Dalton's numbers aren't encouraging

pete026

Reaction score
What game did you watch?

Dalton came in, and Dallas scored 17 points.
You're right, must have watched a different game because I thought the final score was 37-34.

Oh yeah, it was. FWIW, 24 + 17 doesn’t equal 37.

But you are right, give the guy a shot. But also be balanced in that effort. He was in no way clean against the 0-5 Giants but it was a pretty small sample size.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He throws a lot of short stuff, especially early. Always had to against those defenses in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

He doesn't have the greatest arm, but he reads defenses well and he's accurate. Plus, he's a tough hombre. He used to drive OU nuts in college with half their talent. The kid had moxie.

Best backup quarterback in the league for sure. And he's playing for an opportunity next year to start somewhere.

He just needed out of that hell-hole that Joe Burrow now finds himself in.

+1 ......but the key is being the same page with his receivers. For example, knowing Coop runs excellent routes but has a small catch radius vs Lamb and Gallup with a much larger radius.

Brax

Reaction score
I think he was the best option for a backup QB and applauded them for landing him; however, that was before I knew he was actually going to have to play.

The last 3 years he was in CIN, his TD to INT was 62 to 37. His playoff record is worse, 1 to 6.

The posts about him being an improvement over Prescott are puzzling to say the least, Prescott is the reason they're 2-3 and not 0-5 and our QB talk centering around the draft.

There can be a lot of different reasons for Dalton's record the last 3 seasons or his availability as a backup or having that as his only option but the only way he is going to save this season, and I think the best of that is winning the East, is with a lot of help.

Now, you can say he didn't get that in CIN and I will agree but will he get that in DAL? There seems to be this feeling that everybody will up their game because the backup QB is in and they'll rally and "Win one for the Dakster". All of the sudden, the D will not look like rejects at a Keystone Cops casting call.

This certainly isn't an ideal situation for Dalton and had he known the 2 OT's and C and his backup would be gone, he might have reconsidered this. He does have one thing in his favor, he can use his feet and neither Cassel or Weeden could do that effectively. However, in his last season in CIN, he did fumble 8 times.

The numbers don't tell the entire story but I wonder about where his head is at. He had a terrible last season in CIN. He got benched and was then brought back in and they ended up with the top draft pick and used it to replace him. I wonder if he was looking for a soft spot after a year like that? Take a little bit of the pressure off because it had to be unbearable.

So, if you're looking for drama in this 2020 NFL season, look no further than your Dallas Cowboys. Got a HC looking for redemption and now he has a QB looking for the same thing. Rarely does this happen, two men in the same boat, each needing the other to save them. And it's their first season together and they couldn't be in a worse place. Ain't no hiding in Dallas.

This isn't a rap against Andy Dalton, just some of the facts about his numbers. Players have beaten the numbers before and there is one thing for sure, McC and Dalton do not have to imagine what the other is thinking, they no exactly how each other is feeling. They should have as strong a bond as possible in this short period of time knowing each other.

I am not a numbers guy as much as one that is interested in the human condition. I've been pretty much wrong about that the last few times and centered on that with McC trying to redeem himself but now that has been magnified with his QB needing the same thing. The pain of their teams not wanting them has to still sting and that human condition side of me wonders can that be the magic?

Think about it. The HC is under fire and his old team is off to a great start. The QB's replacement in CIN is already being heralded as a future HOF. They are already distant memories after only being gone a couple of years.

I do believe in that having something to prove but that's in my heart. My mind looks at this team and tells my heart what a fool it is.
I stopped reading at this statement .

RonnieT24

Reaction score
balance is key. balance is easier to establish if you're not spotting the other team 14-17 points to start the game. balance is not losing fumbles. tony's best year, 2014, murray was running over everyone and we were balanced. we need to return to being balanced. dak's best year, 2016, zeke was crushing it and we were balance.

Don't forget that Murray started that year off with a fumble in like the first 5 games. Then he would get mad at having made a mistake and go beast mode the rest of the game. I think Zeke has a chance to do something similar if Moore will just stick with him instead of dropping into 5 wide as soon as Zeke starts to look like he's rolling. Moore's playcalling scares me because he doesn't seem to value the running game at all. And 90% of his run plays seem to be between the A gaps. Then there's the fact that almost all our runs come out of that infernal shotgun. We got a powerful downhill runner and we make him hit the middle of the defense without a head of steam repeatedly. I hate it.. I really do..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I do not underestimate the lack of coverage this kid has gotten as a motivator. Even the sportscasters when they do cover him, admit that.

He reminds me of Nolan Smith, "The Gnat". He is one small dude to be playing with the big boys but he's no novelty, the kid can play the game. He's got that same baseball delivery that Mahomes and Wilson have.

And I do not underestimate Hopkins returning to Texas either. He has to be happy, O'Brien gets canned one week in Houston and he's coming to Dallas to play on MNF against a secondary that's just begging to get torched and let's not forget who else likes to play Dallas, "Mr. Hands".

Reminds me of another MNF game against these Cards before they moved to the desert for their allergies and that was in Dallas as well. I sat there in shock and disbelief as they dismantled the Cowboys 38-0 and the fans were calling for Dandy Don. Howard turned to Don and said "well, Dandy"? "No way" was Don's response and in those two words was the pain he still felt at being the most mistreated hometown QB in NFL history.

I asked Bob Lilly about him and he got this look on his face and said the fans should have loved Don as much as his teammates did, he said he was one of the toughest players he'd ever seen. Some did but the ones that didn't must have been the grandparents of the Romorooters and Dakaters of the last few years.

Anytime I think of Don Meredith, I think of what the NFL calls the longest pass in NFL history with no yards after catch, 83 yards to Bullet. That is hard to imagine but one night in warmups, I saw Jim Hart go goal line to goal line, that ain't human.
I saw Dandy Don play for the Cowboys in the Cotton Bowl when I was a sprite tagging along with my dad. That combo to Bullet Bob was unbelievable.

Cowboys fans have a nasty history of being stupidly unfair to their QBs. They can’t just be good. They are required to be perfect or else the backup or some other team’s QB is clearly better. Dandy was so sick of it he retired early. Even Roger and Troy, our two HOFers, were treated like they were spares by some of our spoiled fans after a loss. Romo and Dak have also been pulverized at times. It’s crazy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If they can achieve that. With this OL and DC's knowing that is exactly what they want to do, I don't know if this run game is good enough.

But I would surely prefer they run block and that pass protect and give us a premature look at "The Nooch".

If the team struggles with Dalton in there, I'd like us to take a long look at DiNucci, not because I'm expecting him to make paying Dak unnecessary (which would be nice from the standpoint of cap savings), but because we need to develop him into at least a No. 1 backup if possible.

Because the East is so bad, though, I don't know when we would pull the plug. At this rate, the East could be won at 7-9 or even 6-10 it appears.

Proof

Reaction score
I would thrown in there over the last 3 years Dalton did not have much in terms of talent around him. Last year he had nothing to speak of in terms of WR, in 2018 He had Green who was injured much of the time and outside of Green not much. I think Dalton does have a lot to prove but at least in walks into a situation where he has legit weapons at his disposal.

AJ green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross, Giovanni Bernard, Eiffert, etc? Not to mention Mixon

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he was the best option for a backup QB and applauded them for landing him; however, that was before I knew he was actually going to have to play.

The last 3 years he was in CIN, his TD to INT was 62 to 37. His playoff record is worse, 1 to 6.

The posts about him being an improvement over Prescott are puzzling to say the least, Prescott is the reason they're 2-3 and not 0-5 and our QB talk centering around the draft.

There can be a lot of different reasons for Dalton's record the last 3 seasons or his availability as a backup or having that as his only option but the only way he is going to save this season, and I think the best of that is winning the East, is with a lot of help.

Now, you can say he didn't get that in CIN and I will agree but will he get that in DAL? There seems to be this feeling that everybody will up their game because the backup QB is in and they'll rally and "Win one for the Dakster". All of the sudden, the D will not look like rejects at a Keystone Cops casting call.

This certainly isn't an ideal situation for Dalton and had he known the 2 OT's and C and his backup would be gone, he might have reconsidered this. He does have one thing in his favor, he can use his feet and neither Cassel or Weeden could do that effectively. However, in his last season in CIN, he did fumble 8 times.

The numbers don't tell the entire story but I wonder about where his head is at. He had a terrible last season in CIN. He got benched and was then brought back in and they ended up with the top draft pick and used it to replace him. I wonder if he was looking for a soft spot after a year like that? Take a little bit of the pressure off because it had to be unbearable.

So, if you're looking for drama in this 2020 NFL season, look no further than your Dallas Cowboys. Got a HC looking for redemption and now he has a QB looking for the same thing. Rarely does this happen, two men in the same boat, each needing the other to save them. And it's their first season together and they couldn't be in a worse place. Ain't no hiding in Dallas.

This isn't a rap against Andy Dalton, just some of the facts about his numbers. Players have beaten the numbers before and there is one thing for sure, McC and Dalton do not have to imagine what the other is thinking, they no exactly how each other is feeling. They should have as strong a bond as possible in this short period of time knowing each other.

I am not a numbers guy as much as one that is interested in the human condition. I've been pretty much wrong about that the last few times and centered on that with McC trying to redeem himself but now that has been magnified with his QB needing the same thing. The pain of their teams not wanting them has to still sting and that human condition side of me wonders can that be the magic?

Think about it. The HC is under fire and his old team is off to a great start. The QB's replacement in CIN is already being heralded as a future HOF. They are already distant memories after only being gone a couple of years.

I do believe in that having something to prove but that's in my heart. My mind looks at this team and tells my heart what a fool it is.

Don't just use garbage numbers from the garbage Bengals. How'd Dalton do with us vs the giants? 9/11 111yards no TD, no INT. Not a terrible start and 2 of those passes were money to gallop to win the game. Not bad for a guy with no camp on a new team and probably few reps during the week. While he's had a few good players he's never had an offense built like ours.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I stopped reading at this statement .
OK, then this is for you.

and our QB talk centering around the draft.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't just use garbage numbers from the garbage Bengals. How'd Dalton do with us vs the giants? 9/11 111yards no TD, no INT. Not a terrible start and 2 of those passes were money to gallop to win the game. Not bad for a guy with no camp on a new team and probably few reps during the week. While he's had a few good players he's never had an offense built like ours.
Can't use part of a game vs the last 3 years with a team.

And he's had an OL like this one before, that's what helped get him those numbers.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the team struggles with Dalton in there, I'd like us to take a long look at DiNucci, not because I'm expecting him to make paying Dak unnecessary (which would be nice from the standpoint of cap savings), but because we need to develop him into at least a No. 1 backup if possible.

Because the East is so bad, though, I don't know when we would pull the plug. At this rate, the East could be won at 7-9 or even 6-10 it appears.
I don't think that happens unless Dalton gets injured or the Cowboys are out of it. Hell, with the way the East is this year, all the teams might not be mathematically eliminated until the last Sunday.

starman22

Reaction score
+1 ......but the key is being the same page with his receivers. For example, knowing Coop runs excellent routes but has a small catch radius vs Lamb and Gallup with a much larger radius.

I would think if you know these facts, the Dallas Cowboys backup QB would as well.

But I get your point.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can't use part of a game vs the last 3 years with a team.

And he's had an OL like this one before, that's what helped get him those numbers.

He's had a good OL, better than what we have now but he's never had 3 stud WR's plus a good RB at the same time. Even with our OL issues we still have a QB's dream at skill positions especially since schultz is looking like an additional threat at TE too.

basel90

Reaction score
He is not good under pressure. Defenses are going to sell out stopping the run and applying pressure around the LOS. Dalton has to able to make quick reads and get the ball out fast. I think he is playing with as good or better a supporting cast now than any time in his career. It's the defense that is going to kill the Cowboys. Playing from behind will not be a good situation for Dalton.
Dak was terrible under pressure and good defenses, have you seen his turnovers ? plus his record against pressure defenses and quality defenses is not good at all.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Some pundits think that Dalton being the QB will make the Cowboys have to focus on running the ball more, so maybe that will help some with the defense by keeping them off of the field as long as the offense can clean up on turnovers.

But, I still don't have much faith in the defense unless they start to play with major improvements.

Swagger

Reaction score
Dak has been significantly better in the NFL than the guy Tannehill replaced. And once they pulled the plug on Mariota the Titans had the good sense to put the ball in the hands of Derrick Henry as often as humanly possible. I would not be opposed to seeing us do the same with Zeke..
I agree all round

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I think we will see a different level of heat cast upon Dalton once defenses game plan for him and attack his tendencies. It's going to look very familiar to what Dak faced in 2017.

This is also true. Some believe that Dalton will be better once he gets full reps and practices with the team, but on the other side of that defenses will start to game plan for him instead of game planning for Dak which was what the Giants defense had done before Dalton had to take over.

Swagger

Reaction score
This is also true. Some believe that Dalton will be better once he gets full reps and practices with the team, but on the other side of that defenses will start to game plan for him instead of game planning for Dak which was what the Giants defense had done before Dalton had to take over.
The other flip side is that Dalton will be better at reading a defensive coverage and breaking down the protection he needs for each play. Especially without any fans. Tannehill did it well last night. Rodgers has been owning it and Wilson. The vet QB's are thriving without any fans