Dallas probable picks and why

Sandyf

Reaction score
These are some of the guys that Dallas targets and reasons I believe why.

Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina - 30 visit, fits the slot, team captain, can play multiple WR positions, probably goes 2nd round early to middle

Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi St. - has Fletcher Cox type qualities, 3 tech guy, injury will push him into 2nd round most likely but only due to the fact that teams want their 1st round to contribute right away, similar to why we were able to draft Jaylon Smith eventhough he was a top 5 talent, 30 visit guy, would require trading our 2020 1st round to get him

Juan Thornhill S Virginia - size and length Richard likes, probably most versatile of the safeties this year, great character, a late 2nd round guy or early 3rd round guy

Taylor Rapp S Washington - team captain, moldable, good size and length, good run stopper, fits the box safety but believe they want Thornhill first, Rapp probably goes in 3rd round much to many dismays

JoeJuan Williams CB Vanderbilt - size and length and moldability that Richard loves, type of guy he takes 4th or 5th round and they become special, team captain, 5th round guy

Isaiah Johnson CB Houston - basically same as Williams and a 4th/5th round guy but probably a little more ready than Williams, would not be surprised to see either switched to safety if we don't get Thornhill or Rapp

Gerald Willis DT Miami - think they like him but have concerns and betting if available in fourth then they take him not before

Keke Kingsley DT Texas A&M - this a guy they could get late i.e. 6th/7th with a high upside/low floor guy and become the next Ratliff guy, 3 tech guy that has the skills and talent just wasn't used as much

Dawson Knox TE Ole Miss - really think he is the target at TE and believe he will be there easily late 3rd and probably could be had in the 4th late, team captain, great athletic ability, good blocker, under used, high ceiling, high upside

Trysten Hill DT UCF - another guy to really like but character concerns are going to push him down into the 5th/6th/7th area where his value is much greater, another 3 tech possiblity

Renell Wren DT Arizona St - this is one of those could be great, could be a mistake guys, all the talent in the world to be another Aaron Donald but has never really shown it. If he falls into late 4th, would not be surprised to see Dallas take him, upside potential is huge but he would be my extra pick in 4th

Mike Weber RB Ohio St - won't go until the 7th or undrafted but could be a great backup for Elliott although work ethic concerns and some believe character concerns

Bryce Love RB Stanford - ACL injury pushes him into 5th/6th/7th round area but he is a lot like Duke Johnson who Dallas loved coming out of college, team captain, great productivity, patience runner, follows blocks well, could see him as a late 4th/5th round guy for Dallas

These are guys that I think have most chance of Dallas drafting them but where the rubber meets the road is in the 2nd round because if Simmons falls or they really want Samuels then we can expect Dallas to wheel and deal and all bets are off. Really believe Simmons could solve the middle of the DL for years to come and Samuels does the same as a slot guy. Putting Simmons with Lawrence would make a great defense. Pairing Samuels with Cooper and Gallup makes what I see as the best WR corp Dallas has ever had.

That would be at a cost though of next year's #1 though for either and getting both and a S and a TE would be more lucky than good as I see it. Not to mention getting additional help at DT this year. Stranger things have happened on draft weekend so hoping that it goes Dallas' way.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina - 30 visit, fits the slot, team captain, can play multiple WR positions, probably goes 2nd round early to middle

Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi St. - has Fletcher Cox type qualities, 3 tech guy, injury will push him into 2nd round most likely but only due to the fact that teams want their 1st round to contribute right away, similar to why we were able to draft Jaylon Smith eventhough he was a top 5 talent, 30 visit guy, would require trading our 2020 1st round to get him

Juan Thornhill S Virginia - size and length Richard likes, probably most versatile of the safeties this year, great character, a late 2nd round guy or early 3rd round guy

Taylor Rapp S Washington - team captain, moldable, good size and length, good run stopper, fits the box safety but believe they want Thornhill first, Rapp probably goes in 3rd round much to many dismays

JoeJuan Williams CB Vanderbilt - size and length and moldability that Richard loves, type of guy he takes 4th or 5th round and they become special, team captain, 5th round guy

Isaiah Johnson CB Houston - basically same as Williams and a 4th/5th round guy but probably a little more ready than Williams, would not be surprised to see either switched to safety if we don't get Thornhill or Rapp

Gerald Willis DT Miami - think they like him but have concerns and betting if available in fourth then they take him not before

Keke Kingsley DT Texas A&M - this a guy they could get late i.e. 6th/7th with a high upside/low floor guy and become the next Ratliff guy, 3 tech guy that has the skills and talent just wasn't used as much

Dawson Knox TE Ole Miss - really think he is the target at TE and believe he will be there easily late 3rd and probably could be had in the 4th late, team captain, great athletic ability, good blocker, under used, high ceiling, high upside

Trysten Hill DT UCF - another guy to really like but character concerns are going to push him down into the 5th/6th/7th area where his value is much greater, another 3 tech possiblity

Renell Wren DT Arizona St - this is one of those could be great, could be a mistake guys, all the talent in the world to be another Aaron Donald but has never really shown it. If he falls into late 4th, would not be surprised to see Dallas take him, upside potential is huge but he would be my extra pick in 4th

Mike Weber RB Ohio St - won't go until the 7th or undrafted but could be a great backup for Elliott although work ethic concerns and some believe character concerns

Bryce Love RB Stanford - ACL injury pushes him into 5th/6th/7th round area but he is a lot like Duke Johnson who Dallas loved coming out of college, team captain, great productivity, patience runner, follows blocks well, could see him as a late 4th/5th round guy for Dallas

These are guys that I think have most chance of Dallas drafting them but where the rubber meets the road is in the 2nd round because if Simmons falls or they really want Samuels then we can expect Dallas to wheel and deal and all bets are off. Really believe Simmons could solve the middle of the DL for years to come and Samuels does the same as a slot guy. Putting Simmons with Lawrence would make a great defense. Pairing Samuels with Cooper and Gallup makes what I see as the best WR corp Dallas has ever had.

That would be at a cost though of next year's #1 though for either and getting both and a S and a TE would be more lucky than good as I see it. Not to mention getting additional help at DT this year. Stranger things have happened on draft weekend so hoping that it goes Dallas' way.
Another guy is Abram - safety-Miss St. 30 visit and Jerry had dinner with.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think Jeffery Simmons is the cream of the crop and I believe Thornhill would make a huge difference on this defense as well.

Dallas spent a good portion of the offseason dealing with Miami on the Quinn trade. Orginialy Miami was willing to pay a portion of the salary and Dallas worked it out where Quinns salary was lowered and Miami was able to avoid the bill. Miami is also in tank mode for a QB in 2020. I am not saying it is going to happen but I think there is an opportunity here to find a way to land Simmons. If they could do it, I think he would be a foundational player that combined with Lawrence would make a very formidable defensive line for a long time.

Thornhill has just enough SS traits to succeed in the system Dallas needs especially if they keep Iloka who could come in on obvious running downs. Thornhill would be such a major upgrade over Heath that he could take the defense to the next level. Having a ball hawking safety would be a major improvement.

Dylan Mack is a guy I am surprised isn't being linked more to us. I know they were there looking at Keke and other players at A and M so I am sure they have at least looked at him and maybe this is that Marinelli situation where he likes smaller 1 techs but Mack would help ensure we never witness another game like the Rams playoff game. Plus he gives surprising pass rush ability for a fire hydrant type of 1 tech. 5 star recruit that really seemed to put it together his senior year.

RB - I wouldn't be surprised if we take two and there are a lot of options in this draft.

CB - I have no idea what the future plans are but I would be fine with just keeping what we have.

TE - I just want to see if Jarwin and Schultz can develop.

WR - Cedric Wilson and Devin Smith both are basically rookies. If we didn't draft one I would be fine with it.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Don’t think we have a shot at Simmons unless we trade up

reddyuta

Reaction score
I will go out on the limb and say Dawson Know will go in the 2nd rd.

Reaction score

Feel like you're a round or two too late on many of these guys. They will go higher.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Good breakdown. Thank you for your efforts.

To me Simmons, Thornhill and Abrams are the guys to watch if they make a move to the early portion of round 2. None are likely to make it to 58. If any of them do, I would be shocked if they arent the pick.

My money is in Rapp. He has a good chance of being there, fits what we are looking for and is likely a day 1 starter.

Deebo is a wild card. It really depends on how highly they rate him

visionary

Reaction score
I think Jeffery Simmons is the cream of the crop and I believe Thornhill would make a huge difference on this defense as well.

Dallas spent a good portion of the offseason dealing with Miami on the Quinn trade. Orginialy Miami was willing to pay a portion of the salary and Dallas worked it out where Quinns salary was lowered and Miami was able to avoid the bill. Miami is also in tank mode for a QB in 2020. I am not saying it is going to happen but I think there is an opportunity here to find a way to land Simmons. If they could do it, I think he would be a foundational player that combined with Lawrence would make a very formidable defensive line for a long time.

Thornhill has just enough SS traits to succeed in the system Dallas needs especially if they keep Iloka who could come in on obvious running downs. Thornhill would be such a major upgrade over Heath that he could take the defense to the next level. Having a ball hawking safety would be a major improvement.

Dylan Mack is a guy I am surprised isn't being linked more to us. I know they were there looking at Keke and other players at A and M so I am sure they have at least looked at him and maybe this is that Marinelli situation where he likes smaller 1 techs but Mack would help ensure we never witness another game like the Rams playoff game. Plus he gives surprising pass rush ability for a fire hydrant type of 1 tech. 5 star recruit that really seemed to put it together his senior year.

RB - I wouldn't be surprised if we take two and there are a lot of options in this draft.

CB - I have no idea what the future plans are but I would be fine with just keeping what we have.

TE - I just want to see if Jarwin and Schultz can develop.

WR - Cedric Wilson and Devin Smith both are basically rookies. If we didn't draft one I would be fine with it.

Good points
I think they'll be looking CB as well because I think Jones will be allowed to walk or be traded

Beaker42

Reaction score

I’ve got news for ya - Isaiah Johnson doesn’t make it to our pick #90.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He is generally considered a 3rd to 4th round pick.

Rankings:
  • NFL.com #120
  • CBS #110
He is one of those weird toolsy types that could go way higher than expected depending on the team.

This guy is totally Seattle. A lot of teams draft to prototypes.

I know people think Kris Richard is all that, but I really hope we don't go all in on the guys he likes knowing damn good and well he may not be around in a year or two.

One of the big mistakes a lot of teams do is take players based on assistant coach preference.

It is one thing to take that into consideration, you have to. But to make it a driving force?

There should be an organizational force and philosophy behind it.

You never know when you may lose an assistant and then you have a bunch of his guys that can't jell with the replacement.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He is one of those weird toolsy types that could go way higher than expected depending on the team.

This guy is totally Seattle. A lot of teams draft to prototypes.

I know people think Kris Richard is all that, but I really hope we don't go all in on the guys he likes knowing damn good and well he may not be around in a year or two.

One of the big mistakes a lot of teams do is take players based on assistant coach preference.

It is one thing to take that into consideration, you have to. But to make it a driving force?

There should be an organizational force and philosophy behind it.

You never know when you may lose an assistant and then you have a bunch of his guys that can't jell with the replacement.
He’s supposedly climbing the boards.

Carson

Reaction score
My guts telling me Deebo will be our pick.

So you can no officially eliminate him from all of your draft boards

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina
Early on, I thought he was THE GUY, but the re-signing of Tavon Austin and the addition if Randall Cobb has made me think we will look elsewhere.

Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi St
If he gets close to the 40s, I absolutely think we jump up and get him. Jaylon Smith's success will only strengthen Jerry's urge to do it.

Isaiah Johnson CB Houston
His athletic numbers (Will McClay) and size (Kris Richard) scream, us. Richard's private workout with Johnson is another indicator. Throw in pending free agents Byron Jones and Anthony Brown and a CB pick makes sense.

Gerald Willis DT Miami - Keke Kingsley DT Texas A&M - Trysten Hill DT UCF
Puke, puke, and puke. No thank you.

Dawson Knox TE Ole Miss
Seems to be rising lately. Travis Kelce comparisons will do that for you.

Hardline

Reaction score
Simmons is still a first rounder.
Injuries don't scare teams as much as they used to
Teams want to copy the way we got Jaylon Smith and gamble on the risk reward approach.

Carson

Reaction score
Simmons is still a first rounder.
Injuries don't scare teams as much as they used to
Teams want to copy the way we got Jaylon Smith and gamble on the risk reward approach.

Exactly. Certain teams, also have the luxury of letting a guy sit out ... New England, Los Angeles etc