Dallas: What to do & where to eat

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
There are many amongst us that consider Chili's fine dining.

It's the dumbing down of the times, my friend. Don't bother fighting it, will just make you crazy.

It's the same people that bring their screaming children to nice restaurants, or attach them to leashes. The same people that feel a t-shirt and/or sweats is dress code for everywhere. The same people that ***** about their service being slow when their drink service is prompt, or go 80mph to pass you just to go 45mph when it cuts down to one lane. The same people that think Franzia is a fine Merlot and High-Life is the pinnacle of beer.

I like Razzoos as much as the next man, but I would never suggest it as a fine dining establishment anymore than I would Dennys. Hell, I'd be more apt to suggest Burger House (on Hillcrest) than Razzoos, atleast they do what they do amazingly well and it's a local joint.

Cas2800

Reaction score
Champps (Off 114) Is a very good resturant to eat at after the game. I have run into several players there after the game. The Cheesecake Factory (Las Colinas) is also a very good place to eat.

If your from out of town and ave any kids or are just young at heart i would recommend The Speedzone. They jave fun go slick carts, Fast Carts and drag cars you can ride.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
lspain1;1607949 said:
I recommend Bob's Steak and Chop House for the best steak in Dallas.

http://www.bobs-steakandchop.com/index1.html

Saltgrass is a chain but also has a decent steak and nice family atmosphere.

http://www.saltgrass.com/

If you are visiting Texas for the first time I recommend trying the Chicken Fried Steak....a health disaster but truly delicious.

definitely Bobs Steak And Chop house. That's where Jerry took Chutch to dinner after signing him.

Fox Sports Grill in Plano is pretty good for watching games.

slotshot

Reaction score
Pappasitos is a small Texas TexMex chain that has wonderful food and is a little upscale.

I also like Carrabas (which I think is a relatively small, southern, chain as well). Very tasty Italian about the same price point as Pappasitos.

If you like MEAT and want to drop $50 or so, visit Texas de Brazil (Brazilian Churrascarria (sp?)). It is ridiculously awesome. There are other such restaurants around, but this is my favorite.

I agree with the Saltgrass comment above...best bang for your steak-buck. Silver Fox, Del Friscos and Bobs are pretty spendy.

Dion2288

Reaction score
Just come to my house. I have my own catering business. Plus I make maybe the best BBQ in the DFW area...and that's no lie.

Restaurants: Pappadeaux, Babe's Chicken House in Carrollton or Roanoke

Most of the other places are chains.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;1607767 said:
There is a Cajun restraunt called Razoos that I highly recommend its in Lewisville and the food is amazing.

There is one in Bedford also, right off of 183. Excellent food.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coy;1607900 said:
What about a good sports bar to watch all the games on Sunday?

What area are you staying at. I can recommend places around the mid cities area, which is hurst - Euleess - Bedford, and some in Arlington. A few in FW. I Don't have any main one I go to in Dallas, so really can't comment on those.

Good restaurants are easy to find here. DFW area is the 2nd in the nation for people eating out. If a line is too long, drive down the road.

If you like ribs, bbq, a new place opened in Grapevine. Called Bone Daddies. Plus good looking waitresses in little outfits.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ashwynn;1608447 said:
The Big Apple is a great sports bar off 360. Check out the home of the boys going up as we speak just south down the hwy and to the left past 30.

As for steak houses Del Frisco's is great, I prefer Porterhouses off restaurant row (composit and NW HWY). Paul (the owner) will meet you at the door. Then Dave and Busters is just around the corner if you wanna play video games (read bringing a chick along, they like it there).

Big Apple is ok, but there are better places.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
TEK2000;1608436 said:
You should try Pappadeaux's Seafood... Razoos doesn't have anything on them. Just my opinion.

Best steak is without a doubt Bob's Steak and Chop House. I saw Troy Aikman at the one near downtown the first time I went there.

pappadeaux's is pricey and rather bland when it comes to true cajun spices. razoos is all over the place in bedford, irving/las colinas, lewisvile, off 75 in north dallas... it's good, but i'd not recommend it for "texas" eating.

Ashwynn;1608447 said:
The Big Apple is a great sports bar off 360. Check out the home of the boys going up as we speak just south down the hwy and to the left past 30.

As for steak houses Del Frisco's is great, I prefer Porterhouses off restaurant row (composit and NW HWY). Paul (the owner) will meet you at the door. Then Dave and Busters is just around the corner if you wanna play video games (read bringing a chick along, they like it there).

big apple is kinda a small bar but very fun. when the stars won their cup they had a party out there. champs as mentioned, is also good but kinda a yuppie meat market at times.

LayingTheWood31;1608456 said:
when i went to dallas for the first time, champs sports bar was the place to watch games i spent all saturday their. check it out!!!!!!

jazzcat22;1609179 said:
There is one in Bedford also, right off of 183. Excellent food.

now - for my own suggestions.

they mention a lot of steak houses you won't get out of for under $60 or more a pop. easy. if i'm to spend that kind of money - fogo de chau. it's on belt line in addison and it's a brazilian "house of beef". they bring you like 40 different types of meats and cut it off right onto your plate. you eat till you're full. take a break, and get back after it again. even the salad bar is fantastic. service is impecible.

for just a good "texas" steak, traildust is usually pretty good and not overly $.

if you want mexican/steak - la hacienda. hands down. if i want a steak dinner this is where i go. it's north on 35 and around frankford. get off on frankford and it's on your right. if you go in prime time prepare to wait an hour to get in.

hole in the wall - rainbows in carrolton. north on 35 past 635 and get off on beltline and take a right (east) at your next light take another right and you're going into "old" carrolton. rainbows is on the left of the square and parking is all over. best burgers and home made chips around.

if you're around on a saturday before the game - firewater. it's off 35 and nw highway behind chilies and olive garden. live local bands, good service and ok bar food but good for the local band scene. great outdoor stage if weather permits.

if you're down in deep ellum on a fri or sat night - curtain club is a local legend for local bands. if you like death metal type music, hit tomcats around the corner from them. deep ellum also has some good eating places. trouble is it's $ to park down there and late at night it can get dangerous.

if you're out seeing the new stadium, frijoles is a GREAT mexican food spot to hit. it's just north of 35 on the access road. further north you'll find big apple as you get close to 183 on 360.

there. my input. : )

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
late night deep ellum is something I would avoid, its a good time, but I have seen some scary things go down there.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stealth;1609237 said:
late night deep ellum is something I would avoid, its a good time, but I have seen some scary things go down there.

i'm there a lot and have never been bothered. but at 6'4" 330+ viking looking, who would?

yes bad things can happen in deep ellum. but i go there just the same and with my nephews as well if there's something there we want to do. just be smart and know where you are.

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
Don't know if these have already been mentioned, but I grew up in Dallas and the best places are -

Snuffers for great burgers and cheese fries (the best cheese fries ever). It's on lower greenville in Dallas.

Herrera's for the best mexican food. There are a couple, but the one we always went to was off Maple and Wycliff in Dallas.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
lspain1;1607949 said:
I recommend Bob's Steak and Chop House for the best steak in Dallas.

http://www.bobs-steakandchop.com/index1.html

Saltgrass is a chain but also has a decent steak and nice family atmosphere.

http://www.saltgrass.com/

If you are visiting Texas for the first time I recommend trying the Chicken Fried Steak....a health disaster but truly delicious.

Saltgrass has to be by far the worst "true steakhouse" I've ever eaten at. It's a disgrace that anyone would put Saltgrass on any list declared as good. Now, Bob's is very good.

chargrove

Reaction score
Hands down the best three upper end steak places in the entire Metroplex: Del Friscos, Bob's Steak and Chop House, and Three Forks.

Best Mexican has to be Joe T. Garica's. They have real stones, too...no credit cards and no menu. They serve two things: Cheese Enchiladas or Fajitas. And potent margaritas.

After that, stick to Addison area for the rest of the best. YMMV.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
iceberg;1609210 said:
pappadeaux's is pricey and rather bland when it comes to true cajun spices. razoos is all over the place in bedford, irving/las colinas, lewisvile, off 75 in north dallas... it's good, but i'd not recommend it for "texas" eating.
Pasta Mardi Gras from Pappadeaux's is the bomb! :laugh2:

iceberg;1609210 said:
big apple is kinda a small bar but very fun. when the stars won their cup they had a party out there. champs as mentioned, is also good but kinda a yuppie meat market at times.

Yeah, Craig Ludwig used to hang out there long after he was no longer playing for the Stars. (and other Stars stopped coming by) Everyone that hung out their got their drink out of the Stanley Cup! My brother used to hang out there all the time, though I'm not the type to hang out at a bar, though I used to love their hotwings! F Chip and his Washington Commanders!

For Italian food, I recommend Alfredo Tortellini's at 5404 Lemmon Ave. in Dallas.

IMO, while *some* chain restaurants can be good, I try NOT to recommend them.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
iceberg;1609210 said:

now - for my own suggestions.

they mention a lot of steak houses you won't get out of for under $60 or more a pop. easy. if i'm to spend that kind of money - fogo de chau. it's on belt line in addison and it's a brazilian "house of beef". they bring you like 40 different types of meats and cut it off right onto your plate. you eat till you're full. take a break, and get back after it again. even the salad bar is fantastic. service is impecible.

for just a good "texas" steak, traildust is usually pretty good and not overly $.

if you want mexican/steak - la hacienda. hands down. if i want a steak dinner this is where i go. it's north on 35 and around frankford. get off on frankford and it's on your right. if you go in prime time prepare to wait an hour to get in.

hole in the wall - rainbows in carrolton. north on 35 past 635 and get off on beltline and take a right (east) at your next light take another right and you're going into "old" carrolton. rainbows is on the left of the square and parking is all over. best burgers and home made chips around.

if you're around on a saturday before the game - firewater. it's off 35 and nw highway behind chilies and olive garden. live local bands, good service and ok bar food but good for the local band scene. great outdoor stage if weather permits.

if you're down in deep ellum on a fri or sat night - curtain club is a local legend for local bands. if you like death metal type music, hit tomcats around the corner from them. deep ellum also has some good eating places. trouble is it's $ to park down there and late at night it can get dangerous.

if you're out seeing the new stadium, frijoles is a GREAT mexican food spot to hit. it's just north of 35 on the access road. further north you'll find big apple as you get close to 183 on 360.

there. my input. : )

You mean 30.

I haven't been to frijoles before, even though I live right down the street and have for years. Dunno why.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1609384 said:
You mean 30.

I haven't been to frijoles before, even though I live right down the street and have for years. Dunno why.

oops - yea. 30. : ) give it a shot. the salsa is heated and incredible!

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
Best 'hole in the wall' mexican - El Jordan's in Oakcliff (south Dallas).