Dallas will be bullies in the run game

cnuball21

Reaction score
Serviceable just barely gets us by in regular season .and whose on the street (or trade?) that would instantly give us
the splash edge we sorely need to a higher level of play ?

For 3 straight playoff appearances, the RB workings and scheme, - whether run or pass, have been
zero completely non-existence ,.. and that leaves it all upon Dak alone to push us b ..and that itself has led to failure ..3 str8 times

Cowboys thought a change of play caller, and addition of Cooks , and a high ankle sprain recovering starting Pollard,
would remedy the offensive woes of the playoffs ... it hasn't ..it won't...and there's nada here now that says it will be better.

We needed to add a dynamic RB and a successful scheme , and ADD mightily to whatever Dak can conjure.
:mad:
I’d be calling the teams with the crowded RB rooms that have backups that are better than our starters.

quickccc

Reaction score
I’d be calling the teams with the crowded RB rooms that have backups that are better than our starters.
Knowing Stephen..it's gotta be practically late 6th round picks at the very least.

And even that won't happen unless it's an incredible rash of depleted Injuries ,imo.

Otherwise expect veteran street FAs that are willing to play for minimum vet peanuts

Dalvin cook, Hunt, etc.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Knowing Stephen..it's gotta be practically late 6th round picks at the very least.

And even that won't happen unless it's an incredible rash of depleted Injuries ,imo.

Otherwise expect veteran street FAs that are willing to play for minimum vet peanuts

Dalvin cook, Hunt, etc.
Probably right…cap boy gonna cap boy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Tyler Smith at left guard Cooper Beebe at center and Zach Martin at right guard, will be bullies in the run game. Ad in Guyton and Steel ,and I predict Dallas will be a handful for defenses in the run game.The Cowboys will focus on running the ball, and be one of the better running teams in 2024.
However ourn OL coach will decide to play zone blocking and a flex scheme

RonWashington

Reaction score
Why doesn’t anyone mention Freeman the ex Ram FA. Isn’t he up for some touches .

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah, two rookies are going to turn the line into a wrecking crew. :laugh:
and a hofer, and an all pro, and a previous stud hopefully returning to form. i don't think it's far fetched.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
i think the idea would be to Add a strong run game.. to a pass heavy Dak attack.

Much like:
- Lion Gibbs/Montgomery to Goff....
- Achane- Mostert to Tua in Miami
- James Cook to QB Josh Allen
- Travis Ett to Trevor Lawrence
- Etc.

My problem is the 90's immense run game did not resort to draw-play handoffs from shot gun formation, that these
coaches cannot resist to do.

I'd rather compare the 2016 Zeke run game rather than the " Great Wall of Dallas " of the dynasty 90's
And even then that was Tyron, Fredricks, Martin and one year wonder Ron Leary.

Huh? Wasn't Leary the starting guard in 2014 when Murray set the franchise record and then again in 2016 when Zeke led the NFL as a rook? Leary paved the way for not one but two NFL rushing champs. Then for good measure he helped pave the way for McFadden to top 1000 yards in only 11 starts in 2015. Leary may not have had a super long career, but he was far from a "one year wonder."

Check this out..

in 2013, the year before Leary became the starter the Cowboys rushed for 1504 yards and 4.5 ypc
in 2014 the year Leary because the starter the Cowboys rush for 2354 yards and 4.6 ypc

Now the Cowboys also added Zack Martin to their line that year but most people would agree that Leary's power was a huge plus. Ask JJ Watt whom he pancaked a half dozen times when he faced him.

In 2015 when the Cowboys replaced Leary with Collins they rushed for 1890 yards and 4.6 ypc
In 2016 when Collins got hurt and Leary had to step back in the Cowboys rushed for 2396 yards and 4.8 ypc

Was it all Leary? Of course not.. But it's just not accurate to dismiss what he brought as a "one year wonder."

Then look at his time in Denver.

In 2016 the year before Leary went to Denver they rushed for 1484 yds and 3.6 ypc
in 2017 the Broncos rushed for 1852 yards and 4.1 ypc

It's clear his presence in the lineup was a plus. How much is open for debate but we all know the Cowboys missed him when they inserted Collins in his place and in both Dallas and Denver the running game got noticeably better when Leary was in the lineup.

Carter

Reaction score
Freeman was a 3rd rounder but some folks on this board talk up Vaughn like he’s a meaningful part of the attack .

:huh:
neither of them is.

Draft Status means nothing when u dont perform. So far most UDFA did more than Freeman in his career