Dallas: What to do & where to eat

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
There used to be a barbecue place in Pleasant Grove called Sam's, right next to the train tracks. Pretty sure it is gone now.

Sam's Barbecue formed me into the person I am today.

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
slotshot;1608871 said:
I also like Carrabas (which I think is a relatively small, southern, chain as well). Very tasty Italian about the same price point as Pappasitos.

Carrabas is a big chain owned by Outback (or the company that owns Outback).

A good Italian place unique to Dallas area is Spaghetti Warehouse in the West End of downtown Dallas. Definitely a unique atmosphere anyway.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Colo;1609607 said:
Carrabas is a big chain owned by Outback (or the company that owns Outback).

A good Italian place unique to Dallas area is Spaghetti Warehouse in the West End of downtown Dallas. Definitely a unique atmosphere anyway.

Campisi's

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1609483 said:
There used to be a barbecue place in Pleasant Grove called Sam's, right next to the train tracks. Pretty sure it is gone now.

Sam's Barbecue formed me into the person I am today.
Sam's has been gone low these many years. :(
I grew up in the Grove.

Rocky

Reaction score
Del Frisco's Steak House VS Bob's Steak and Chop House:

Discuss (let the blood bath begin)

I think Bob's is a very fine steak house and and would recommend it anyone, but I just have had slightly better steaks and sides at Del Frisco's and would also rate the service as superior.

Someone here mentioned that Del Frisco's is a little pricey and this is true, but when ppl travel and ax for prior recommendations they typically are eager to drop a wad of cash on a 1st class meal. And besides, Bob's isn't exactly cheap.

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
Rocky;1609737 said:
I've been around a while and eaten in most every rest in DFW and I've haven't been there. I understand it's a unique experience but never heard anyone actually comment on the food. Is it pretty tasty?

The best thing about that place is you get to call your waitress a wench.

Wench! More beer!

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
meh del frisco's is a chain and not any better than anyone of the better steakhouses in dallas, ruth's chris is just a touch better if you ask me, and thats a chain that I think is nationwide. bob's is a good choice for a hunk of beef imho

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. So much food, so little time. I can't wait.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;1609710 said:
Sam's has been gone low these many years. :(
I grew up in the Grove.

My family did, I made it out by age four (20 years ago). I was probably 10-12 last time I ate sams, but I can still imagine the smell and look. That was a great man.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1610254 said:
My family did, I made it out by age four (20 years ago). I was probably 10-12 last time I ate sams, but I can still imagine the smell and look. That was a great man.
Yes he was. I remember my Dad and I going on Saturday and me getting a home made fried pie still hot wrapped in wax paper. Oh for a time machine. :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
stealth;1609754 said:
meh del frisco's is a chain and not any better than anyone of the better steakhouses in dallas, ruth's chris is just a touch better if you ask me, and thats a chain that I think is nationwide. bob's is a good choice for a hunk of beef imho

There is a Ruth's Chris in Dallas? I've only been to the one in New York City. My only real beef (pun) with Bob's Steak and Chop house is everytime I've been their it's been unbelievable loud and the bar area becomes a meat market. (or at least it was like that before I moved to NY)

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
nyc;1610478 said:
There is a Ruth's Chris in Dallas? I've only been to the one in New York City. My only real beef (pun) with Bob's Steak and Chop house is everytime I've been their it's been unbelievable loud and the bar area becomes a meat market. (or at least it was like that before I moved to NY)

Best Steakhouse in NYC, IMHO, is Gallaghers Steakhouse. About $40.00 for a Fred Flintstone Brontosaurus Burger-sized filet mignon. I'm not exaggerating - this hunk of meat was about 4" high. Highly recommended for anyone who visits New York: http://www.gallaghersnysteakhouse.com/

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1609709 said:
Campisi's

Love Campisi's shrimp scampi dish. It's probably one of the best scampi dishes I've ever had, but their other menu items are average at best, IMHO.