Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
lights out is less 41-14s going into the 4th Q and more consistency with the offense for most of the game, not just one quarter

Like i said earlier, the "what ifs" of this debate are now going to be played out....no more arguing over scenarios. If the problem was Dak you will get to see it front and center.

or... your going to know maybe Dak wasn't the problem

Swagger

Reaction score
Maybe but your asking someone to take a 10 million dollar cut.......so what 1 out of hundreds would do this? he signed with the Cowboys because he was home during COVID with not alot of GM's rinigng his phone.
I hear you and you are probably right but I just think if a vet QB would take a hair cut on salary then it would be Dalton for the reasons given.

Not saying he will but there's a chance.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I hear you and you are probably right but I just think if a vet QB would take a hair cut on salary then it would be Dalton for the reasons given.

Not saying he will but there's a chance.

Always a chance, he has to navigate this defense and ofensive tackle situation before we have to ask though....Again I like Dalton, i just really don't believe he is as good as Dak and odds are it's going to show big time because of the situation he is comming into.

If I'm wrong I will take the flogging at the zone courtyard happily because that means we are winnning....It just seems like very long odds to me, it will be literally better than anything he has ever almost done.

doomsday808

Reaction score
I don't see Dalton as being a part of the Cowboys' future. I think it all depends on Dak's recovery progress through the 2021 NFL Draft.
Best Case scenario- Dak is on track to make a full recovery and is on track to play when the 2021 season starts. Even if at 90%. He will be given a new contract.
Worst case scenario- Set backs in Dak's recovery progress. He is not projected to return at the start of the 2021 season. We draft our future QB in 2021 NFL draft. Dak is franchise tagged again. He recovers as a Cowboy and hopefully plays a backup roll and/or mentor.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Who are these fans who refused to support Dak but unite behind Dalton and or criticize him off the field? People love getting online and mentioning some nebulous "they" with no proof. You can find maybe 1/2 serious posters that fit your claims but the majority just trying to see wins one way or another. They might not like Dak as QB but all this Dalton love I'm not really seeing it outside of the same few people we all know. Don't make the minority of the fans the majority.

There are a fair share of Cowboys fans who try to be debbie downers in any positive comment or compliment that is made about Dak anywhere on the internet. And those who refuse to give Dak any credit for the good plays he makes or for the games won with him as the Cowboys QB. Some accuse people of cheering against Dalton not to succeed, when there are Cowboys fans out there who are hostile towards any person who supports Dak or even makes a positive comment about Dak. Then they feel the need to come in make some negative remark towards Dak or towards the person who is giving Dak praise or credit.

In this board there are Nicknames made for people who aren't overly negative about Dak all of the time. I'm sure that there will be these section of fans which will be more open towards Dalton than they ever were willing to be with Dak.

ETA: And are you saying that there aren't certain fans who looked forward to the Cowboys losing so they could make a bunch of Anti-Dak threads.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
You do know Dalton made the playoffs his first 5 years right? I'm assuming you're a Dak fan and the only thing separating them is a playoff win. Using your logic we shouldn't invest in Dak either unless one playoff win equals 40mil plus on your books.

Don't assume. It's a bad first step to anything. I'm not a "Dak fan". I like the guy but I see that while he has plenty of holes in his game, he can play. I also see that he's a hell of a lot better than Andy Dalton. All things being equal (which they absolutely are not in this case) give me the guy that's 5-6 years younger every single time. I'm not even sure how this is a discussion because it's based on Dalton producing on a level he hasn't in years, if ever. Making the playoffs a decade to 5 years ago doesn't impress me. Wouldn't that mean Dak was in college the last time Dalton made the playoffs? First time Dalton made the playoffs Dak was in high school? How far back do we want to go to justify a decision that effects the future? Should we bring Romo or Aikman back based on what they did years or decades ago? What has Dalton done in the last 5 years? 5 years is longer than the average NFL career. Where do we set the cutoff and start accepting that a player's performance as of recent is a better reflection of what we should expect? Since Dak entered the league:

Dalton: 61.6% completion, 13,697 yards, 80 TDs, 45 INTs, 139 sacks, 455 yards rushing, 8 rushing TDs
Prescott: 66.0% completion, 17,634 yards, 106 TDs, 40 INTs, 146 sacks, 1,314 yards rushing, 24 TDs​

Is the disparity not clear? Based on TDs alone, that's like a FG per game in point output.

Now we do agree that Dalton is just good enough. The funny thing is so is Dak but y'all can't seem to see that. Must be some football fatherly love for Dak since he was drafted here. Make no mistake though Dak is the same caliber of player that is just good enough to keep you from getting a franchise guy.

Yes, and no. I don't think either are good enough - in general - but I do think Dak can be good enough given reasonable circumstances. Sort of a Brad Johnson versus Flacco/Eli Manning situation. Tampa doesn't win the SB without the best defense on the planet. Eli and Flacco won with lesser defenses because they stepped up and made plays in crunch time. Dalton is Brad Johnson. Dak is Eli/Flacco. Dalton will not win without the greatest amount of help, but Dak can win if he gets just a modest amount of help.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Don't assume. It's a bad first step to anything. I'm not a "Dak fan". I like the guy but I see that while he has plenty of holes in his game, he can play. I also see that he's a hell of a lot better than Andy Dalton. All things being equal (which they absolutely are not in this case) give me the guy that's 5-6 years younger every single time. I'm not even sure how this is a discussion because it's based on Dalton producing on a level he hasn't in years, if ever. Making the playoffs a decade to 5 years ago doesn't impress me. Wouldn't that mean Dak was in college the last time Dalton made the playoffs? First time Dalton made the playoffs Dak was in high school? How far back do we want to go to justify a decision that effects the future? Should we bring Romo or Aikman back based on what they did years or decades ago? What has Dalton done in the last 5 years? 5 years is longer than the average NFL career. Where do we set the cutoff and start accepting that a player's performance as of recent is a better reflection of what we should expect? Since Dak entered the league:

Dalton: 61.6% completion, 13,697 yards, 80 TDs, 45 INTs, 139 sacks, 455 yards rushing, 8 rushing TDs
Prescott: 66.0% completion, 17,634 yards, 106 TDs, 40 INTs, 146 sacks, 1,314 yards rushing, 24 TDs​

Is the disparity not clear? Based on TDs alone, that's like a FG per game in point output.

Yes, and no. I don't think either are good enough - in general - but I do think Dak can be good enough given reasonable circumstances. Sort of a Brad Johnson versus Flacco/Eli Manning situation. Tampa doesn't win the SB without the best defense on the planet. Eli and Flacco won with lesser defenses because they stepped up and made plays in crunch time. Dalton is Brad Johnson. Dak is Eli/Flacco. Dalton will not win without the greatest amount of help, but Dak can win if he gets just a modest amount of help.

I know its like use GOOGLE before you say things that can be GOOGLED...I am in awe of how many just throw out something that can be looked up

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score

I guess some people are going to give Dalton the benefit of the doubt by saying that he was on a bad Bengals team. Even though they hold Dak to the standard of having to prove that he can consistently win and go to the playoffs with a lesser talented roster.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I guess some people are going to give Dalton the benefit of the doubt by saying that he was on a bad Bengals team. Even though they hold Dak to the standard of having to prove that he can consistently win and go to the playoffs with a lesser talented roster.

he had a good bengals team thats why they went to the playoffs alot....that Defence was really good

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is the main way I see Dalton's performance affecting Dak. If the team is so bad that they are in play for a top qb then they could elect to move on from Dak. Even then, they would franchise Dak to trade him or give the rookie qb a redshirt season.

Yes, that's possible. We could end up with a top 5 draft pick either via a bad record like the one in 2015 or we could trade up for it. Dak could see that sticking around means competing for the starting position against a talented and younger rookie, and he could just decide that there are greener pastures elsewhere.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

Ironically, Prescott has to root against Dallas for his future in Dallas.

How many other fictional stories have you written besides this one. Prescott starting to own NFL records as a rookie and starting at the end of last season and moving into this season continued to set new NFL records The Cowboys aren't going to let their NFL record making QB go under any circumstances. The Cowboys win the NFC East. when at 1/4 the way through the season the Cowboys lead with all of 2 wins, just a half game ahead of a 1 win team. By far the weakest division in the league and you think if it turns out that the Cowboys with Dalton win the division with a losing record and loses in the wildcard game that the Cowboys will give Dalton better than SIX TIMES what he's making now to be in reality AGAIN the BACKUP QB but you think he'll be the starter AND on top of that you say they let Prescott walk. Rod Serling couldn't write a better story, but wait scenario 3 and 4 are even better fiction and now Serling is turning over in his grave because he sees this unknown writing better fiction than he ever did. Do you any fiction not sports related or do you just stick to sports?

Swagger

Reaction score
How many other fictional stories have you written besides this one. Prescott starting to own NFL records as a rookie and starting at the end of last season and moving into this season continued to set new NFL records The Cowboys aren't going to let their NFL record making QB go under any circumstances. The Cowboys win the NFC East. when at 1/4 the way through the season the Cowboys lead with all of 2 wins, just a half game ahead of a 1 win team. By far the weakest division in the league and you think if it turns out that the Cowboys with Dalton win the division with a losing record and loses in the wildcard game that the Cowboys will give Dalton better than SIX TIMES what he's making now to be in reality AGAIN the BACKUP QB but you think he'll be the starter AND on top of that you say they let Prescott walk. Rod Serling couldn't write a better story, but wait scenario 3 and 4 are even better fiction and now Serling is turning over in his grave because he sees this unknown writing better fiction than he ever did. Do you any fiction not sports related or do you just stick to sports?
"Rod Serling couldn't write a better story"
:lmao::laugh::lmao2:
Fair play!

I'm waiting for you to dig me out next!

cowboyec

Reaction score
there is no indication this is/was a career ending injury.
Dak barring a unforseen set back is our franchise QB and will start '21...day 1.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Lol. Dak's the franchise quarterback for years to come. Hypothetically speaking, should Dalton take this team to the promised land, he'll just be another Foles.
If he takes this dumpster fire defense to the SB, I will crown him the GOAT.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Yes, that's possible. We could end up with a top 5 draft pick either via a bad record like the one in 2015 or we could trade up for it. Dak could see that sticking around means competing for the starting position against a talented and younger rookie, and he could just decide that there are greener pastures elsewhere.

Dak isn't going to have much of a choice. He's going to get tagged again. The Cowboys aren't gonna let him walk for nothing when they can get something for him in a trade.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What teams are trading a first rd pick for Dak? At least 3 are probably going to get a QB in the first with that pick so what teams are left that would realistically do this?
Dak is a top 8 quarterback. The Bears, The 49ers, The Football Team, Colts and others would love to have Dak. You never let your franchise go for free.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Romo was tossed to the curb by this FO what makes you think they won’t do the same to Dak if Dalton ends up leading the team to a division title while playing well? Why would you want to pay Dak a ridiculous contract that will hamper the team’s ability to improve other areas if you don’t have to?

Those who assume Dak will be back next year are fooling themselves. This is a business and signing Dak to 40/per would be a bad business decision.

It's funny that people that ripped on Romo are now trying to use Romo to rip on Prescott. Here's the HUGE difference Romo was released after a 14 year career in which he hadn't played all 16 games the last 5 seasons because of injuries and only 4 in his second from his last season and only 1 his last season. In fact as good as Romo was he only started all 16 games in only 4 seasons of his 14 year career. Romo set many Cowboys records but how many NFL records did he set? Prescott is just going into his prime and not a single person with first hand knowledge of Prescott's injury has even hinted that he won't be ready for the 2021 season. Those that don't want to see Prescott get either tagged or a long term contract haven't come to grips that the salary of QB's go up every year, faster than any other position and yes QB's who were signed in previous seasons that many say are much better than Prescott did just that. They signed when the salary for QB's was lower yet some still think that is some legit comparison. Not every team or very many teams are able to resign all the players they want to yet some here think that's the big reason not to pay Prescott.

12+88=7

Reaction score

They're hypothetical situations, not reality, yes fiction.

It was an exercise on what I believed the team would do under each hypothetical situation.

What's so hard to understand? Everyone else understood.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They're hypothetical situations, not reality, yes fiction.

It was an exercise on what I believed the team would do under each hypothetical situation.

What's so hard to understand? Everyone else understood.

So if I wrote that in all the remaining Cowboys games a mysterious fog settles over the other teams before the games start and from that time on they ran like they were in quicksand. That's fictional and as good of a chance of happening as your fiction. Because others didn't call it fiction by no means that others don't think it is so be careful with that everyone else.

zerofill

Reaction score
Stop thinking as a fan and think like a team. It's business.

Exactly... one of the reasons our Defense is as poor as it is right now. The FO thinking like a fan, or how many eyeballs a popular player can put on the team, win or lose.