Dan Campbell: Sacks aren't that big a deal if you are getting pressure

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Dan Campbells b.s. sure didn't hold when it came to Almost Anthony Spencer. Funny how pressures then didn't translate into anything good. Opposing QB rating actually when up when we got pressure in those days not long ago.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It’s a bit insane it’s bad when’s guy is at a basketball game and getting criticized for what he does in his personal life.
Sure, just go ahead and ignore the attitude and lack of leadership problems that Micah has already displayed.

Go ahead and ignore that his media brand is more important than OTA's and showing leadership.

Go ahead and ignore that he disappears even more than our last two QBs when the stakes are the highest in the playoffs.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Sacks are correlated with QB decision making moreso than defensive play or even offensive line play. To put it another way, QBs control how many sacks they take, and the defense has little say. Tom Brady would throw the ball away as soon as a defender sniffed him. Joe Burrow will roll towards the sideline and just get crunched in order to buy his receiver an extra second.

But every QB, bar none, plays worse under pressure. Some do "less bad", and others do "more bad", but pressures are always money ahead for the defense.

I think Dan Campbell's just speaking the truth, honestly. Sacks don't matter as long as you're getting pressure. The former is sort of just up to your luck of the QB draw.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Lions 23rd in NFL in total sacks ?
No wonder Campbell is trying to cover up for lack of sacks.

Happy content with "Almost Anthony's " ?

Proof

Reaction score
Sure, just go ahead and ignore the attitude and lack of leadership problems that Micah has already displayed.

Go ahead and ignore that his media brand is more important than OTA's and showing leadership.

Go ahead and ignore that he disappears even more than our last two QBs when the stakes are the highest in the playoffs.
you're a bit of negative nancy eh? this is silly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I’m not ignoring anything. At the end of the day is getting to the quarterback? It’s a yes or no question.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pressure from the DTs collapsing the pocket is the best pass defense.

Said the former DT:thumbup:

SackMaster

Reaction score
Well not all QB Pressures are created the same.

Case: In 2004 the Cowboys D pressured McNabb in ~3 seconds of the snap, and then for OVER 10 seconds (clock was 3:09 at the snap, and was at 2:56 when he threw it), only for him to get away and throw a BOMB for a first down.

Leonardo Carson (#91) got good pressure, but didn't finish the play. Then 2 other Cowboys had a chance but McNabb made them look silly too.

That's what killed me about "Almost" Anthony Spencer. Sure, he would pressure the QB, but rarely finished the play, and allowed QBs to get away and make plays with their arm or feet.

Don't completely disagree with Campbell, but I've seen plenty of players that can create QB pressure, as they allow QBs to get away for big plays / losing containment.

Micah is pretty good causing MEANINGFUL pressure, but that is mostly before December/January. We really need to find away to preserve him so he can be an impact player late in the year / in the playoffs.

JMHO

DandyDon52

Reaction score
pressure is as good as sacks, maybe better.
Sacks are way over rated, they are just tackles, and a 1 yd or less sack counts as a "sack" and no one cares at end of year
how many of a guys sacks, were for short yardage, or in garbage time, or in a loss, or against a bkup qb!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
i’m a big micah fan and gave hand waved a lot, but there’s just really no overlooking this stat/fact. i’m of the belief he got concussed in the first sf matchup, and was a tone setter in the second despite the box score, but gb game really cut the legs out from under any excuses or defense.

the performance and gaudy numbers gave got to translate to the post season, against winning teams, and become consistent throughout the year for any of it to matter. especially considering his polarizing personality and antics
Yeah, that first game he wasn't same after the hit to his head. Probably shouldn't have been playing after that.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Not all pressures are created equal. Pressure up the middle is much more disruptive than off the edge,

kskboys

Reaction score
Agreed. I’m not shy to speak about my issues with Micah but the guy is the most talented pass rusher in football and I’m not even sure that’s up for debate.
Myles Garrett. Nick Bosa. And I'm not sure that's up for debate.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Well not all QB Pressures are created the same.

Case: In 2004 the Cowboys D pressured McNabb in ~3 seconds of the snap, and then for OVER 10 seconds (clock was 3:09 at the snap, and was at 2:56 when he threw it), only for him to get away and throw a BOMB for a first down.

Leonardo Carson (#91) got good pressure, but didn't finish the play. Then 2 other Cowboys had a chance but McNabb made them look silly too.

That's what killed me about "Almost" Anthony Spencer. Sure, he would pressure the QB, but rarely finished the play, and allowed QBs to get away and make plays with their arm or feet.

Don't completely disagree with Campbell, but I've seen plenty of players that can create QB pressure, as they allow QBs to get away for big plays / losing containment.

Micah is pretty good causing MEANINGFUL pressure, but that is mostly before December/January. We really need to find away to preserve him so he can be an impact player late in the year / in the playoffs.

JMHO
Defense is a team effort. The DE can get pressure and the CB can blow his coverage... if the quarterback finds the open man, that's a first down.

QBs complete passes under pressure all the time, they just complete less of them than they do from clean pockets. It's one piece of the puzzle.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Myles Garrett. Nick Bosa. And I'm not sure that's up for debate.
Those guys are close, and if we are talking about complete players I'll take those two over Micah all day. As far as a pure pass rusher goes though I'm still taking Micah. Almost every advanced metrics site has him beating both those guys in terms of pressure rates, win rates, double team rates, pressure rates < 2 seconds, etc.

kskboys

Reaction score
Those guys are close, and if we are talking about complete players I'll take those two over Micah all day. As far as a pure pass rusher goes though I'm still taking Micah. Almost every advanced metrics site has him beating both those guys in terms of pressure rates, win rates, double team rates, pressure rates < 2 seconds, etc.
If you watch them play, Micah's not there yet.