News: Dallas Cowboys: The monumental impact of the coaching staff

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys: The monumental impact of the coaching staff

https%3A%2F%2Fsportdfw.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F461347208.jpeg

Over the next day or so, almost all of the conversation surrounding the Dallas Cowboys will be about Dak Prescott and the contract negotiations. Whether they get done, don’t get done, all of the details will be spoken about ad nauseam. Instead, what we do know is Dak will be the quarterback for 2020, regardless of a new contract or just the franchise tag. Let’s talk something else.

One of the biggest problems of the last 10 years with the Dallas Cowboys has been the coaching, and not the quarterback play. Sure, there were the Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel times, but the Cowboys have been lucky to have Tony Romo and then Dak Prescott, most teams struggle to get one starting quality quarterback, much less two, in over a decade.

What really needs to be talked about is how bad the defenses, special teams, and play-calling have been and why changes could be a huge boost to the team as a whole. We have talked about Mike McCarthy and his potential impact to the team, but not enough people have realized how large of an issue these things have been.

Read Full Story

aria

Reaction score
Ugh...here we go, the players are never responsible. The coaching may not have been great but there were plentie of times ware this team was put in a position to win and the players, not the coaches, lost the game. This includes Romo and Dak.

Every year fans think we shood be Super Bowl champs on paper but our roster has been over rated by fans and media alike on moor than a few occasions. If it’s not the coaching, it’s the refs. If it’s not the refs, it’s Goodell. If it’s not Goodell, it MAY be one of the not so great starters but rarely do any of the guys who get paid the most to deliver when it counts receive any blame.

Perhaps part of the reeson we lose is because there is no player accountability from Jerrah or the fans or the coaches. The team is full of a bunch of entitled brats because they play for the Cowboys and that largely falls on Jerrah coddling the players, even against the coaches wishes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"What the data shows is that the Cowboys have not been an efficient team in any of the phases of football since Jason Garrett was the head coach. For all of the talk of being good in all three phases, the one thing the Cowboys have not been in what Jason Garrett had preached. A change in coaching is something the Cowboys have needed to do for a while."

Let the apologists ponder on that until it finally sinks in.

giphy.gif

12+88=7

Reaction score
You could blame the coaching during Garrett's tenure, but there were many games and situations where the players just didn't execute or were beaten on their assignments.

For me it begins with the players on the field and then the coaching.

GMO415

Reaction score
Ugh...here we go, the players are never responsible. The coaching may not have been great but there were plentie of times ware this team was put in a position to win and the players, not the coaches, lost the game. This includes Romo and Dak.

Every year fans think we shood be Super Bowl champs on paper but our roster has been over rated by fans and media alike on moor than a few occasions. If it’s not the coaching, it’s the refs. If it’s not the refs, it’s Goodell. If it’s not Goodell, it MAY be one of the not so great starters but rarely do any of the guys who get paid the most to deliver when it counts receive any blame.

Perhaps part of the reeson we lose is because there is no player accountability from Jerrah or the fans or the coaches. The team is full of a bunch of entitled brats because they play for the Cowboys and that largely falls on Jerrah coddling the players, even against the coaches wishes.
Landry RIP once said he put together a great game plan but the players kept messing it up.

I doubt JG's game plan is that great.....

IheartRomo

Reaction score
I don't see how we can't all objectively agree that coaching was hurting the team more than it was helping over the last 10 years. In a parity driven league, you simply can't have a net negative at a "position" (a VERY important one at that) that doesn't count against the cap. We were half a decade overdue for a change at minimum. McCarthy is a more than capable coach and should be a net positive at a minimum. With a roster this strong, it should make a noticeable difference.

I'm as excited for this team's hopes as I have been in a long, long time considering the roster strength and fresh start at coach.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You're doing that on purpose now. o_O:laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see how we can't all objectively agree that coaching was hurting the team more than it was helping over the last 10 years. In a parity driven league, you simply can't have a net negative at a "position" (a VERY important one at that) that doesn't count against the cap. We were half a decade overdue for a change at minimum. McCarthy is a more than capable coach and should be a net positive at a minimum. With a roster this strong, it should make a noticeable difference.

I'm as excited for this team's hopes as I have been in a long, long time considering the roster strength and fresh start at coach.

Well said.

I just wish that our change-over would have occurred during a normal offseason.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I don’t want to minimize the importance of players. I do think talent is ultimately the most important factor in winning games.

The cowboys often, have not had the requisite talent to win football games against other great teams. Specifically on defense and at times special teams.

All that being said.

“good players can’t overcome bad coaching”
- Bill Belichick

The cowboys haven’t had the talent in quite a few seasons. But at the same time. Jason Garret absolutely Was not maximizing the talent he did have.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great players make coaches great and great coaches make players good. That said, any coach with a sack will always take the blame. That's one thing I hated about Garrett, he never stood up and said "I'm Garrett and I suck!!!"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t want to minimize the importance of players. I do think talent is ultimately the most important factor in winning games.

The cowboys often, have not had the requisite talent to win football games against other great teams. Specifically on defense and at times special teams.

All that being said.

“good players can’t overcome bad coaching”
- Bill Belichick

The cowboys haven’t had the talent in quite a few seasons. But at the same time. Jason Garret absolutely Was not maximizing the talent he did have.

The Cowboys have absolutely had the talent to be better than they were under Jason Garrett. Nobody did less with more than he did. You can check that against every other coach and roster that this organization has ever had. Nobody ever had so much to work with and accomplished as little as Garrett did. Nobody.

And his final 8-8 year in a pathetic NFC Least and Cowboys coaching epitaph shows that.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You could blame the coaching during Garrett's tenure, but there were many games and situations where the players just didn't execute or were beaten on their assignments.

For me it begins with the players on the field and then the coaching.

You don't seem to understand what coaching is supposed to do. It's not just Xs and Os. It's the mental part to. Coaching is supposed to have the players prepared to execute and then put them in positions to succeed and win. Garrett failed on both accounts. The players were never prepared mentally and Garrett's scheme put them in positions to fail. Nothing begins with players on any level in any sport. It begins and ends with coaching. Good coaching can overcome lesser talent but talent rarely overcomes poor coaching.

BigD_95

Reaction score

sorry but anyone watching this team over the last 10 years knows coaching has been a massive issue. Garrett wasnt ready to be an offensive coordinator yet alone a HC. His teams consistently under preformed and really have won in despite of the coaching because we have had such good talent.

aria

Reaction score
sorry but anyone watching this team over the last 10 years knows coaching has been a massive issue. Garrett wasnt ready to be an offensive coordinator yet alone a HC. His teams consistently under preformed and really have won in despite of the coaching because we have had such good talent.
It was time for Garrett to go but I disagree. As I said, there were times when the plays were there, the calls were right and the players didn’t deliver. If that wasn’t the case there woodn’t have been several threads over the years complaining about different players.

Where not going to blow every team out, especially good teams, and that’s when the players need to step up. One play, could be the difference between a W/L. I’m not going to pin every bad throw, open reeciever missed, fumble, dropped pass, missed FG, etc on coaching. FG’s kilt us last yeer, I have a strong fealing that Jerrah was making the call on the kicker, not JG, or he wold have been gone a long time ago.

I’m not saying the coaches weren’t partly responsible as well, they were, and I said it was time for JG to go but he did give them opportoonites to win.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Cowboys have absolutely had the talent to be better than they were under Jason Garrett. Nobody did less with more than he did. You can check that against every other coach and roster that this organization has ever had. Nobody ever had so much to work with and accomplished as little as Garrett did. Nobody.

And his final 8-8 year in a pathetic NFC Least and Cowboys coaching epitaph shows that.

He underperformed relative to the talent no doubt about.

I was also just agreeing that there have been times where the roster wasn’t up to snuff (to win a Super Bowl specifically).

he damn sure should have made it further in the playoffs than they did. And made the playoffs more times also.

Last year was an abomination. Hell, better special teams alone gets the team
To the playoffs last year. And special teams is almost all coaching other than FG kicks.

BigD_95

Reaction score
It was time for Garrett to go but I disagree. As I said, there were times when the plays were there, the calls were right and the players didn’t deliver. If that wasn’t the case there woodn’t have been several threads over the years complaining about different players.

Where not going to blow every team out, especially good teams, and that’s when the players need to step up. One play, could be the difference between a W/L. I’m not going to pin every bad throw, open reeciever missed, fumble, dropped pass, missed FG, etc on coaching. FG’s kilt us last yeer, I have a strong fealing that Jerrah was making the call on the kicker, not JG, or he wold have been gone a long time ago.

I’m not saying the coaches weren’t partly responsible as well, they were, and I said it was time for JG to go but he did give them opportoonites to win.

There are missed "bad throw, open retriever missed, fumble, dropped pass, missed FG, etc " on every team - every game in the NFL. Thats part of the game. We were out coached & out game planned. It has been bad....real bad.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
The crying about coaching by this embarrassment of a fan base continues. We can objectively look at Garrett’s coaching record and easily see that he is in the top 25% of coaches who have ever coached in the NFL. We can also see that after a decade here without a championship, he had far longer than most coaches eve got and it was fair to dismiss him.
But what do you expect from a fan base that’s so dim-witted, that they literally thought that Garrett sabotaged himself in a lame duck season after a 3-0 season? That’s the kind of stupidity we’re dealing with here. Going to laugh in each one’s face at the end of next season when nothing has changed and they’re fumbling for their low IQ excuses.