Dallas Creating Shock-waves for themselves

fansince68

Reaction score
Yes. You are starting to catch on. We should have moved on from Tank and got picks out of its and saved that cap hit.
It's hard to move on when the owner wont stay out of the locker room. He develops personal connections with his players which can be detrimental to head coach as well as contract negotiations. How do you tell a "friend" no?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas will need a few years to build yet so it can still work out to make a run In the future.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It's called getting rid of dead weight for more cap space to keep the top tier players they need/have. Why is this so hard to comprehend?!

ultron

Reaction score
We have a bunch of good players - you have to pay good players to stay here, now we have to hope we have the right coach to take these good players to the promise land. Period.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I understand but that’s not what I was referring to.

Do you think using a 1st round pick for a player we only used for a season and a half was cheap?

Yes.. It was very cheap. Now it will not be cheap.

We acquired a pro bowl WR and paid him nothing for almost 2 seasons.

It was an expensive investment but cheap financially.. Dallas needed to go all in financially while they had a cheap QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
Signed Zeke to a huge deal as a RB we pound year in and year out, a guy who has been suspended, and a guy who hasn't been used effectively in the pass game other than as a blocker. Luckily we don't have to pay 2 RB's, but the next starter after Zeke is going to eyeball how that contract went down.

Not much I can say about the rest of your post as they are legit concerns. I agree with it. What I'd worry more about is the way the owner of the Cowboys is handling some of these high profile players. He is setting the precedent that those that wait him out get paid. Everyone should be handled like they did Byron and Jaylon.

I quoted this portion of the post because It's one area I wouldn't worry about. Zeke is supposed to be an exceptional back. The next starter is probably going to be treated like Demarco Murray, thanks, don't call us, we'll call you. And Murray was a pretty good back IMO. Now whether or not Zeke lives up to his contract is an entirely different story, but the Cowboys can dump him after 2021 or 2022 if need be. It might hurt Jerry in his wallet, but not too bad for the Cowboys cap situation if Zeke is who he is supposed to be.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They are are in win-now mode, Chuck 54. Simple as that.

Most of the pieces are in place to make a Super Bowl run in the near future, if not this year.

I say load up and to heck with the future. Let's win now, baby!

I keep reading here about our Super Bowl caliber roster but 8-8 says otherwise.

What's that? Coaching?

We had a team win a SB with Barry bleepin' Switzer - that was a Super Bowl roster. There's nothing to suggest this current bunch is of that level.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The Cowboys under Jerry are always on a 1 year plan to win now. Always, which is why they have not won anything in 25 years. The Cowboys will never do what the Dolphins did last year - blow up a season to stockpile draft picks so they can rebuild.

Case in point, the Cowboys were probably as close to a contender as they have been in a long time in 2018 and 2019. Now look at where they are in 2020 - 25 free agents, including a bunch of starters on the defense who they cannot sign because they have committed so much money to Zeke, DLaw and soon to Dak and Cooper. Once Dak and Amari are paid, the imbalance of cap money to the offense will be ridiculous and most of the cap expenditure on defense will go to DLaw. That's no way to build a winning team. But, hey, we were one or two players away again. Give Jerry credit for getting so close!

When the Cowboys take the field in 2020, they will be a worse team than the one that took the field in 2019. You can take that to the bank. But now we have Mike McCarthy who is going to coach them to a Super Bowl, don't you know. But when they fail, it will reinforce Jerry's notion that its not the coach.
what on earth is this team going to do without the filo's and browns, and goodwins, and rushes, not to mention the march's and the Redmonds of the nfl. losing these types of guys is going to cripple this team.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
It’s not hard to understand that’s something is seriously wrong when a team has 10-12 guys demanding to
3 or so money at their position and yet the team hasn’t come close to winning anything important yet. A team in the position Dallas is today should have at least one super bowl under their belt as they decide if it’s worth it to try and keep it together.

snapper

Reaction score

What's that? Coaching?

We had a team win a SB with Barry bleepin' Switzer - that was a Super Bowl roster. There's nothing to suggest this current bunch is of that level.

I see glass half full. Sorry if you're glass is half empty.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What's that? Coaching?
If McCarthy was coaching last season, the Cowboys would likely have been in the NFCCG.

It's much closer to a SB roster than the naysayers want you to believe. Just changing kickers when needed would have resulted in a 10-6 record.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The only position where Dallas is holding the line on pay is CB and S......in a passing league.

I hope it all works out, but I still don't understand the philosophy.
If you look around the league recently, teams are dumping secondary salaries for previous mistakes.

aria

Reaction score
Lol @ pieces in place. That’s what I keep hearing but outside of the O line and a couple other positions I don’t see it and I also see a lot of complaining about the majority of our roster or the “he’s not worth it” comments.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm not going to complain at all about DAK's contract, whatever it turns out to be. QB's are always paid more than they are worth when they are the team's franchise starter and future plan.

However, Dallas is painting themselves into some serious future issues with the other guys.
  • Huge payday for DLaw. He's a worker and effort guy who never cheats you, but most don't think he was worth that contract, and now that contract is the comparison for Quinn and all future DE's. It doesn't mean they will get the same money, but they will measure their worth by his contract.
  • Signed JSmith before we needed to and gave him a healthy extension. What happens when it's LVE's turn or the next LB who is key to our defense and future?
  • Signed Zeke to a huge deal as a RB we pound year in and year out, a guy who has been suspended, and a guy who hasn't been used effectively in the pass game other than as a blocker. Luckily we don't have to pay 2 RB's, but the next starter after Zeke is going to eyeball how that contract went down.
  • Whatever we pay Cooper to keep him, assuming it's something huge, possibly more than he deserves compared with the top receivers is going to impact Gallup in the next year or two.
  • The same thing snowballed through 3/5's of our OL, all pro-bowlers, and then it impacted the early extension we gave Collins. The Collins deal looks really good now because he played as well as anyone this past season, but at the time we signed him, he had not played up to those numbers at RT.
Now we have all these free agents throughout our roster, some of them important pieces. It's not my money, so I'm fine if it's possible to pay everyone, but while Dallas has done a great job of getting out of CAP Hell and putting themselves in solid position after a decade or more, now we let all of these players' contracts expire at the same time, not just star players, but also solid contributors. Jerry and Stephen are still learning on the job after all these years.

And when it's time to sign the next hot thing at DL, LB, OL, WR, RB, they are all going to see how Dallas opened the vault for the last guy, whether they believe they are that caliber of player or not.

The only position where Dallas is holding the line on pay is CB and S......in a passing league.

I hope it all works out, but I still don't understand the philosophy.
I guess I see your point.

Forever, since the FA and Cap Era started, we have decided to sign long term deals to the star players..

and support them with interchangable less expensive players..

It never has been successful.

But you are not suggesting how to fix it.

Is that your next post?

We doing installments? It's off season, why not?

:angry:

I agree about us working hard to get out of cap hell. I realize it was because the FO knew what was coming.

I would prefer to not repeat bad history right now. The team has again decided to put all it's chips into a half dozen players and thinks they can sign the rest cheaply and coach them all up.

Clearly Jerrah is trying to pull another Jimmy Johnson out of his hat. He wants to take a Coach who has won at the highest levels but hit rough times and need a new start.

Johnson did this at UM. He had to leave there as his team's were getting repremanded in the press for bad behavior. So he came with Jerrah to Dallas.

McCarthy lost his touch in GB and left after he and Rodgers fell out and he sat a year out.

Jerrah quickly scooped him up once McCarthy put his hat back in the Ring.

I have made several posts about this stuff here in various threads but get little real discussion on solutions, just more problem highlighting.

If you have answers, post them..we can discuss.

:grin:

conner01

Reaction score
You have to look at the structure of each deal
A prime example is zeke
We can get out fairly cheap after 3 more years. Less than 7 mil
I suspect if you look at Dlaw its very similar
And when they sign Dak it won’t be expensive for a couple years