Dan Campbell: Sacks aren't that big a deal if you are getting pressure

gtb1943

Reaction score
The best pressure is pressure up the middle from DTs. They don't need sacks, just stop the QB from stepping up into the pocket. That's way more effective than pressure from the DEs. QBs just step up and throw it.
You ask any QB what kind of pressure worries him most and they will all say up the middle

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Agree with Campbell 100%. Sacks are great and you absolutely want them for the yardage benefits, however we do tend to over glorify them as fans. I'd argue pressure rates are more important than sacks though. The issue is pressure rates are harder to define and quantify.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed. I’m not shy to speak about my issues with Micah but the guy is the most talented pass rusher in football and I’m not even sure that’s up for debate.
I don’t understand it either. I’m all for wanting him to play better but he is our defense. He makes everything go. The disrespect is odd.

Proof

Reaction score
One playoff performance shouldn’t define Micah.

Myles Garrett had 2 tackles and no sacks…..in the playoffs. It happens.
yeah, my point was that it wasn't one. it's been 4. 1 of which was impactful. i was withholding judgement and defending, but the gb game was damning.

conner01

Reaction score
If the impact is the QB throwing the ball away or scrambling back to the line or short gain, give me the sack and possible forced fumble.

I guarantee you if those numbers were flipped and the Lions were 4th in the league in sacks he wouldn't be saying that.

Football is an emotion and momentum game. Sacks can change those in a heartbeat. QB pressures don't.
Sacks are always better but pressures and hits can be very impactful. A rushed throw on 3rd down leads to a punt just like a sack would just not as good of field position. Sacks are the main goal but any diruptuin helps

Proof

Reaction score
I don’t understand it either. I’m all for wanting him to play better but he is our defense. He makes everything go. The disrespect is odd.
he's one of the top 3 defensive players in the league, and our best player. and his late season / playoff struggles should be noted. it's not disrespect, it's just calling a spade a spade. personally i think he'll get the monkey off his back, but it's a glaring disparity.

Eanwen

Reaction score
Charles Haley had 6 sacks his first season with the Cowboys, and then 4 the next season.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Know what cracks me up? Notice how in the first article it talks about not allowing QBs to step up. Which I agree w/, BTW. And then from there it goes to edge rushers.

Not being able to step up in the pocket goes to your interior guys, your DT's, not your edge rushers. Edge rushers can be taken out of the game if your DT's don't collapse the pocket.

How Jerry does not comprehend this is beyond mind boggling.
They drafted Mazi. He may bust but first round selections are an indication of relative importance to a franchise.

Drafted Osa too for that matter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
he's one of the top 3 defensive players in the league, and our best player. and his late season / playoff struggles should be noted. it's not disrespect, it's just calling a spade a spade. personally i think he'll get the monkey off his back, but it's a glaring disparity.
It’s a bit insane it’s bad when’s guy is at a basketball game and getting criticized for what he does in his personal life.