News: Dallas Cowboys Running Backs: The Five Horsemen?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Running Backs: The Five Horsemen?
http://thelandryhat.com/2016/08/24/cowboys-running-backs-five-horsemen/

With Ezekiel Elliott scheduled to make his debut, will the Dallas Cowboys even have room for five running backs on their final 53-man roster?

The preseason is winding down. Can you smell it in the air? Meaningful football is close; really close. Week Three of preseason is here for the Dallas Cowboys. This is the big “dress rehearsal” for NFL teams to show off what they have.

Players have one more chance to prove they have what it takes to make the team, or make a trip home. With the exception of wide receiver Dez Bryant and defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford, who both suffered concussions earlier this week, the Cowboys should have their full compliment of players ready to go. Rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott is one of them.

With Elliott set to make his preseason debut, the Cowboys will have plenty of active running backs on the roster for the game in Seattle on Thursday. This, honestly is a good thing for now. We have already seen veteran running back Alfred Morris look healthy and make some good runs this preseason. I expect to see him carry the ball in the third quarter against Seattle.

That being said, I expect Elliott to take the bulk of the snaps in the first half. Dallas is going to test out his ankle in live game action, but will try not to overwork their first-round draft pick. This leaves five other backs on the depth chart: Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar, Rod Smith, Keith Smith and sixth-round pick Darius Jackson.

Despite a resurgence in 2015, Darren McFadden is still yards away from on-field action this year.

We may never know what really happened to McFadden and his elbow in the offseason; personally I am not sure if I want to know. Because of it, he is unlikely to take any snaps during the preseason. It is also possible that his rehabilitation can stretch into the regular season, as Dallas may opt to keep him on the Non-Football Injury list (NFI) which would sideline him for the first six games of the year. The Cowboys have set no timetable for McFadden’s return, though many seem eager to see if he can replicate 2015.
With 1,089 rushing yards on 239 carries behind the best offensive line in the game last year, it was McFadden’s best season since 2010. Depending on the severity of the elbow injury, it could effect how well he holds on to the ball as well. With 20 fumbles over his eight-year career, Dallas would love to keep that a thing of the past.

I expect the other two running backs to split time working kick returns and special teams assignments. Dunbar has been the most visible over the past few years, filling in for injuries mainly.

Jackson has shown potential in the preseason, racking up 90 total rushing yards on 26 carries in two games. But the rookie is undoubtedly at the bottom of the depth chart in Dallas and will need to contribute elsewhere to squeeze onto the final roster.

Rod Smith is a reclamation project whom is most famous for being kicked off the Ohio State team in 2014 for a failed drug test. He made the transition from running back to fullback this offseason. Rod is also the brother of the Cowboys 2016 second round pick, Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith.

Keith Smith is another project; a converted linebacker to fullback, with the hands of a defender. It is unknown if either player will crack the final 53-man roster at their new position.

The Cowboys are going to have to make cuts, and it may be uncomfortable.

So what are the Cowboys to do? It makes no sense to keep six running backs on the 53-man roster come September 3rd. Cuts are going to have to be made, and it may be uncomfortable. Elliott is the future of the franchise, period. Dallas would not have taken him fourth overall in April’s NFL Draft if they did not think that way. Look at Dallas’ track record; the last two running backs Dallas took that high were Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith. Two words: Cowboys’ royalty.

Dallas’ starting backfield is obviously going to be Elliott and Morris. This will probably be in a two back set, but I do not expect Elliott to be used as a fullback; his skills are just too good. Does this mean that we will see him out in the flat in pistol or shotgun formations? Or maybe head coach Jason Garrett will line him up as a slot receiver and unbalance the line? Perhaps. The other option is a single-back set, bringing in Morris on third down. The good thing is that Dallas has options, more so than in years past.

The biggest decision Dallas is going to have to make is around McFadden. He is a big, strong back and I really do like him. But can he stay healthy? Even though he averaged 4.6 yards a carry last year, he is going to have work even harder to see much playing time. He is going to need to beat out Morris for the number two slot on the depth chart; easier said than done. But if the Cowboys opt to keep McFadden on NFI, meaning he will not take up a roster spot for the first six weeks of the year, than Dallas can wait to make that call.

If Dunbar remains on the team, which I believe he will, it will be as a kick returner and a third-down back. The same may be true for Jackson. I think Rod Smith will end up on the practice squad this year as he simply needs more time to develop at his new position. Keith Smith could be the favorite to become the Cowboys starting fullback, but the team may ultimately decide they need his roster spot in another area.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think people are too in love with Jackson's measurables and believe because he was a 5th round draft pick that there is no way he won't get picked up by another team. I think he is practice squad bound and if he is picked up by another team, I won't cry about it either. I don't think he is a special player at all, and he likely wouldn't get any carries this year. Even the 3rd back is unlikely to get a significant amount of carries let alone a 4th.

Elliott - Morris - Dunbar (McFadden on NFI, cut or traded after 6 weeks if Dunbar shows he can stay healthy, and neither Elliott or Morris are injured, basically a cheap insurance policy). Jackson (Practice Squad).

Way too much potential at other positions to take 4 or 5 halfbacks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think people are too in love with Jackson's measurables and believe because he was a 5th round draft pick that there is no way he won't get picked up by another team. I think he is practice squad bound and if he is picked up by another team, I won't cry about it either. I don't think he is a special player at all, and he likely wouldn't get any carries this year. Even the 3rd back is unlikely to get a significant amount of carries let alone a 4th.

Elliott - Morris - Dunbar (McFadden on NFI, cut or traded after 6 weeks if Dunbar shows he can stay healthy, and neither Elliott or Morris are injured, basically a cheap insurance policy). Jackson (Practice Squad).

I disagree. This team values Jackson. If they didn't, they wouldn't have drafted him after already drafting Elliott, having signed Morris, and having Dunbar returning. No, they saw something in the kid and want to keep him around.

If McFadden comes back to this team at all, he's in the last year of his contract anyway and won't be extended. And Dunbar is signed for just one season as well. After this season, the team could be looking at a threesome of Elliott, Morris, and Jackson, with Jackson possibly being the backup after 2017.

Way too much potential at other positions to take 4 or 5 halfbacks.

I'm not seeing that. If this team plans to run the ball as much as we think, you can never have too much quality depth, and I'd rather keep that than guys not deserving of a roster spot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jackson's only ticket on the 53 is special teams. He will most likely go on the practice squad. He is just a guy. The draft was full of guys with his ability.

If he's "just a guy", the team wouldn't have used a draft choice on him, after already drafting Elliott and having Morris, McFadden, and Dunbar on the roster. Doesn't add up.

Aven8

Reaction score
Dunbar as a KR again? Lol. You mean where he runs right into the tackler and gets hurt on the turf??

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dunbar as a KR again? Lol. You mean where he runs right into the tackler and gets hurt on the turf??

Why not?

At least we'd get his season-ending injury out of the way early! And then just activate McFadden and be done with it.

:laugh:

CCBoy

Reaction score
If he's "just a guy", the team wouldn't have used a draft choice on him, after already drafting Elliott and having Morris, McFadden, and Dunbar on the roster. Doesn't add up.

I agree, there was a plan with his selection. The team was building for depth into the future, and leaving flexibility in the now.

Reaction score
Zeke can, and should, be on the field in third down situations. He's a good pass catcher who could just as easily take the hand off and run. This makes a niche player like Dunbar a luxury IMO,,, trade Dunbar and put DMac on NFI. Jackson has shown plenty of promise,,, they should let him run with the ones tonight and sit Morris.

Aven8

Reaction score
Why not?

At least we'd get his season-ending injury out of the way early! And then just activate McFadden and be done with it.

:laugh:

Problem with Dmac is we got lucky with his health. People forget that he has been an injury prone player for his career. So with he and Dunbar, Jackson he a must to be on the 53.

lkelly

Reaction score
Clearly the smart thing to do is stash McFadden on some NFI list for part of the season and use that as insurance against one or more backs getting hurt. If some team wants to give up value for him in a trade (doubtful since he hasn't done anything this summer), then you consider it. The other smart plan is to hope Jackson sneaks on the practice squad as similar insurance. It's possible that they don't play him much the last 2 weeks of the preseason in order to hide him (give Dunbar some work and throw a bunch of carries the last week at guys you plan to cut). Jackson looks like he has potential to me and I'm sure teams like the Commanders are watching the crowded Dallas backfield numbers.

Aven8

Reaction score
Zeke can, and should, be on the field in third down situations. He's a good pass catcher who could just as easily take the hand off and run. This makes a niche player like Dunbar a luxury IMO,,, trade Dunbar and put DMac on NFI. Jackson has shown plenty of promise,,, they should let him run with the ones tonight and sit Morris.

I thought about this the other day. I could see a trade with NE of all people for Dunbar. Helping the rich yes, but at least in the AFC. Who do they have defensive wise that could help us? Hmmmm..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem with Dmac is we got lucky with his health. People forget that he has been an injury prone player for his career. So with he and Dunbar, Jackson he a must to be on the 53.

Totally agree. I think that if you have any plan whatsoever to keep Dunbar, his fragility and poor track record of injury forces you to keep four running backs. And McFadden's own history doesn't help to alleviate that at all.

I think if you keep either one of them, you'd better plan on having four.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly the smart thing to do is stash McFadden on some NFI list for part of the season and use that as insurance against one or more backs getting hurt. If some team wants to give up value for him in a trade (doubtful since he hasn't done anything this summer), then you consider it. The other smart plan is to hope Jackson sneaks on the practice squad as similar insurance. It's possible that they don't play him much the last 2 weeks of the preseason in order to hide him (give Dunbar some work and throw a bunch of carries the last week at guys you plan to cut). Jackson looks like he has potential to me and I'm sure teams like the Commanders are watching the crowded Dallas backfield numbers.

The McFadden plan makes sense to me. Any plan involving Jackson and practice squad doesn't.

Reaction score
I thought about this the other day. I could see a trade with NE of all people for Dunbar. Helping the rich yes, but at least in the AFC. Who do they have defensive wise that could help us? Hmmmm..

Wow, that's exactly who I was thinking of given the injury to Deon Lewis who has very similar skills IMO.

lkelly

Reaction score
The McFadden plan makes sense to me. Any plan involving Jackson and practice squad doesn't.

I want Dallas to hang on to him, but I also think it's short-sighted to try to keep an excess number of running backs on the active roster. Maybe if they dump the FB position. When the team has no reliable group of DL due to injuries and suspensions, you HAVE to go long there just to hope you have enough so as to not derail your season. A 4th string RB that covers kicks pales in comparison to a DE who might get 30 snaps one week.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want Dallas to hang on to him, but I also think it's short-sighted to try to keep an excess number of running backs on the active roster. Maybe if they dump the FB position. When the team has no reliable group of DL due to injuries and suspensions, you HAVE to go long there just to hope you have enough so as to not derail your season. A 4th string RB that covers kicks pales in comparison to a DE who might get 30 snaps one week.

I hear ya, but given the track records of McFadden and Dunbar, if you're considering keeping either or both, you have to plan accordingly, and that means keeping four running backs.

Neither of the fullback candidates has shown that they're good enough to keep a roster spot, much less yo force any of these guys off the roster.

They didn't draft Jackson - knowing they already had all the others - just to cut him and risk losing him trying to put him on their practice squad.

lkelly

Reaction score
They didn't draft Jackson - knowing they already had all the others - just to cut him and risk losing him trying to put him on their practice squad.

Almost every year they draft players, cut them, then sign them to the practice squad. I doubt they announce that as the plan in April in the war room, but it's just what happens. Rosters only hold 53.

Would you say this?

"They didn't draft Rico Gathers - knowing they already had all the others - just to cut him and risk losing him trying to put him on their practice squad."

He was drafted one spot after Jackson (order could have easily been reversed). Dallas has plenty of tight ends, just like their RB depth chart. Perhaps when these players were picked they thought that they had potential, they are protecting against injuries or poor performance by established veterans, and just in general "taking a shot" in the late rounds that you might hit on something. A guy near the end of the 6th round certainly isn't given the attention in a team's long term plan like their 1st round pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Almost every year they draft players, cut them, then sign them to the practice squad. I doubt they announce that as the plan in April in the war room, but it's just what happens. Rosters only hold 53.

How many of their recent drafted players went to the practice squad? You'd have to give me some examples because I don't remember any?

Would you say this?

"They didn't draft Rico Gathers - knowing they already had all the others - just to cut him and risk losing him trying to put him on their practice squad."

He was drafted one spot after Jackson (order could have easily been reversed). Dallas has plenty of tight ends, just like their RB depth chart. Perhaps when these players were picked they thought that they had potential, they are protecting against injuries or poor performance by established veterans, and just in general "taking a shot" in the late rounds that you might hit on something.

I don't think the individual player's situations are anything alike. Gathers is a long-term conversion project, Jackson isn't.

A guy near the end of the 6th round certainly isn't given the attention in a team's long term plan like their 1st round pick.

I don't see where anyone ever said that? You'll again have to point that out for me.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
They lost me when they said we were set to test out EE's ankle.