Dallas Creating Shock-waves for themselves

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm not going to complain at all about DAK's contract, whatever it turns out to be. QB's are always paid more than they are worth when they are the team's franchise starter and future plan.

However, Dallas is painting themselves into some serious future issues with the other guys.
  • Huge payday for DLaw. He's a worker and effort guy who never cheats you, but most don't think he was worth that contract, and now that contract is the comparison for Quinn and all future DE's. It doesn't mean they will get the same money, but they will measure their worth by his contract.
  • Signed JSmith before we needed to and gave him a healthy extension. What happens when it's LVE's turn or the next LB who is key to our defense and future?
  • Signed Zeke to a huge deal as a RB we pound year in and year out, a guy who has been suspended, and a guy who hasn't been used effectively in the pass game other than as a blocker. Luckily we don't have to pay 2 RB's, but the next starter after Zeke is going to eyeball how that contract went down.
  • Whatever we pay Cooper to keep him, assuming it's something huge, possibly more than he deserves compared with the top receivers is going to impact Gallup in the next year or two.
  • The same thing snowballed through 3/5's of our OL, all pro-bowlers, and then it impacted the early extension we gave Collins. The Collins deal looks really good now because he played as well as anyone this past season, but at the time we signed him, he had not played up to those numbers at RT.
Now we have all these free agents throughout our roster, some of them important pieces. It's not my money, so I'm fine if it's possible to pay everyone, but while Dallas has done a great job of getting out of CAP Hell and putting themselves in solid position after a decade or more, now we let all of these players' contracts expire at the same time, not just star players, but also solid contributors. Jerry and Stephen are still learning on the job after all these years.

And when it's time to sign the next hot thing at DL, LB, OL, WR, RB, they are all going to see how Dallas opened the vault for the last guy, whether they believe they are that caliber of player or not.

The only position where Dallas is holding the line on pay is CB and S......in a passing league.

I hope it all works out, but I still don't understand the philosophy.

snapper

Reaction score
They are are in win-now mode, Chuck 54. Simple as that.

Most of the pieces are in place to make a Super Bowl run in the near future, if not this year.

I say load up and to heck with the future. Let's win now, baby!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
They are are in win-now mode, Chuck 54. Simple as that.

Most of the pieces are in place to make a Super Bowl run in the near future, if not this year.

I say load up and to heck with the future. Let's win now, baby!
I'm okay with that, but how are you in a win now mode when you let half your roster become UFAs at the exact same time? What's the philosophy in that? If you lose Jones and lots of other contributors, how do you win now?

snapper

Reaction score
I'm okay with that, but how are you in a win now mode when you let half your roster become UFAs at the exact same time? What's the philosophy in that? If you lose Jones and lots of other contributors, how do you win now?

It's a solid roster of core players.

With a new coaching staff, it would be easy to blow it all up and start over. Play the 2020 season for a high draft pick. I don't think we want that, though, do we?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They have 18 to 20 FA's every year, and it always works itself out. This year they have around 24 FA's, but they knew that by signing many players to 1 year prove it deals.
The FA's they lose will be replaced by and equal FA or draft.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
They have 18 to 20 FA's every year, and it always works itself out. This year they have around 24 FA's, but they knew that by signing many players to 1 year prove it deals.
The FA's they lose will be replaced by and equal FA or draft.

And out of them 24 FA, most of them are replaceable.

Dak, Cooper, Cobb, Ladouceur, Brown, Lee or Malcolm Smith will probably be back. Jarwin and Woods most likely tendered. Thats 8, Didnt Dallas sign like 8 guys to futures deals? Thats 16 replaced. I know most wont stick, but Dallas had Mitch Hyatt and Daniel Wise who most likely will be on the 53 this yr.

Media wants to keep this team in the headlines because its money for them in.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys under Jerry are always on a 1 year plan to win now. Always, which is why they have not won anything in 25 years. The Cowboys will never do what the Dolphins did last year - blow up a season to stockpile draft picks so they can rebuild.

Case in point, the Cowboys were probably as close to a contender as they have been in a long time in 2018 and 2019. Now look at where they are in 2020 - 25 free agents, including a bunch of starters on the defense who they cannot sign because they have committed so much money to Zeke, DLaw and soon to Dak and Cooper. Once Dak and Amari are paid, the imbalance of cap money to the offense will be ridiculous and most of the cap expenditure on defense will go to DLaw. That's no way to build a winning team. But, hey, we were one or two players away again. Give Jerry credit for getting so close!

When the Cowboys take the field in 2020, they will be a worse team than the one that took the field in 2019. You can take that to the bank. But now we have Mike McCarthy who is going to coach them to a Super Bowl, don't you know. But when they fail, it will reinforce Jerry's notion that its not the coach.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys fans have become terrified of the salary cap as if the team shouldn't pay any top dollar contracts. I used to be the same way, but having salary cap space doesn't do you any good if you're too afraid to spend it and if you aren't overpaying your best players then you'll probably overpaying your mediocre to poor players in order to meet the salary cap minimum.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not going to complain at all about DAK's contract, whatever it turns out to be. QB's are always paid more than they are worth when they are the team's franchise starter and future plan.

However, Dallas is painting themselves into some serious future issues with the other guys.
  • Huge payday for DLaw. He's a worker and effort guy who never cheats you, but most don't think he was worth that contract, and now that contract is the comparison for Quinn and all future DE's. It doesn't mean they will get the same money, but they will measure their worth by his contract.
  • Signed JSmith before we needed to and gave him a healthy extension. What happens when it's LVE's turn or the next LB who is key to our defense and future?
  • Signed Zeke to a huge deal as a RB we pound year in and year out, a guy who has been suspended, and a guy who hasn't been used effectively in the pass game other than as a blocker. Luckily we don't have to pay 2 RB's, but the next starter after Zeke is going to eyeball how that contract went down.
  • Whatever we pay Cooper to keep him, assuming it's something huge, possibly more than he deserves compared with the top receivers is going to impact Gallup in the next year or two.
  • The same thing snowballed through 3/5's of our OL, all pro-bowlers, and then it impacted the early extension we gave Collins. The Collins deal looks really good now because he played as well as anyone this past season, but at the time we signed him, he had not played up to those numbers at RT.
Now we have all these free agents throughout our roster, some of them important pieces. It's not my money, so I'm fine if it's possible to pay everyone, but while Dallas has done a great job of getting out of CAP Hell and putting themselves in solid position after a decade or more, now we let all of these players' contracts expire at the same time, not just star players, but also solid contributors. Jerry and Stephen are still learning on the job after all these years.

And when it's time to sign the next hot thing at DL, LB, OL, WR, RB, they are all going to see how Dallas opened the vault for the last guy, whether they believe they are that caliber of player or not.

The only position where Dallas is holding the line on pay is CB and S......in a passing league.

Player pay tends to track with the salary cap.

Fans/media get overwhelmed by the big numbers but max QB contracts tend to stay in the 15% to 18% of the cap range.

18% will be about 36M for 2020.

The 2015 Dez contract would be right at 20M today in terms of percent of cap. Now fans media are making a big deal of Cooper at 20M on a 5 year, 100M deal.

The 2012 Megatron contract would be 27M per today...

kskboys

Reaction score

Scattershooting.

Because under Jerry, we have no plan.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cowboys fans have become terrified of the salary cap as if the team shouldn't pay any top dollar contracts. I used to be the same way, but having salary cap space doesn't do you any good if you're too afraid to spend it and if you aren't overpaying your best players then you'll probably overpaying your mediocre to poor players in order to meet the salary cap minimum.
Yes, but on the flip side of that, overpaying average talent is worse. Keeps you from taking that next step.

foofighters

Reaction score

Were you pause-acting in your title? I can see William Shatner saying that for dramatic effect. We've been dealing with contract issues forever...just a normal day in Dallas.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

And if they didn’t do these things you’d be *****ing about them sitting on their hands doing nothing.