Dan Orlovsky’s take on Kellen Moore

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
This taken from a well-respected member of another forum. These are shared tidbits that many in here never get to read. Figured I’d share, and hope that I haven’t offended said contributor.

How different will the Cowboys offense be this season with Kellen Moore as compared to last season?

"It's getting a full makeover. It's like when the moms get a makeover on that television show and they don't look like the same person. That's what it's going to look like to fans.

"I've said this. If you're asking has Dak Prescott been a good quarterback for the Cowboys ... he has. People might argue he's been great, but no one can really say he's been bad. No one can really say he's just been average. He's been a good player. But he's been a good player with a little bit of skill help. There hasn't been great skill people around him. (he was playing in) A really a subpar offensive system ... creativity wise ... manipulation wise. And also, the utilization of what Dak does really well and what he is.

"And so, now you got Kellen Moore ... and the reasons I like Kellen is ... one ... because he's an incredibly outside the box thinker. Kellen is not going to be the cookie-cutter thinker that some coaches are in the NFL. He's a guy that's going to be more Sean Payton, more Andy Reid, more Matt Nagy, more Sean McVay. Outside of the box thinking. Like why can't we do that? Not just, 'oh, we're going to do this because that's the way it's been done for 30 years now in the NFL.' So, I like the fact that he's going to be willing to try different things.

"Two, and I've said this, Kellen's not that far removed from college football. Like, he was part of the birth of some unique football in college when it comes to Boise State and what they did. That's where he trained and he has all that. He's only 7 or 8 years removed from it.

"And the third thing is his brother coaches in college football, so he's been directly tied to college football because of his family and because of what's been going on there. And so, I just see because of what he learned in college and what he learned in the NFL ... learning some of Sean Payton's offense, and just with the creative mind that he has, you're going to see this offense be totally different than what they've seen certainly under Scott Linehan and Dak over the last couple years."

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
This taken from a well-respected member of another forum. These are shared tidbits that many in here never get to read. Figured I’d share, and hope that I haven’t offended said contributor.

How different will the Cowboys offense be this season with Kellen Moore as compared to last season?

"It's getting a full makeover. It's like when the moms get a makeover on that television show and they don't look like the same person. That's what it's going to look like to fans.

"I've said this. If you're asking has Dak Prescott been a good quarterback for the Cowboys ... he has. People might argue he's been great, but no one can really say he's been bad. No one can really say he's just been average. He's been a good player. But he's been a good player with a little bit of skill help. There hasn't been great skill people around him. (he was playing in) A really a subpar offensive system ... creativity wise ... manipulation wise. And also, the utilization of what Dak does really well and what he is.

"And so, now you got Kellen Moore ... and the reasons I like Kellen is ... one ... because he's an incredibly outside the box thinker. Kellen is not going to be the cookie-cutter thinker that some coaches are in the NFL. He's a guy that's going to be more Sean Payton, more Andy Reid, more Matt Nagy, more Sean McVay. Outside of the box thinking. Like why can't we do that? Not just, 'oh, we're going to do this because that's the way it's been done for 30 years now in the NFL.' So, I like the fact that he's going to be willing to try different things.

"Two, and I've said this, Kellen's not that far removed from college football. Like, he was part of the birth of some unique football in college when it comes to Boise State and what they did. That's where he trained and he has all that. He's only 7 or 8 years removed from it.

"And the third thing is his brother coaches in college football, so he's been directly tied to college football because of his family and because of what's been going on there. And so, I just see because of what he learned in college and what he learned in the NFL ... learning some of Sean Payton's offense, and just with the creative mind that he has, you're going to see this offense be totally different than what they've seen certainly under Scott Linehan and Dak over the last couple years."
Nice write up.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Already posted days ago, my friend.

And I still don't know why a guy who shared a locker room with KM qualifies as someone we should pay any attention to.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
It’s great to hear all this positivity. I’m excited but this offense can be something special.

Haimerej

Reaction score
This the guy who rolled out the back of the endzone?

Edit- Yep.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yes, but Dak is fully developed and he cant throw. Just ask the haters. He has to have all pros at every position in order to be average.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not with Zeke in the backfield. We're not going bombs away with Zeke.

See, that really is the EXACT opposite of what it should be like. The fact that you have Zeke and the threat of the run power run game, you should be able to do lots of play action deep stuff off of that.

ONLY in a Garrett dumbed down offense does a great run game mean you don't throw deep.

Think the Commanders and the hogs with the posy. They ran a power run game and then play action bombs all game long.

Not saying it will be like that, but that is the potential of a power run game and the deep ball.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

And I still don't know why a guy who shared a locker room with KM qualifies as someone we should pay any attention to.
The original interview posted was with Mina Kimes, this one is with Ben & Skin.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Then, I'd ask if he said anything different this time from the last time.... except.... I still don't know why any of us should care about the first time.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

It's still a nice write up. Who cares if it was posted whenever you said it was. We pay attention because we want to. You dont have to.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Just as long as he doesn't think like Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier or other coaches who thought they could change the pro game.

I don't think Garrett would allow that to happen, though, even if Moore wanted to go college crazy. Moore is going to have to work within Garrett's system, which could be a detriment to what he wants to do unless Garrett allows him enough reign to actually accomplish something.

This won't be the Boise offense. And it won't be whatever offense Moore would run without restrictions. I think the best that we can hope for is Moore is allowed enough control to keep it from being the Garrett-esque offense that Linehan was handicapped with.