RELEASED Dallas releases Punter Chris Jones

Praxit

Reaction score
...I liked Jones too. But his punts was worst than avg. I did like his fake punts better. ..:)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Too bad it took Jones getting injured for us to bring him in, but I'm glad we finally made the move. We should have at least had some real competition for Jones going into the season. Now, I hope we learned our lesson and get some real competition for Zuerlein.

Zuerlein had a better average per punt than Jones every did in any year. In a half of a season he didn't have a single punt go off the side of his foot and go short out of bounds. Just who do you think the Cowboys could or should bring in to make him punter better than being the best punter they've had in a decade? I get having some competition for those who haven't done very well, but Zuerlein did a good job last season and there are other positions that need a lot of competition to use up a body in camp for a position that right now really doesn't need any competition.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Zuerlein had a better average per punt than Jones every did in any year. In a half of a season he didn't have a single punt go off the side of his foot and go short out of bounds. Just who do you think the Cowboys could or should bring in to make him punter better than being the best punter they've had in a decade? I get having some competition for those who haven't done very well, but Zuerlein did a good job last season and there are other positions that need a lot of competition to use up a body in camp for a position that right now really doesn't need any competition.

Zuerlein is the placekicker. He made 82.9 percent of his kicks last year. The reason he'll probably keep his job, though, is that most of his misses were from 50-plus (where he was 3 of 9). He only missed 1 of 32 from 49 in. I'd like to at least give him some competition.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Zuerlein is the placekicker. He made 82.9 percent of his kicks last year. The reason he'll probably keep his job, though, is that most of his misses were from 50-plus (where he was 3 of 9). He only missed 1 of 32 from 49 in. I'd like to at least give him some competition.

You're right, it was my bad. When you started to talk about Jones my mind just went to punter and the light bulb didn't go on that Zuerlein was their kicker. Again, my bad. If he only missed 1 from 49 yards in that's pretty darn good. The odds on 50 yards and over are way down on almost every kicker. I haven't heard anyone else bring up a big dislike for Zuerlein.

Carson

Reaction score
I feel like he’s lived off the big hit and the playoffs and the fake punt. He been pedestrian punting

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You act as if he was never a good punter, and that's just not the case. 2019 was the year he dropped off, but before that he had been a good punter for several years

Exactly, and it was due to injuries. That can happen with punters and kickers.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They already have one on contract through 2022. Hunter Niswander who last season for the Cowboys averaged 47.2 yards per punt.

I'd imagine they'll probably bring in competition though. Not necessarily in the draft. I suspect they'll probably bring in a UDFA. I say this because it's good to have multiple options in camp. Take 2011 for example. We needed a new kicker, so we brought in Kai Forbath and Dan Bailey during camp. Dan Bailey, of course, ended up making the team and was quite good for a while. I think they'll likely do the same here at punter.

KB1122

Reaction score
An mystifyingly enduring emblem of Cowboys willingness to accept mediocrity. See ya.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
there was a time when chris jones was one of the better NFL punters. time caught up with him as it does for all NFL players. go and be well.