Signed by Cowboys Dallas sign DL Carlos Watkins

morasp

Reaction score
I watched Watkins alot when he played at Clemson. Very inconsistent took games off.

With that said, when he didnt take games off he was very noticeable on the field. Great motor and size. Was noticeable in the run and pass plays. Made impacts.

Bats alot of balls down due to height and long arms. Has a knack of doing so. Not a bad signing in my eyes. He's an upgrade on Tyrone Crawford and Antwain Woods. Good rotational piece.
I watched his Texans highlights on youtube and noticed several batted passes. He looks pretty agile for a big guy as well, he got to the QB really fast on his sack against the Steelers.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I watched his Texans highlights on youtube and noticed several batted passes. He looks pretty agile for a big guy as well, he got to the QB really fast on his sack against the Steelers.
He's listed to have 34 5/8" arms & 81" wing span.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Question - At # 297 he has to be a 3-tech right ?
So with Gallimore, Hill and Now Watkins we have 3 questionable 3-techs with the new guy being the smallest of them. And still only 1 semi-decent 1-tech ? The only thing I can think of is that they want the two relatively young guys - Hill and Gallimore to learn from the Vet stop-gap player ?
Hmmmmm.... color me unimpressed.

We could play Watkins some outside at left end in the role Red Bryant played for Seattle. That would give us a little more strength on early downs with him and Lawrence at the end spots.

Not saying that's my choice. I hope we load up on DTs in the draft and try to improve the position group. I think Watson, Hill, Gallimore and Woods all would be quality backups (well, maybe not Hill, but we'll see), but to improve our interior, we need better players. (I will say Gallimore could develop into a better player. I just wouldn't be willing to bet on him becoming the type we need at 3-tech.)

Beaker42

Reaction score
Didn’t we give up a very valuable 6th round pick for one of their linemen last year that really did less than zero for us? I’m asking for a friend.
Very valuable 6th round pick? That’s an oxymoron. Most teams have better luck with UDFA’s than 6th and 7th rounders. Hell, maybe even 5th. Once you get past the 4th it’s a crapshoot anyways.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Question - At # 297 he has to be a 3-tech right ?
So with Gallimore, Hill and Now Watkins we have 3 questionable 3-techs with the new guy being the smallest of them. And still only 1 semi-decent 1-tech ? The only thing I can think of is that they want the two relatively young guys - Hill and Gallimore to learn from the Vet stop-gap player ?
Hmmmmm.... color me unimpressed.
So Gallimore didn’t show you enough to tell whether he belongs or is better than “questionable”?? Hill was actually showing some promise before he got hurt.

JHC on a pogo stick, some people just won’t give young players the benefit of the doubt.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
So Gallimore didn’t show you enough to tell whether he belongs or is better than “questionable”?? Hill was actually showing some promise before he got hurt.

JHC on a pogo stick, some people just won’t give young players the benefit of the doubt.
Gallimore showed me plenty, think he will be a good player for us. I actually liked M. Collins when he was here, and expect Gallimore to be better. He's just coming off his rookie season so hope for more improvement. Plus he's big. Hill I have hopes for as well, Im not dead against him as some are. He just needs some coach to "reach" him.
Was actually why I was asking what role for Watkins - being our 2 young 3-techs have the potential to be better ..... Apart from being a Vet, he's not as talented as what we have. Depth at that spot, when the cupboard is bare elsewhere.

Verdict

Reaction score
Very valuable 6th round pick? That’s an oxymoron. Most teams have better luck with UDFA’s than 6th and 7th rounders. Hell, maybe even 5th. Once you get past the 4th it’s a crapshoot anyways.

We gave up an item of value (6th round pick) for some magic beanstalk beans that didn’t even sprout. So now we want to discount the value of the pick given up?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I guess he can compete with Trysten Hill for the last tackle spot?

Competing with Woods for the last DT spot. Though this guy looks just like this - bottom of the roster insurance in case of injuries. Warm body we could sign cheap. So why not?

W/o injuries at DT, bet he doesn't make the final 53.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Those who said we'd fall short of anything special in vet FA can take solace in being right -- just more of the same, as always! :bow:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Kind of a tweener is Carlos Watkins -- 6-3 and 297. Too light for a DT and too heavy for a DE. He's a typical utility guy, no doubt. :grin:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

I had him confused with Urban, who's 297, soaking wet.
I'm just an old fart, so there's my built-in excuse! :muttley:

Anyway, I'm relieved we located one who's a bit heftier!

I went back to the article and Rob Phillips said he's 297.

H-m-m, perhaps I'm not quite as senile as I seem huh?

Last edited:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
220px-Bored.gif