Dan Campbell: Sacks aren't that big a deal if you are getting pressure

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yes, sacks are important but I'm not sure some fans appreciate the impact of pressures ( Parsons is among the leaders in each of his first 3 years)

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...nt-that-big-a-deal-if-youre-getting-pressures

Dan Campbell: Sacks aren’t that big a deal if you’re getting pressures​

Published June 3, 2024 06:57 AM
With 41 sacks, the Lions ranked 23rd in the league last season. That number came despite the third-most pressures and the fourth-best rate of creating pressure in the entire league, which is something that head coach Dan Campbell emphasized while discussing his team’s pass rush last week. Campbell said he “absolutely” wants sacks, but that they “aren’t that big of a deal” if the pressure the defense creates has an impact on opposing offenses.

“We watched a couple clips this morning in front of the team,” Campbell said, via SI.com. “Quarterback is wanting to step up. He can’t step up, the throw is high. He’s flipping to his right, and he can’t get his hips around. Throw a pick. These things that end up in negative plays as incomplete, as turnovers, whatever, I’ll take those all day long.”

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-mos...2 total pressures are,track for a career-high.

Ranking the NFL's 10 most valuable edge defenders of the 2023 season​

1. NICK BOSA, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Wins above replacement: 0.77

Bosa’s 82 total pressures are tied with Micah Parsons for the most in the NFL through 14 weeks. The 49ers star leads all NFL defenders with 32 combined sacks and hits, and his 93.1 PFF grade is on track for a career-high.

2. MICAH PARSONS, DALLAS COWBOYS

Wins above replacement: 0.73

Tied with Bosa for the NFL lead in total pressures, Parsons also trails only Myles Garrett in pass-rush grade (93.4). He has missed just 8.8% of the tackles he has attempted this season.

3. MYLES GARRETT, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Wins above replacement: 0.68

Garrett's 94.3 pass-rush grade ranks first at the position through 14 weeks. That would be a career-high for the Browns star, who has racked up 58 total pressures, including 25 combined sacks and hits

John813

Reaction score
I agree. Pressures can result in an INT, bad throw/loss of downs.
Similar to Osa, who had 44 pressures last year, it's not a bad result to get a pressure over a sack, however, it would be nice to see some type of consistency from guys like Parsons and Osa to get sacks in all 4 "quarters" of the season.
Seems like as the year winds down, our 3 tech and edge were becoming a step slower which resulted in a pressure rather than a sack.
Postseason comes around and they aren't the same impact player.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
1 tackle against Green Bay.

1 sack and 8 tackles total in 4 playoff games. That 1 sack and 4 of the tackles came against a team with a losing record.

So, 0 sacks and 4 tackles in 3 playoff games against teams with a winning record.

Back up the Brinks truck for this man.

Proof

Reaction score

1 sack and 8 tackles total in 4 playoff games. That 1 sack and 4 of the tackles came against a team with a losing record.

So, 0 sacks and 4 tackles in 3 playoff games against teams with a winning record.

i’m a big micah fan and gave hand waved a lot, but there’s just really no overlooking this stat/fact. i’m of the belief he got concussed in the first sf matchup, and was a tone setter in the second despite the box score, but gb game really cut the legs out from under any excuses or defense.

the performance and gaudy numbers gave got to translate to the post season, against winning teams, and become consistent throughout the year for any of it to matter. especially considering his polarizing personality and antics

jwitten82

Reaction score
Pressures is a subjective, I have no doubt Parsons is high on the list, but he might not be number one on everyone's. Parsons is a damn good player, I think people thought he would step up in the leadership role.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

This is silly.......so ignore 51 regular-season games.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Pressures is a subjective, I have no doubt Parsons is high on the list, but he might not be number one on everyone's. Parsons is a damn good player, I think people thought he would step up in the leadership role.
Question......would you trade today coz a lack of leadership?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With 41 sacks, the Lions ranked 23rd in the league last season. That number came despite the third-most pressures and the fourth-best rate of creating pressure in the entire league, which is something that head coach Dan Campbell emphasized while discussing his team’s pass rush last week. Campbell said he “absolutely” wants sacks, but that they “aren’t that big of a deal” if the pressure the defense creates has an impact on opposing offenses.
If the impact is the QB throwing the ball away or scrambling back to the line or short gain, give me the sack and possible forced fumble.

I guarantee you if those numbers were flipped and the Lions were 4th in the league in sacks he wouldn't be saying that.

Football is an emotion and momentum game. Sacks can change those in a heartbeat. QB pressures don't.

Flamma

Reaction score
The best pressure is pressure up the middle from DTs. They don't need sacks, just stop the QB from stepping up into the pocket. That's way more effective than pressure from the DEs. QBs just step up and throw it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
When’s the parade for that?
BTW....you left off his pressures for playoffs......but these are childish games you play for attention

Micah Parsons had 41 pressures in 8 games vs playoff ...​

Reddit · r/cowboys
80+ comments · 4 months ago

Micah Parsons had 41 pressures in 8 games vs playoff teams this year with the closest Cowboy behind him at a whopping 17 ... Our d-line really ...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

kskboys

Reaction score
Know what cracks me up? Notice how in the first article it talks about not allowing QBs to step up. Which I agree w/, BTW. And then from there it goes to edge rushers.

Not being able to step up in the pocket goes to your interior guys, your DT's, not your edge rushers. Edge rushers can be taken out of the game if your DT's don't collapse the pocket.

How Jerry does not comprehend this is beyond mind boggling.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
i’m a big micah fan and gave hand waved a lot, but there’s just really no overlooking this stat/fact. i’m of the belief he got concussed in the first sf matchup, and was a tone setter in the second despite the box score, but gb game really cut the legs out from under any excuses or defense.

the performance and gaudy numbers gave got to translate to the post season, against winning teams, and become consistent throughout the year for any of it to matter. especially considering his polarizing personality and antics
One playoff performance shouldn’t define Micah.

Myles Garrett had 2 tackles and no sacks…..in the playoffs. It happens.