dallas trivia question #2

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Aikbach;1315903 said:
I'm sorry but none of my further research has yielded a now defunct football team that could be credited to Dallas, all I can confirm is that as I stated earlier the Texans were originally the Boston Yanks at one time and naturally changed their names shortly after relocating to Texas.

Too bad those Milwaukee Badgers didn't survive, that would've divided the packer faithful in an all Wisconsin showdown, meat packers versus beer brewers in a battle for cheese supremacy.

I think you might have outsmarted yourself with this question however, unless you are refering to a non NFL/AFL team.

No I didnt outsmart myself.

The answer is they are famous for being the last nfl team to go belly up.

January 19, 1952 ted collins sold the new york yanks franchise back to the league, the nfl. January 24, 1952 a group of investors in Dallas bought the team from the nfl, bought their assets. Named them the texans and the team went 1-11. Halfway through the season the owners gave in and gave the franchise back to the nfl and the nfl put the team in Hershey, PA. The league ran the team for the last 5 games of the season.

at the end of that season the franchise was canceled and done away with. The last nfl franchise to go belly up.

In 1953 a group of investors headed by carol rosenbloom were a granted a franchise. They were awarded the holdings of the defunct Dallas team. They named the team the colts! They then proceeded to orchestrate the largest trade at the time, 10 players for five from cleveland.

two years later, the baltimore colts made an 80 cent phone call to Free agent Johnny Unitas! He signed with them!

Aikbach

Reaction score
theebs;1315919 said:
No I didnt outsmart myself.

The answer is they are famous for being the last nfl team to go belly up.

January 19, 1952 ted collins sold the new york yanks franchise back to the league, the nfl. January 24, 1952 a group of investors in Dallas bought the team from the nfl, bought their assets. Named them the texans and the team went 1-11. Halfway through the season the owners gave in and gave the franchise back to the nfl and the nfl put the team in Hershey, PA. The league ran the team for the last 5 games of the season.

at the end of that season the franchise was canceled and done away with. The last nfl franchise to go belly up.
So I was correct, the New York/ Boston Yanks that preceded the Texans of Lamar Hunt with the same nickname.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Aikbach;1315923 said:
So I was correct, the New York/ Boston Yanks that preceded the Texans of Lamar Hunt with the same nickname.

yeah my question was really what were they famous for though.

Aikbach

Reaction score
theebs;1315930 said:
yeah my question was really what were they famous for though.
You asked for their origin in the original question as well.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Aikbach;1315932 said:
You asked for their origin in the original question as well.

yep. and you were right, although they were the new york yanks.

Not really a big deal. Just something to pass time.

Aikbach

Reaction score
theebs;1315939 said:
yep. and you were right, although they were the new york yanks.

Not really a big deal. Just something to pass time.
They were both.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
here is another fun one.

What college did Bill Parcells attend first? It is an outstanding school.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Aikbach;1315942 said:
They were both.

I thought boston didnt have a franchise till 59? they were the 8th franchise awarded to lamar hunts new AFL buffalo owned by ralph wilson was the 7th.

You are correct. Ted Collins bought the team in 43 to start play in 44, but he wanted them to play in yankee stadium..

how funny is that a boston team in yankee stadium...the sox should try that!!!

that is why they were named the boston yanks..collins wanted them to play at yankee stadium!!!! in 46 brooklyn the split part of that team left for another league they became the boston yanks officially.

in 1949 the boston yanks became the new york bulldogs and played at the polo grounds. then in 1950 the bulldogs became the yanks again and split their team with the yankees of the other league and the giants....

then they were sold in 52 to the dallas investors and folded!! eventually becoming the colts!

Aikbach

Reaction score
theebs;1315943 said:
here is another fun one.

What college did Bill Parcells attend first? It is an outstanding school.
As a coach or player? His college days were at Wichita State and his first coaching stint was at Hastings.

He was Texas Tech defensive coordinator in the mid-70s which fascinates me.

Here's one, what team was he drafted by but never played for?

Aikbach

Reaction score
theebs;1315955 said:
Yeah I just recapped their history in the other thread...

do you know parcells first college?
As a player or coach?

Wichita St. as a player and Hastings as a coach i believe.

I typed more on this earlier.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Aikbach;1315960 said:
As a player or coach?

Wichita St. as a player and Hastings as a coach i believe.

I typed more on this earlier.

nope. His first college was the greatness of Colgate.

He compromised with his dad, the fbi agent to go to a school with outstanding academics and a football team.

he left after one year. He didnt like the second rate football team and then went to wichita state

No one ever knows the answer to that...I love asking to because I am from about 15 minutes from colgate!