Dallas Ranked 2 In Fa Market.

americasteam#1

Reaction score
NFL.COM Vic Carucci has ranked the top 5 teams in the FA market, and they as followed.
1,cleveland
2,dallas
3,minn.
4,carolina
5,tenn.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dunno. These rankings don't really mean a whole hell of a lot at this point of the off-season.

hooskins

Reaction score
Yeah apparently the Skins did a terrible job in the FA department?...yeah ok....If you just look at the players we got, then we should def be up there. I am not going to argue whether they were overpaid or not, I just saying, our FA's were significant improvements to the team, and significant enough to be on that list.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Awww a foreskin fan feels left out. Just count your blessings, Tags saved y'all a**es again.

americasteam#1

Reaction score
any football fan that's not bias can see the major improvements the cowboys have made to this point, i talked with a eagle fan in there forum and they graded the cowboys A- in the free agent market.

Gibbs II

Reaction score
Ehh im not too sure about that. I dont think WR was that big of a need in the first place so if someone can list all the FA's that would be appreciated.

hooskins

Reaction score
americasteam#1 said:
any football fan that's not bias can see the major improvements the cowboys have made to this point, i talked with a eagle fan in there forum and they graded the cowboys A- in the free agent market.

I am not saying the Boys didnt make great improvements, I think they did good. I would def put them in the top 5 as well.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
First thing, teams are built in april not march

Second thing, in the history of this league no free agent wr that was signed or traded for has made that much of a difference that they won a championship, the eagles were almost the exception...

For years it has been a staple of good teams that you dont over pay for wr and you dont trade for them at any cost.

The cowboys and Commanders because of poor drafting, poor developing and lack of patience have to continually sign or trade for wr.

Owens will not put us over the top and randle el and loyd will not put the Commanders over the top. All three players will have good seasons and help their teams, but the pieces that complete the puzzle will be or should be found in april.

Jerry jones impatience and poor scouting and drafting has put us in this mess and dont get me started on daniel snyder, this guy has absolutely no resepect for the draft process. Vinny cerato is a draft day butcher in my opinion, skins fans can roast me for that but washington is a very lousy organization when it comes to drafting.....One qb after another failing, along with wr.......Jerry jones is right there with him, except for the fact that parcells has turned the scouting department upside down and we are getting contributions from our second day picks and our first day picks aside from peterman and rogers are now the core of our team....

anyway, april is when teams are built and I could care less who wins the free agency bonanza, I know we signed alot of players but at least we only spent big on one of them...and the rest are in their prime, excluding fabini who may end up only being a backup if we draft properly again this year..

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
hooskins said:
Yeah apparently the Skins did a terrible job in the FA department?...yeah ok....If you just look at the players we got, then we should def be up there. I am not going to argue whether they were overpaid or not, I just saying, our FA's were significant improvements to the team, and significant enough to be on that list.

Oh brother. Nowhere does not including the 'Skins on the list imply that they did a "terrible" job in FA. Just that he thinks that at least five teams did a better job. That is all. It's not like he came out and denigrated the 'Skins, well at least what I can tell from the original post in this thread.

Rumor

Reaction score
hooskins said:

Some of those players are very over-rated...

Rumor

Reaction score
theebs said:
First thing, teams are built in april not march

Second thing, in the history of this league no free agent wr that was signed or traded for has made that much of a difference that they won a championship, the eagles were almost the exception...

For years it has been a staple of good teams that you dont over pay for wr and you dont trade for them at any cost.

The cowboys and Commanders because of poor drafting, poor developing and lack of patience have to continually sign or trade for wr.

Owens will not put us over the top and randle el and loyd will not put the Commanders over the top. All three players will have good seasons and help their teams, but the pieces that complete the puzzle will be or should be found in april.

Jerry jones impatience and poor scouting and drafting has put us in this mess and dont get me started on daniel snyder, this guy has absolutely no resepect for the draft process. Vinny cerato is a draft day butcher in my opinion, skins fans can roast me for that but washington is a very lousy organization when it comes to drafting.....One qb after another failing, along with wr.......Jerry jones is right there with him, except for the fact that parcells has turned the scouting department upside down and we are getting contributions from our second day picks and our first day picks aside from peterman and rogers are now the core of our team....

anyway, april is when teams are built and I could care less who wins the free agency bonanza, I know we signed alot of players but at least we only spent big on one of them...and the rest are in their prime, excluding fabini who may end up only being a backup if we draft properly again this year..

I agree with the draft part of your post, but sometimes there is one thing a team may need to get them over the hump and mind you I am not saying TO is our ticket (for I dont believe we are going to the SB this year, although I hope so)but some teams may just need that one great WR and there in...history may not provide this, but some teams only need one more piece to the puzzle and that could be a good QB just as well as a great WR....just depends on the situation...But I do understand what you mean about everything...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
hooskins said:
Yeah apparently the Skins did a terrible job in the FA department?...yeah ok....If you just look at the players we got, then we should def be up there.

Why?? The only clear upgrade y'all have made is at WR, and even there, you got 2 guys who have never caught 50 passes in a season... while an upgrade over what you had there, these are not the moves that are gonna put a team in the top 5 ratings for free agency...

Adam Archuleta is merely a replacement for Ryan Clark, not a significant upgrade... Archuleta is better against the run, Clark was better against the pass...

Tyson Walter and Mike Pucillo merely replace Ray Brown and Corey Raymer... hardly an upgrade, indeed, perhaps a slight downgrade... neither one is a good player, frankly...

Andre Carter has done little in the NFL since that 12.5 sack season... he might fare better by moving back to DE from OLB with the Skins, but he might not (some of those "down" years were recorded while playing at DE)...

Todd Collins was brought in to help Al Saunders install his system, unless the Skins are already disenchanted with Jason Campbell, to the point that they don't want him to be the backup next year... so, either the Collins signing means that Campbell isn't meeting their expectations, or Todd was brought in to be the 3rd stringer... clearly, if this is the case, then his signing is a LONG way from a significant move... and you'd better hope they don't want him to be the backup, or if he is, that Brunell stays healthy all 16 games-- the guy's thrown 27 passes in his last 8 NFL seasons combined...

our FA's were significant improvements to the team,

No, they weren't... the only significant improvement was to the WR corps... if Carter regains his sophomore form, he'll be an improvement too, but if he only gives you 5-6 sacks next year (he's averaged a little under 5.5 sacks per 16 games played since that one big year), then he'll be a small improvement, nothing more... the others don't really make the Skins better at all...

and significant enough to be on that list.

Even their BEST signings didn't involve a player in the top 3 free agents at his position... you know, like the Cowboys with Owens, with Vanderjagt... for that matter, Fabini was probably one of the top 5 available at OT...

I'm not saying the Skins had a BAD offseason, mind you, particularly not if we're playing by your rules and ignoring the overpaying aspect of it, but no way do they belong listed among the teams that have had the most productive offseasons...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
hooskins said:
I am not saying the Boys didnt make great improvements, I think they did good. I would def put them in the top 5 as well.

I for one understood that you were stickin' up for the Skins (even though I disagreed with your argument)... I didn't think for a second that you were dissin' the Boys' free agent moves...

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Apparently Hutchinson AND Longwell make up for the vikes losing

QB Daunte Culpepper
RB Michael bennett
Wr Nate Burleson
Fs Corey Chavous
Cb Brian Williams

I wasnt aware clearing up 2 holes not only covered the 3 extras u created plus made you above others

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
And how is st.louis NOT on here?

They Added Pro bowler Laroi glover, Probowl Corey Chavous, future pro bowl Will Witherspoon, and only lost one notable guy( archuletta)

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Now, instead of reaching to fill the next needs on the team such as FS and OLBer or even a QB for the future, we can take those players at those slots where they should be taken, allowing us to trade down if necessary to get them at the correct value.

Or even trade up for a singularly high player that falls to us if they do. Such as one of these QB's we hear mentioned now as being a Dallas possible need.

I'm not so concerned with being ranked in any top 5 of any off-season rankings. I am concerned with being in the top 5 for the draft, though.

As we look at the draft and see all this hoopla speculation with Dallas maybe looking for a QB...does anybody think that Dallas might consider trading a #1 pick in next year's draft to pursue a trade for a top QB this year..?

I'm not sure that that isn't a viable option for Dallas if some player they covet starts to fall to them who is a top 10 player type. If this team acually meets potential in '06, then the Cowboys #1 pick in '07 is going to be somewhere around 28th+ pick next year..

..which isn't all that great and isn't going to bring an impact player of need to add to the run for a SB to this team over the next couple of years.

An impact player to be used now and next year or a big position of need like grooming a quality QB for post-Bledsoe would be at the top of my wishlist.

To get a shot at a top QB or impact player next year means having to trade up and give more to trade up to get a shot at one or losing so badly that we'd have to go 3-13 or something to get one.

Or dipping back into dealing for damaged-goods QB's somewhere in FA next year.

At 18th spot in the draft, we are positioned to either move up or back and still improve. Or stay put and hope our draft gurus hit a homerun with the 1st and 2nd Rd picks to still fill a couple of key needs.

But my question stands, would Dallas consider trading our #1 in '07 to package a deal to move up this year to get a top player if they see one they wanted..?

I've got a feeling they would.

Parcellswaterboy

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
hooskins said:

I'll agree with that. The problem with this ranking is that it does not tell us what they are ranked on. If the ranking is for measuring the upgrade of talent, ignoring all other factors, then I would put the skins in the top 5 or 10. If the ranking is for value (i.e. talent upgrade given amount spent) then I would put the skins towards the bottom of the list. Of course, I would put Dallas high on both of those lists. :cool: