News: Dallas Cowboys Running Backs: The Five Horsemen?

lkelly

Reaction score
How many of their recent drafted players went to the practice squad? You'd have to give me some examples because I don't remember any?
Danny Coale
Will Smith
Ken Bishop
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (a year later)

There are likely others, just too lazy to do the research. I think if you look around the league, many practice squad spots are made up of players that teams cut towards the end and wanted to keep working with.

I don't think the individual player's situations are anything alike. Gathers is a long-term conversion project, Jackson isn't.

They were both picked at positions that Dallas had tons of depth in the same spot in the 6th round. I find that similar. Both face a big jump from college to the NFL as far as level of competition is concerned. If you want to go back a year, Dallas picked Laurence Gibson a few dozen spots later than where they drafted Jackson. They had a loaded OL and had used a more premium pick on Chaz Green earlier in the same draft. Gibson wasn't even good enough to warrant consideration for the practice squad.

I don't see where anyone ever said that? You'll again have to point that out for me.

I'm interpreting your statement that they didn't pick Jackson just to have him end up on the practice squad as "They used way too much draft capital to even think about letting this guy go." That's the sort of attitude that teams (rightly or wrongly) use for their first day or two picks like Zeke. Sometimes they draft a stiff in the first round and are too ego strapped to get rid of them. The player gets a few years grace period only due to draft position. With late round picks it isn't a scarlet letter of shame (and GM job risking - outside of our untouchable owner/GM) for the team.

I'm rooting for Jackson. He looks decent. I like him better than McFadden. If he can play special teams and be the 52nd or 53rd guy on the roster, he might stick around. There wouldn't be ESPN headlines if he's cut though because that's almost the expectation by the 6th round. If they can develop him on the practice squad and sign him late in the year if there's an injury, I see no problem with that. Maybe a team like Washington snaps him up or Jerry gives him a hefty practice squad raise like they did with Ryan Williams.

All hypotheticals at this point.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny Coale
Will Smith
Ken Bishop

There are likely others, just too lazy to do the research. I think if you look around the league, many practice squad spots are made up of players that teams cut towards the end and wanted to keep working with.

They were both picked at positions that Dallas had tons of depth in the same spot in the 6th round. I find that similar. Both face a big jump from college to the NFL as far as level of competition is concerned. If you want to go back a year, Dallas picked Laurence Gibson a few dozen spots later than where they drafted Jackson. They had a loaded OL and had used a more premium pick on Chaz Green earlier in the same draft. Gibson wasn't even good enough to warrant consideration for the practice squad.

I'm interpreting your statement that they didn't pick Jackson just to have him end up on the practice squad as "They used way too much draft capital to even think about letting this guy go." That's the sort of attitude that teams (rightly or wrongly) use for their first day or two picks like Zeke. Sometimes they draft a stiff in the first round and are too ego strapped to get rid of them. The player gets a few years grace period only due to draft position. With late round picks it isn't a scarlet letter of shame (and GM job risking - outside of our untouchable owner/GM) for the team.

I'm rooting for Jackson. He looks decent. I like him better than McFadden. If he can play special teams and be the 52nd or 53rd guy on the roster, he might stick around. There wouldn't be ESPN headlines if he's cut though because that's almost the expectation by the 6th round. If they can develop him on the practice squad and sign him late in the year if there's an injury, I see no problem with that. Maybe a team like Washington snaps him up or Jerry gives him a hefty practice squad raise like they did with Ryan Williams.

GIbson didn't want to stay on the Cowboy practice squad. He preferred to go to the practice squad of another team. He thought the Cowboys yelled at him too much.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I'd let McFadden and Dunbar go. Trade them if you can. Either way for me it would be Elliot, Morris and Jackson.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny Coale
Will Smith
Ken Bishop

Thanks for that research. :thumbup:

Yeah, but one guy actually played the position in college. Pretty big difference.

No, my meaning is that you never use draft equity on a player with the intent to cut them, be it permanently or to put them on your practice squad.

No doubt. But I'm not drafting a guy to risk losing him, and I don't think the Cowboys did either.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think people are too in love with Jackson's measurables and believe because he was a 5th round draft pick that there is no way he won't get picked up by another team. I think he is practice squad bound and if he is picked up by another team, I won't cry about it either. I don't think he is a special player at all, and he likely wouldn't get any carries this year. Even the 3rd back is unlikely to get a significant amount of carries let alone a 4th.

Elliott - Morris - Dunbar (McFadden on NFI, cut or traded after 6 weeks if Dunbar shows he can stay healthy, and neither Elliott or Morris are injured, basically a cheap insurance policy). Jackson (Practice Squad).

Way too much potential at other positions to take 4 or 5 halfbacks.
I thought the pick of Jackson was odd and I didn't expect anything from him. Now after 2 preseason games, I really like him. There are several other fringe players that I would cut before him. His rushing and receiving have been very good. He just needs to work on pass protection. I don't like him because of his measurable(s). I like him because of what I've seen in game footage.

His special teams ability probably does not matter that much because he likely would be inactive this year. Broaddus often claims certain players (Jackson, Rico Gathers, etc..) have to play special teams in order to make the roster; however, those players are likely to be inactive even if they make the 53, so their ST ability as a rookie is not really a big issue.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny how I created a thread yesterday morning on this, the 5 RB's, and now there is an article on it.
I want royalty "likes"...:laugh:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I thought the pick of Jackson was odd and I didn't expect anything from him. Now after 2 preseason games, I really like him. There are several other fringe players that I would cut before him. His rushing and receiving have been very good. He just needs to work on pass protection. I don't like him because of his measurable(s). I like him because of what I've seen in game footage.

His special teams ability probably does not matter that much because he likely would be inactive this year. Broaddus often claims certain players (Jackson, Rico Gathers, etc..) have to play special teams in order to make the roster; however, those players are likely to be inactive even if they make the 53, so their ST ability as a rookie is not really a big issue.

I'm all for him growing in instinct and in professional strengths...

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
My guess - 4 backs make the squad
Elliot
Morris
Dunbar
Jackson(won't make it to the PS)

Mcfadden, NFI until week six/traded or cut then

I think the cowboys just might keep 4 tightends and no Fullback instead of 3 tightends and one fullback

And I think they go with 2 Qb's (Romo and Dak) Showers to the PS

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Almost every year they draft players, cut them, then sign them to the practice squad. I doubt they announce that as the plan in April in the war room, but it's just what happens. Rosters only hold 53.

Would you say this?

"They didn't draft Rico Gathers - knowing they already had all the others - just to cut him and risk losing him trying to put him on their practice squad."

He was drafted one spot after Jackson (order could have easily been reversed). Dallas has plenty of tight ends, just like their RB depth chart. Perhaps when these players were picked they thought that they had potential, they are protecting against injuries or poor performance by established veterans, and just in general "taking a shot" in the late rounds that you might hit on something. A guy near the end of the 6th round certainly isn't given the attention in a team's long term plan like their 1st round pick.
Jackson has actually played though while Rico hasn't done anything. Your comparing apples to oranges. If Zeke or Morris was to get injuried Jackson could step in and run the ball. If Witten or Escobar get hurt Rico isn't stepping in to play.

Rico is raw and hasn't played football since high school......Jackson has played and produced in college

lkelly

Reaction score
Jackson has actually played though while Rico hasn't done anything. Your comparing apples to oranges. If Zeke or Morris was to get injuried Jackson could step in and run the ball. If Witten or Escobar get hurt Rico isn't stepping in to play.

Rico is raw and hasn't played football since high school......Jackson has played and produced in college

So if there's virtually no expectation of him being ready to play and therefore be worthy of a roster spot on the 53, why draft him?

lkelly

Reaction score
No, my meaning is that you never use draft equity on a player with the intent to cut them, be it permanently or to put them on your practice squad.

No doubt. But I'm not drafting a guy to risk losing him, and I don't think the Cowboys did either.

I think this is really where we differ. What their intent was in April often doesn't reflect their plans in September. Dallas didn't draft Quincy Carter with the intent that he'd be a drug washout. Arizona didn't draft Matt Leinart with the intent that he'd be beat out by a recycled Kurt Warner. Dallas didn't draft those 3 gazillion duds in 2009 so that they could be out of the league in short order.

Intent during the draft and decision making after seeing them play against real NFL competition are fairly independent exercises. At least they should be. The lousy GMs routinely throw good money after bad and will keep a guy in an attempt to justify a previous mistake. Each player should be evaluated on his own merits each season.

lkelly

Reaction score
GIbson didn't want to stay on the Cowboy practice squad. He preferred to go to the practice squad of another team. He thought the Cowboys yelled at him too much.

I stand corrected. Perhaps he was the perfect case study to use as an example.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So if there's virtually no expectation of him being ready to play and therefore be worthy of a roster spot on the 53, why draft him?
Nobody said he wasn't expected to play when drafted but the team knew he was a project and up to this point isn't game ready. Doesn't mean he can't get it together by end of preseason but that's not what we are talking about. You are grasping at straws

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is really where we differ. What their intent was in April often doesn't reflect their plans in September. Dallas didn't draft Quincy Carter with the intent that he'd be a drug washout. Arizona didn't draft Matt Leinart with the intent that he'd be beat out by a recycled Kurt Warner. Dallas didn't draft those 3 gazillion duds in 2009 so that they could be out of the league in short order.

But none of them were already overstocked at the position while adding another one.

Intent during the draft and decision making after seeing them play against real NFL competition are fairly independent exercises. At least they should be. The lousy GMs routinely throw good money after bad and will keep a guy in an attempt to justify a previous mistake. Each player should be evaluated on his own merits each season.

It seems now that you're trying to paint this guy as some draft bust. And that's not even close to accurate.

lkelly

Reaction score
But none of them were already overstocked at the position while adding another one.

It seems now that you're trying to paint this guy as some draft bust. And that's not even close to accurate.

Definitely not trying to paint him as a draft bust. I'm just pointing out that plans from April don't work out in September. That doesn't mean that the intention in April was what worked out.

At this point the discussion has devolved into silly semantics. I hope the guy makes the team for his sake. He's likely the third or fourth best back on the team as it stands right now. Wouldn't surprise me if he's cut. Whether that pleases you or angers you is really for you to manage.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Definitely not trying to paint him as a draft bust. I'm just pointing out that plans from April don't work out in September. That doesn't mean that the intention in April was what worked out.

At this point the discussion has devolved into silly semantics. I hope the guy makes the team for his sake. He's likely the third or fourth best back on the team as it stands right now. Wouldn't surprise me if he's cut. Whether that pleases you or angers you is really for you to manage.

Why does there have to be a personality conflict if presenting information for discussion?

For general outlooks, a three window snap shot proves little on any 'rook,' beyond fitting into a specific team's scheme and needs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It wouldn't do either one to be honest. I'm just saying that the team liked him enough to draft him, knowing what they already had, and that he deserves a chance to prove himself and not be written off as worthless, because he hasn't shown up that way thus far.

I don't expect any more for the kid than that, and I don't think McFadden should be gifted anything for having a good season last year while being injured now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why does there have to be a personality conflict if presenting information for discussion?

For general outlooks, a three window snap shot proves little on any 'rook,' beyond fitting into a specific team's scheme and needs.

This should read a three month window...

links18

Reaction score
One thing we know for sure is injuries will happen, stashing McFadden on NFI list is probably a good idea. Elliot and Morris aren't going anywhere and Dunbar is a pet cat. They spent a draft pick on Jackson, so they will probably roll with four guys on the active roster to start and bring McFadden in later to replace whoever goes down. Rod Smith is probably a goner and I have no idea who Keith Davis is. What happened to Clutts?

dallasdave

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Running Backs: The Five Horsemen:eek::eek::eek: Has to be the 4 Horsemen !!!! And which RB we be the Champ "Rick Flair " WHOOOOO !!!!