Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

InTheZone

Reaction score
Like i said earlier, the "what ifs" of this debate are now going to be played out....no more arguing over scenarios. If the problem was Dak you will get to see it front and center.

or... your going to know maybe Dak wasn't the problem
yes, as I've always said and have wanted to see Dalton get a chance to show what we may be missing with this team.

jnday

Reaction score
I can't help thinking like a fan....I am one from the 60's. The best business decision is to keep Dak if he can still play and that is what will happen as long as he is able.

Maybe you need to stop thinking like a Dallas Cowboys Fanzone troll.
Is it good business to pay Dak 40 million a year when you can get the same results from a 25 million QB?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Don't assume. It's a bad first step to anything. I'm not a "Dak fan". I like the guy but I see that while he has plenty of holes in his game, he can play. I also see that he's a hell of a lot better than Andy Dalton. All things being equal (which they absolutely are not in this case) give me the guy that's 5-6 years younger every single time. I'm not even sure how this is a discussion because it's based on Dalton producing on a level he hasn't in years, if ever. Making the playoffs a decade to 5 years ago doesn't impress me. Wouldn't that mean Dak was in college the last time Dalton made the playoffs? First time Dalton made the playoffs Dak was in high school? How far back do we want to go to justify a decision that effects the future? Should we bring Romo or Aikman back based on what they did years or decades ago? What has Dalton done in the last 5 years? 5 years is longer than the average NFL career. Where do we set the cutoff and start accepting that a player's performance as of recent is a better reflection of what we should expect? Since Dak entered the league:

Dalton: 61.6% completion, 13,697 yards, 80 TDs, 45 INTs, 139 sacks, 455 yards rushing, 8 rushing TDs
Prescott: 66.0% completion, 17,634 yards, 106 TDs, 40 INTs, 146 sacks, 1,314 yards rushing, 24 TDs​

Is the disparity not clear? Based on TDs alone, that's like a FG per game in point output.

Yes, and no. I don't think either are good enough - in general - but I do think Dak can be good enough given reasonable circumstances. Sort of a Brad Johnson versus Flacco/Eli Manning situation. Tampa doesn't win the SB without the best defense on the planet. Eli and Flacco won with lesser defenses because they stepped up and made plays in crunch time. Dalton is Brad Johnson. Dak is Eli/Flacco. Dalton will not win without the greatest amount of help, but Dak can win if he gets just a modest amount of help.
Nah I'm going to keep assuming. If I'm wrong so what its a fan messgaeboard. He's not a hell of a lot better than Dalton that's the problem. He's the same level. I don't even know why you're mentioning the age like I said sign Dalton to some big contract for 5/6 years. I see you're one of those obtuse people if you seriously think I was using Dalton playoffs from years ago to do anything other than compare a similar time frame in the league to Dak.

You think Dak can be good enough based on bias. When the heck does Dak even have Eli/Flacco type games ? I don't mean the down by 30 and makes some good stats games either. When does he have those tyoes of games when the game is close throughout? Dak can't win without the greatest amount of help. Last time he didn't have a first rd WR he looked like he was on his way out of the league get real.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
It's more likely that Knight's play and Steele's play will determine if Tyron and La'el will be here next year. Biadazs play will determine if Looney returns, and Anae's progressions will determine if we bring back Lawrence.....

GMO415

Reaction score
Who comes up with his stuff?
cannot-write-essay-1.gif

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak is a top 8 quarterback. The Bears, The 49ers, The Football Team, Colts and others would love to have Dak. You never let your franchise go for free.
Dak is Kirk Cousins and I'd gladly let him walk. I'll give you maybe the Colts/bears because I don't think they'll be bad enough to get a top QB. Washington might be bad enough to get a top pick and I'm not sure about the. 49ers doing it.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Dak is Kirk Cousins and I'd gladly let him walk. I'll give you maybe the Colts/bears because I don't think they'll be bad enough to get a top QB. Washington might be bad enough to get a top pick and I'm not sure about the. 49ers doing it.
You would just let him leave and get nothing for him?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If it came down to it yes. I mean doesn't he have to sign the franchise tag to get traded?
Yes and Jaguars traded there defensive end for a second to the Vikings. Dak is more valuable. You don’t let a top quarterback walk for nothing. The Football team is paying for it right now.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If it came down to it yes. I mean doesn't he have to sign the franchise tag to get traded?

He does.

Though he doesn’t have much of a choice but to sign at some point. He can’t sign elsewhere if he is tagged either.

if the cowboys want to move on and draft a QB. Then I’m ok with it (gotta be a first rounder)

I would hate to get nothing for Dak though. They should be able to get some picks for him. I truly believe.

12+88=7

Reaction score
If Dallas were to let Prescott go they would get a 3rd round comp pick for him.

Technically, not nothing.

jnday

Reaction score
Always a chance, he has to navigate this defense and ofensive tackle situation before we have to ask though....Again I like Dalton, i just really don't believe he is as good as Dak and odds are it's going to show big time because of the situation he is comming into.

If I'm wrong I will take the flogging at the zone courtyard happily because that means we are winnning....It just seems like very long odds to me, it will be literally better than anything he has ever almost done.
Dalton has led just as many game winning drives as Dak has led this season. Let’s be honest, Dak was not enough of a difference maker to win games this season. He is not good enough to carry the team. The $31 million salary this year has been no bargain for the Cowboys compared to the results on the scoreboard .

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Yes and Jaguars traded there defensive end for a second to the Vikings. Dak is more valuable. You don’t let a top quarterback walk for nothing. The Football team is paying for it right now.
I know Dak is more valuable but I'd think the best time to trade him would be around the draft and there is no assurance he'd sign before then. I'm not a franchise trade guru so if I'm missing things I know lol.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
He does.

Though he doesn’t have much of a choice but to sign at some point. He can’t sign elsewhere if he is tagged either.

if the cowboys want to move on and draft a QB. Then I’m ok with it (gotta be a first rounder)

I would hate to get nothing for Dak though. They should be able to get some picks for him. I truly believe.
Yeah I don't know how the franchise tag would work in regards to trades if he doesn't sign before the draft. If Dalton plays like I think he will unless we trade up we won't be able to get a top QB. You know how I feel about Dak, Dalton, Cousins, and Smith so I think he will play just decent enough to take us out of the running for a top tier QB and we will be in. Kirk Cousins land next offseason again.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Dak isn't going to have much of a choice. He's going to get tagged again. The Cowboys aren't gonna let him walk for nothing when they can get something for him in a trade.

You're probably right. The team would rather get a draft pick and lose him than simply lose him. Or they might find a way to keep him if they can finally come to terms. A lot will depend on how well his physical rehab goes. He could even walk away from the game if it's bad enough, though I would consider that less likely. We'll see.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

Ironically, Prescott has to root against Dallas for his future in Dallas.

Dak will get Franchised again.

The end.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know how the franchise tag would work in regards to trades if he doesn't sign before the draft. If Dalton plays like I think he will unless we trade up we won't be able to get a top QB. You know how I feel about Dak, Dalton, Cousins, and Smith so I think he will play just decent enough to take us out of the running for a top tier QB and we will be in. Kirk Cousins land next offseason again.

A player who has been tagged can not be traded until the tag is signed. Now those that think there is even a remote chance that the Cowboys regardless what Dalton does or doesn't do will ever trade the QB they have said repeatedly even after this injury that Prescott is their QB of the future. The only ones that believe that the Cowboys would trade Prescott are the same ones that have wanted Prescott gone to start out with.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
If Dallas were to let Prescott go they would get a 3rd round comp pick for him.

Technically, not nothing.
Whenever you can let a franchise QB walk for a 3rd round comp pick you just have to do it. Great team building

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

A player who was tagged can not be traded until he signs the tag offer, but more importantly is the Cowboys, Jerry, Stephen and McCarthy have said all along and even after this injury that Prescott is their QB for the future so the chances that they would then trade him is just about ZERO.