Dallas Defense: 7th overall. 8th scoring

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sadly for the NFL, there only 3-4 really strong all-around defenses this year.

As a result, Dallas' defense is actually rated as one the best of the rest.

• 7th in pass defense
  • 15th in rush defense
  • 7th in overall defense (by yards)
  • 8th in scoring defense

Please don't compare theses defenses to those back in 2012, 2013, etc.
This defense is light years better than those were.

We just wish they were better still.
Like what they have in San Francisco, for example.
not sure what it is. all the stats look good, including 3rd down percentage (getting off the field), but this defense has been bad against GB, Jets, Minny, Detroit. It seems like the old bend but don't break defense. the LBs seem out of place most times and instead of attacking like they did last year, they are reading and reacting....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sadly for the NFL, there only 3-4 really strong all-around defenses this year.

As a result, Dallas' defense is actually rated as one the best of the rest.

• 7th in pass defense
  • 15th in rush defense
  • 7th in overall defense (by yards)
  • 8th in scoring defense

Please don't compare theses defenses to those back in 2012, 2013, etc.
This defense is light years better than those were.

We just wish they were better still.
Like what they have in San Francisco, for example.

Interesting. I would have thought they were bottom of the league. How could they not be in rushing?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
When you are 15th against anything, passing or rushing, you stink! Forget ratings. When you are 15th vs rushing, teams run the ball on you and don’t need to pass as much. We have nothing solid on defense and thus are incapable of making a team one dimensional. Despite complaints about our DTs and safeties, I believe we have enough talent to be able to shut down at least one part of an offense. My knee jerk reaction is to blame the defensive coaches, but I’m not expert enough to really know that....but there has definitely been a problem with our defense recently. They were playing better earlier this season.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
This is the most polite way I've ever heard someone just challenge someones IQ and tell them to shut the hell up at the same time.

How exactly did that post challenge my IQ when he legit said:

Do you mean we really aren't that good? That is probably true.

Which is what I'm implying and trying to tell you? You're trying to make it out that this defense something that it isn't, AKA Good,

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah there's no way the stats added to us being ranked that high, we should all follow you. I dont know if your just not a cowboy fan, or a troll; or you may not watch any other football team but Dallas. But there are a lot of terrible defenses out there that are way worse than ours.
This defense is pretty good on paper, but not on the field. We make everyone look good.
This defense needs some real help and more focus in coaching.

simplycowboys210

Reaction score
How exactly did that post challenge my IQ when he legit said:

Which is what I'm implying and trying to tell you? You're trying to make it out that this defense something that it isn't, AKA Good,
Yeah I really don't like you lol. What he/I was implying is yes COULD our defense be better, well yeah. And guess what, even the best defense in the NFL could be better, they could allow NO touchdowns, NO first downs, NO yards but it wont happen. You know why? because everyone out there is the best of the best and things are gonna happen. What they stats say off of raw data is that our defense is the seventh best at overall defense. So if you cant accept that than go coach or change it. Until than, sit.

DFWJC

Reaction score
When you are 15th against anything, passing or rushing, you stink! Forget ratings. When you are 15th vs rushing, teams run the ball on you and don’t need to pass as much. We have nothing solid on defense and thus are incapable of making a team one dimensional. Despite complaints about our DTs and safeties, I believe we have enough talent to be able to shut down at least one part of an offense. My knee jerk reaction is to blame the defensive coaches, but I’m not expert enough to really know that....but there has definitely been a problem with our defense recently. They were playing better earlier this season.
I was going to point out that the difference this year in rush defense between 15th and 8th or so is very tiny. A few yards total per game.
That's why even with the 15th ranked rush defense our overall total defense is still 7th.

Bottom line is that there aren't many great defenses this year--certainly including Dallas. But there are a TON worse than ours.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Dallas's defense is more about scheme than personnel. I am not crazy about their DTs and safeties but still there is an element to this defense that I think is scheme. I'd like to see them play more aggressive even if it means giving up the occasional big play. Maybe controlled aggression is the best way to describe it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just goes to show stats do not always tell the entire story. May be ranked top 10, but they sure look like bottom 10.
:laugh:
I hear you
But have you watched all 32 teams for all of their games?
Defense is down all around this this year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:laugh:
I hear you
But have you watched all 32 teams for all of their games?
Defense is down all around this this year.

Well I have thought of that, but didn't post it. If this D looks this bad, then many of the other teams defenses must really suck. :lmao:

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
These stats are ridiculous. Our defense can’t stop anyone when it matters.

Anyone else ever notice how the games highest paid RB slams himself into the opposing defense for one yard all the time, while our defense allows average RB’s 5-6 positive yards over and over? Maddening......
Except that our defense is only allowing 4.2 ypc. The vaunted NE defense that we face on Sunday is allowing 4.6 ypc.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Pollard will get his 2 set series, in each half, plus some other plays here and there. They did have them in the back field at the same time yesterday.
They got away from that, so it was nice to see it again. They will need that and Pollard's shiftiness and quickness and speed against NE.

Pollard can be an X factor in the game. Hope they use him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Upcoming teams' current Pass Defense rankings

New England....2nd
Buffalo...3rd
Chicago...11th
LA Rams...15th
Philly...17th
Washington...16th

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
stats, schmats.... their scheme doesn't look that effective, just giving up yards and yards, and then trying to hold teams to FGs. No deception, little blitzing, the same 3rd down line stunt....come on, man!!!!

Fire all the coaches if this is the best scheme and plays they can come up with week in, week out. Just pitiful.

I think the players could produce a solid defense, almost stifling at times, if they simply could be put in better positions....with some mixed in deception to try to get into the QB's head, some pre-game chess match, especially for young QBs.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
These stats are ridiculous. Our defense can’t stop anyone when it matters.

Anyone else ever notice how the games highest paid RB slams himself into the opposing defense for one yard all the time, while our defense allows average RB’s 5-6 positive yards over and over? Maddening......
Ever notice how Dak has thrown for 400+ yards the last two games?

Those things just totally can't be related at all...