Dallas Players Choked

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don’t understand all the knee-jerk blaming of the coaches for what happened yesterday.

People want to fire the head coach; the head coach is not responsible when players choke. We ran the ball effectively and smacked the Giants in the mouth, Barber gaining over 100 yards in the first half. We had a 20 play, 10 minute, 90 yard drive for the go ahead TD, leaving only 47 seconds in the half. Every coach in the NFL would be playing a safe zone in that situation, but they would expect their players to react and play the receivers and the ball, and they might even expect them to make a tackle.

We did NOT run the ball too much…it was beautiful. The Giants were playing to protect their secondary, so we took advantage of it with Barber. Had they stacked the line to stop the run, we would have passed more.

Coaching is not why the kickoff and punt coverage units gave up their lanes and missed tackles. Coaching is not why we had Nate Jones take a deep kickoff away from Austin when they were standing toe to toe at the goalline. I did wonder why we didn’t use Newman instead of Crayton on those last two Giant punts from deep in their own territory.

As aggrevating as the defense can be and has been for several years, and as deflating as that 47 second, 70 yard TD drive was before the half, the bottom line is that the defense only gave up 21 points to a very potent Giants offense that had been on a roll. The defense had two 3 and outs in a row when we really needed them down the stretch, giving our offense the ball in great field position twice, once at the Giant 48 and once at our own 43 because Crayton choked and dropped the punt.

The offense choked even bigger than the Special Teams, imo. When we really needed them, they lost their aggressiveness. Suddenly Columbo is getting bull rushed, Barber is getting rolled over at the QBs feet, and Adams throws a punch to the DE’s face and then lets him run right by him instead of just staying in front of him and getting his hands on him. The OL played scared down the stretch. Crayton killed us. As bad as that 3rd down drop was (on a truly remarkable play and sidearm pass by Romo), what he did on that pass to the endzone on the next to last play of the game really boggles my mind. He ran by the CB, had him beat, and seemed to just stop like “I’m not the primary guy” when Romo had a TD to him if he just ran. Romo had a TD to Owens if the OL hadn’t let him get drilled, making the pass come up short.

The bottom line was this Jason Garrett offense with all its probowlers and stars back on the field, along with a 100 yard rusher, only put up 17 points…yet I hear people wanting to fire Wade and hire Garrett…yeah, that makes sense.

The way the offense tanked the past 5 games, I think I’d question Garrett’s genius before I’d question Wade Phillips.

I remember when Parcells took Campo’s 5-11 team to the playoffs with a 10-6record and got a lot of credit for it. Now Wade took Parcells’ players who went 9-7 last season to an 11-3 record, but he’s getting blasted…makes no sense to me. These aren’t even Wade’s players. He had to play his defense with the type of guys Parcells put together.

I’ll close with two thoughts which I find very important to consider:

1. This offseason it will be very interesting to see whom Wade goes after in FA and the draft because it’s going to say a great deal about whom he sees as the weak links that may be keeping him from running his defense the way he wants.

2. Parcells was the head coach…Zimmer was the defensive coordinator…we know what we got with that defense. Wade Phillips is the head coach and runs a different style of defense, but we get the same results with the same players. Maybe it’s not the coaching…maybe some of these guys aren’t as good as we pretend they are because as weak as Reeves is in the secondary, I thought Henry and Newman both looked bad as well with plenty of balls being caught in their areas and lots of missed tackles. I’ll also add that this was not a particulary good game for Roy Williams either.

I’m sick about this game, but I’m certainly not going to blame Wade Phillips. I think some of the players choked, and others let NY smack them in the mouth. We all have our thoughts on which players walk on water and where the weak links exist; the offseason will show us what the coaching staff thinks about this team.

Sidenote, I was very happy with Romo’s performance.

hmcorp

Reaction score
coach didnt prepare the players.

their minds were not focused. and they have been undisciplined all year.

wades gameplan for defense sucked too.

we should have been up 14-0 in the first half.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
hmcorp;1899873 said:
coach didnt prepare the players.

their minds were not focused. and they have been undisciplined all year.

wades gameplan for defense sucked too.

we should have been up 14-0 in the first half.

So we beat them twice during the year with an undisciplined team.

I wasn't happy with that one drive before the half either, but to blame the defense for this game is off base.

First game...defense gave up 35 points and we won.
Second meeting...defense gave up 20 points and we won.

This game, playoff game, with all their offensive players healthy and their secondary hurting, we give up 21 points and lose because our offense only scores 17, despite the defense stopping the Gmen twice and giving us the ball at midfield twice in the final two series....0 points.

I blame the offense...giving up 21 total points in the playoffs isn't bad. Scoring only 17 will never win a playoff game unless you're the '85 Bears.

Ren

Reaction score
No one is going to give you anything cause you won 13 games in the reg season if you don't go out there and take it the other team will that's what happened today .

pure choke

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wayne, I watched the fat hillbilly's tired act in Buffalo. He couldn't win playoff games there and he can't here.

If he was fired tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The offense blew it- but the playcalling was not great either in the second half. BUT it was good enough if Crayton and others catch the ball. IF the O line did its job. If Romo played just a little better late.
Bottom line is that the WHOLE team blew this game. From Wade on down.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I agree wayne. The players shot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes all day long. Is that part of Wade's philosophy? Perhaps but it there is not enough evidence IMO to convict Phillips of such a charge.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
The gameplan was pathetic. It was almost identicle to watching the Seattle game last year. We are facing a depleted secondary and managed exactly zero big passing plays, and barely even tested them..

Chuck 54

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1900044 said:
Wayne, I watched the fat hillbilly's tired act in Buffalo. He couldn't win playoff games there and he can't here.

Who knows, maybe, but he wasn't running the offense or the special teams, which in my opinion were more serious problems than the defense today.

I still think some of our players choked, and I don't blame the coach for their poor play...I didn't see it as scheme.

Ren

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1900044 said:

Got to feel a little bad for Wade, he's is a good guy, maybe a little to nice and relaxed. that's not going to get the job done.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
windward;1900082 said:
I agree wayne. The players shot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes all day long. Is that part of Wade's philosophy? Perhaps but it there is not enough evidence IMO to convict Phillips of such a charge.

The number of penalties was ridiculous.

I'm see the "pledge" the hillbilly had the players sign made a big difference.:rolleyes:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
If you're not ready to catch a frigging ball after two weeks, you're a loser and no coach in the world is going to change that.

The players lost this game, not the coaches.
Romo played like crap 2nd half and Crayton single-handedly tried to hand the Giants a gift all by himself.

Maybe Crayton will have learned something from this and can do better as our 3rd receiver next year.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
The players deserve their fair share of blame for the loss but when it became apparent that the o-line was starting to falter why didn't they call for slants, screens, and three-drops? Very puzzling play calling towards the end.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne motley;1900096 said:
Who knows, maybe, but he wasn't running the offense or the special teams, which in my opinion were more serious problems than the defense today.

I still think some of our players choked, and I don't blame the coach for their poor play...I didn't see it as scheme.

Hey, I'm not letting the players off the hook Wayne.

Romo needs to get his head out of his arse and stop thinking he's some kind of playboy.

And the number of penalties committed was flat-out insane.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Actually, in spite of everything else, if Crayton just keeps running and catches the ball, we beat the Giants and go to the NFC Championship game. It was real close.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My point about the players is that these are the players who choked under Parcells and choked under Phillips...I'm just looking at the common denominator.

When things are going well, no one wants to listen, but we have serious issues at WR outside of TO. We have a glaring weakness at FB for a team that wants to use one. We are not nearly as good on the OL as many think...Colombo was owned by Strahan. The guy didn't rack up huge sack numbers because Colombo got lots of help all game, but look at his freakin' tackle numbers for a DE....unbelievable.

We have serious issues at CB and SS, and we could be better at DE.

Crayton is not the answer, and I don't say that because of today's drops...he is a #3 WR at best, and not one that will drive teams crazy like Welker...he's average.

You can say that Parcells didn't have the team ready, and you can say Wade didn't have the team ready, but this is the divisional playoffs at home...what the heck does the coach have to do? I felt we had taken over the game in the first half....we had the lead in the third quarter with chances to add to it, but we made mistakes, and when the Giants took the lead, we choked.

Same players...same results. I'll be interested to see the direction Wade looks in the offseason.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
wayne motley;1899832 said:
Parcells was the head coach…Zimmer was the defensive coordinator…we know what we got with that defense. Wade Phillips is the head coach and runs a different style of defense, but we get the same results with the same players. Maybe it’s not the coaching…maybe some of these guys aren’t as good as we pretend they are

:hammer:

you mean the likes of J.Jones, Crayton, Spears, Williams, etc who said that this year would be different after Parcell's left?

:bang2:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1900127 said:
Hey, I'm not letting the players off the hook Wayne.

Romo needs to get his head out of his arse and stop thinking he's some kind of playboy.

And the number of penalties committed was flat-out insane.

I'm one person that thinks Romo couldn't have played much better. I think the grounding call was bogus...they could call that every time a QB throws the ball in the stands in the endzone...he had no one near him and wasn't avoiding a sack.

I'm sure we were all angry when he took one of those sacks...the other one would have been very dangerous to try and throw it away with two guys on him...could have been a turnover.

Still, that pass to Crayton was one that would have been replayed as much as Favre's in the snow if Crayton catches it...it was unbelievable....two guys crushing down on him, one jumping high right in front of him, he sidearms it and hits a guy running across right in the hands. You won't see a better pass.

He threw a very good pass at the end when Crayton quit running...he threw a great pass to TO streaking down the sidelines that was either dropped or barely tipped away. He came back from penalty after penalty after penalty...he threw a great pass over the LB to Witten. He was hit almost every time in the fourth quarter and threw most of his balls without the luxury of stepping into them.

Just a difference of opinion, but I didn't see hardly any bad passes by Romo today. Even the one he missed TO on the goalline he was force up in the pocket right up against the linemen and had to take his arm almost straight up in the air to get high enough...I feel like he threw it into the only window/lane he had.

NY didn't have guys dropping passes, very few missing tackles in the secondary, and they drilled our guys when they caught passes...and their OL tightened up late in the game instead of falling apart.

It makes me sick, but they deserved it. Now I have to pull for them because I hate GB even more and don't want to see Favre get another SB....It seems NY and SD are both going into next week beat up.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
hats off to barber/ware. the rest off the team:bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: