Dalton's numbers aren't encouraging

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Easy.. one has thrown 1 TD and 6 picks in 4 playoff games while the other has 5 TDs and 2 picks in 3 games. One guy was probably a big reason why his team lost while the other guy did his part and maybe a little more but could not overcome a porous defense that gave up 30 or more points in his two losses. Dalton put up 10,13,10 and 10 points in his playoff appearances.. meanwhile Dak has put up 31, 24 and 22. I won't insult you by adding up the numbers for you but seems like it's pretty easy to see that one guy showed up in the playoffs and the other .. well didn't. One guy's passer rating is 95.7 for his playoff career.. The other guy's is 57.8. Dak's WORST playoff game passer rating of 83.8 was better than Dalton's BEST passer rating of 67.0 Dalton has two playoff games with 2 or more INTs. Dak has thrown a total of 2 INTS in his 3 playoff games. We Cowboy fans better hope that Dalton has matured into a QB who can perform a little better under the bright lights than that..

So Dak scored all those points alone? Hell of a guy then.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Dak was terrible under pressure and good defenses, have you seen his turnovers ? plus his record against pressure defenses and quality defenses is not good at all.
Bing, I thought this was a Dalton thread. Did you not hear, Dak is out for the remainder of the year?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
actually we had nice big lead one game i believe in ATL when the defense just forgot to show up and we lost.. weeden was the qb got us to big lead...
im not worried..I believe dalton was a better layer before he became backup then weeden was, so he should be better suited for us now..

To be accurate Weeden "led" us to that lead by handing off the Joe Randle who scored 3 TDs in the first half and McFadden threw in another one for good measure. As soon as the Falcons stacked the line and dared Weeden to make throws our offense disappeared.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Su what do we do then? Give dak $40 million per leaving the team very little financial means (salary cap) to fix the D and OL?

I'm outta ideas. In the end, it gets down to the Owner not firing himself and getting a competent GM...Jones is the one constant since the last championship...

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
The Cowboys were beating the Giants at half time, and didn't lose the lead until after Dalton fumbled the snap. He engineered a comeback because he surrendered the lead.

What are we talking about here?
No surprise at all that he fumbled or something similar. First time starting for Dallas Cowboys, new team, new location, new coach, new receivers I give him a pass. Now if it becomes a habit, then we're sending him to the indoor league.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I think he was the best option for a backup QB and applauded them for landing him; however, that was before I knew he was actually going to have to play.

The last 3 years he was in CIN, his TD to INT was 62 to 37. His playoff record is worse, 1 to 6.

The posts about him being an improvement over Prescott are puzzling to say the least, Prescott is the reason they're 2-3 and not 0-5 and our QB talk centering around the draft.

There can be a lot of different reasons for Dalton's record the last 3 seasons or his availability as a backup or having that as his only option but the only way he is going to save this season, and I think the best of that is winning the East, is with a lot of help.

Now, you can say he didn't get that in CIN and I will agree but will he get that in DAL? There seems to be this feeling that everybody will up their game because the backup QB is in and they'll rally and "Win one for the Dakster". All of the sudden, the D will not look like rejects at a Keystone Cops casting call.

This certainly isn't an ideal situation for Dalton and had he known the 2 OT's and C and his backup would be gone, he might have reconsidered this. He does have one thing in his favor, he can use his feet and neither Cassel or Weeden could do that effectively. However, in his last season in CIN, he did fumble 8 times.

The numbers don't tell the entire story but I wonder about where his head is at. He had a terrible last season in CIN. He got benched and was then brought back in and they ended up with the top draft pick and used it to replace him. I wonder if he was looking for a soft spot after a year like that? Take a little bit of the pressure off because it had to be unbearable.

So, if you're looking for drama in this 2020 NFL season, look no further than your Dallas Cowboys. Got a HC looking for redemption and now he has a QB looking for the same thing. Rarely does this happen, two men in the same boat, each needing the other to save them. And it's their first season together and they couldn't be in a worse place. Ain't no hiding in Dallas.

This isn't a rap against Andy Dalton, just some of the facts about his numbers. Players have beaten the numbers before and there is one thing for sure, McC and Dalton do not have to imagine what the other is thinking, they no exactly how each other is feeling. They should have as strong a bond as possible in this short period of time knowing each other.

I am not a numbers guy as much as one that is interested in the human condition. I've been pretty much wrong about that the last few times and centered on that with McC trying to redeem himself but now that has been magnified with his QB needing the same thing. The pain of their teams not wanting them has to still sting and that human condition side of me wonders can that be the magic?

Think about it. The HC is under fire and his old team is off to a great start. The QB's replacement in CIN is already being heralded as a future HOF. They are already distant memories after only being gone a couple of years.

I do believe in that having something to prove but that's in my heart. My mind looks at this team and tells my heart what a fool it is.

Could he be better with better coaching? Ryan Tannahill’s numbers were horrible in Miami, he looks like a HOF’er since going to Tennessee.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he was the best option for a backup QB and applauded them for landing him; however, that was before I knew he was actually going to have to play.

The last 3 years he was in CIN, his TD to INT was 62 to 37. His playoff record is worse, 1 to 6.

The posts about him being an improvement over Prescott are puzzling to say the least, Prescott is the reason they're 2-3 and not 0-5 and our QB talk centering around the draft.

There can be a lot of different reasons for Dalton's record the last 3 seasons or his availability as a backup or having that as his only option but the only way he is going to save this season, and I think the best of that is winning the East, is with a lot of help.

Now, you can say he didn't get that in CIN and I will agree but will he get that in DAL? There seems to be this feeling that everybody will up their game because the backup QB is in and they'll rally and "Win one for the Dakster". All of the sudden, the D will not look like rejects at a Keystone Cops casting call.

This certainly isn't an ideal situation for Dalton and had he known the 2 OT's and C and his backup would be gone, he might have reconsidered this. He does have one thing in his favor, he can use his feet and neither Cassel or Weeden could do that effectively. However, in his last season in CIN, he did fumble 8 times.

The numbers don't tell the entire story but I wonder about where his head is at. He had a terrible last season in CIN. He got benched and was then brought back in and they ended up with the top draft pick and used it to replace him. I wonder if he was looking for a soft spot after a year like that? Take a little bit of the pressure off because it had to be unbearable.

So, if you're looking for drama in this 2020 NFL season, look no further than your Dallas Cowboys. Got a HC looking for redemption and now he has a QB looking for the same thing. Rarely does this happen, two men in the same boat, each needing the other to save them. And it's their first season together and they couldn't be in a worse place. Ain't no hiding in Dallas.

This isn't a rap against Andy Dalton, just some of the facts about his numbers. Players have beaten the numbers before and there is one thing for sure, McC and Dalton do not have to imagine what the other is thinking, they no exactly how each other is feeling. They should have as strong a bond as possible in this short period of time knowing each other.

I am not a numbers guy as much as one that is interested in the human condition. I've been pretty much wrong about that the last few times and centered on that with McC trying to redeem himself but now that has been magnified with his QB needing the same thing. The pain of their teams not wanting them has to still sting and that human condition side of me wonders can that be the magic?

Think about it. The HC is under fire and his old team is off to a great start. The QB's replacement in CIN is already being heralded as a future HOF. They are already distant memories after only being gone a couple of years.

I do believe in that having something to prove but that's in my heart. My mind looks at this team and tells my heart what a fool it is.

He does not appear to have lost any of his physical ability.

It will come down to the OL. If he gets pummeled then he won't be very good. If he gets just ok protection then he will have success with these WRs and Zeke as the RB.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
1. Zurlein won the Atlanta game with a phenomenal onside kick and then game winner.
2. Dalton engineered the comeback against the Giants. Prescott took 2 quarters off before starting the process of digging the team out of a hole. But Dalton finished it.

3. Maybe Dalton will be our Jim Plunket. He was as good as his supporting cast in Cincy. He's got a better supporting cast now......at least on offense.

bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Nice contortionist post!! You win the contest for fastest to put their head in their ***!!

bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

plasticman

Reaction score
after Dalton was signed, many posters suggested that he should start instead of Dak. In defense of Dak I cited the numbers mentioned by the OP.

However, let me make this clear:

I was never anti-Dalton in respect to his career. I simply wanted to point out the difference in quality of play between Dak and "present day" Dalton. Some posters tried to use his stats of seven years ago to compare to Dak and I declared them to be irrelevant because that version of Dalton, healthier, quicker, etc., no longer existed.

I also didn't like the signing of a veteran in his final years and the fact that it meant there was nothing to build on in the future. We've been down that road so many times since Jimmy Johnson and it always led nowhere.

My philosophy has always been to develop more than one quarterback simultaneously allowing the competition to motivate and increase the speed of their development. I'm not saying the Cowboys should draft a QB in the 1st round every other year but I also don't mean 6th and 7th rounders or rookie free agents. I was thinking along the lines of drafting legitimate potential NFL talent from collge in the 2nd through 4th rounds...normally. Of course if they find someone they really think is a value at the 1st round...or 7th round, then by all means,

With all this said, it's just a discussion of the past and future. Today, the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys is Andy Dalton. I am rooting for him to prove me and others completely wrong when it comes to his expected productivity.

Now, it could happen. There are numerous stories of QB's whose twilight turned out to be their best seasons, many of them are SB champions. Offensively, the Cowboys might be giving him the best personnel he's ever had, although not as good as we all my have expected. He's got great skill players but the offensive line situation today pretty much mirrors his ten year career in Cincinatti.

Again, comparing Dalton to Dak is meaningless. The other issue is that I saw a glimmer of hope last Sunday. Dalton came right out and took care of business. Yes, he was gifted great field position but the fact that he did his job should not be discounted. How many were looking to see Dalton throw it into traffic during his first drive, turn the ball over and add \additonal misery of losing the game after losing Dak.

There was adversity,but he ovecame it enough for a game winning drive that included two great catches....from two great throws.

With returning defenders and incrementally improved O-line play as they gain experience and familiarity, the Cowboys could tgurn this season around. Look at it this way. Someone in the NFC East has to.

jnday

Reaction score
I saw Dandy Don play for the Cowboys in the Cotton Bowl when I was a sprite tagging along with my dad. That combo to Bullet Bob was unbelievable.

Cowboys fans have a nasty history of being stupidly unfair to their QBs. They can’t just be good. They are required to be perfect or else the backup or some other team’s QB is clearly better. Dandy was so sick of it he retired early. Even Roger and Troy, our two HOFers, were treated like they were spares by some of our spoiled fans after a loss. Romo and Dak have also been pulverized at times. It’s crazy.
Real, old school, Cowboy fans are rare these days, but the few of us around have little patience for the Cowboys rebuilding this team. OS fans have much higher expectations for America’s Team than the Jones family , coaches and especially some players of these low-effort players that are in Dallas just for a check every week. As it stands , the team is dumb, low-effort type of players may have talent, but they should be gone. Dallas doesn’t have a good enough coach to get their best efforts from these players.

jnday

Reaction score
It was a good throw but there can be no denying that it was underthrown. Just watch Gallup having to bend backwards to haul it in. Dropping it in the breadbasket would have resulted in a touchdown.
Now that Dalton is starting, the Dak lovers will try hard to prove just how unworthy of a QB that Dalton really is. They will never make me think that Dalton is not capable of having a very good season with the WRs and RB talent that he now has as teammates.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Now that Dalton is starting, the Dak lovers will try hard to prove just how unworthy of a QB that Dalton really is. They will never make me think that Dalton is not capable of having a very good season with the WRs and RB talent that he now has as teammates.
yeah, he won't get the excuses and all the losses will be on him. sad but true.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Nah, I don't roll that way. I support every player who plays for the Cowboys. Hell as much as it hurt I cheered for T.O. when he was here. To give that context I used to live in the Bay Area and was there when T.O. was there. Ran into him in a number of settings and that dude was the most self absorbed asswipe I ever encountered. But I cheer for the Cowboys and anybody who plays for them. I've been doing so for 55 years and won't stop now. If we win because of Dalton I will gladly give him the credit.. If we lose because he plays like crap I will point that out too.. and if they win in spite of him, I will call that as I see it as well. Unlike some here, I don't have any anti-bias against any player wearing the Star. I want them all to play like all pros.. I think Dalton can play well if plays within himself. I don't think he is capable of putting this team on his back the way Dak has for stretches this year. If he proves me wrong he proves me wrong. I'll live. And be happy about it because my team will be (hopefully) be winning. WHat I believe is more likely to happen is that the coaching staff takes the wakeup call and stops calling 70% pass plays. That might work if you have even a mediocre defense but this defense is all time historically bad. You need to protect it.. Period. That means slow the pace, hand it to Zeke 25 times a game and allow Dalton to manage the game.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Could he be better with better coaching? Ryan Tannahill’s numbers were horrible in Miami, he looks like a HOF’er since going to Tennessee.

There has been a ton of QBs who didn't get it figured out in the NFL until age 30 and later. Not everyone learns at the same rate. I think having Henry to fall back on has been a huge boost for him as well. I don't think he ever had that level of running threat in Miami. And I have to question how you call his numbers in Miami "horrible" when they were nearly identical to what Dalton had in Cincy. Completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, yards per attempt, passer rating were all about the same.. Tannehill didn't have a AG Green to throw it to either. I like Jarvis Landry but he aint on that level..

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
You know who will make you think that Dalton isn’t capable of having a very good season with the WRs and Rb talent that he now has with his team mates ? Andy Dalton will LOL .