Dan Quinn don’t bring that garbage run defense back

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can only coach the guys you have. This post needs to be directed to the GM. Another swing and miss posting on the Zone.

PS. Reading the zone daily is like watching the news. Everybody hates everybody most of the time.
Yeah and a lot of poorly informed people throwing out illogical opinions on both sides

Kalyan

Reaction score
Our Def is not the reason we lost the WC game, they didn't win the game like late season against below average teams, but if our offense could sustain some drives and let the Def breathe a little, they would have a played a little better. But we will face offenses like KC and Bills in playoffs and we need both offense and defense to pull their weight

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I’m glad Quinn is back in the building but he better come back with solutions to stopping the run via draft & FA. If he fails to improve the run defense he should be fired and never get an opportunity for H.C.

Need true run stopping DTs like Vita Vea.

You can’t coach up small guys to be great against the run. Lawrence is amazing against the run and he’s only 266. If we had a monster d t, d law could drop weight and get quicker.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
You can’t coach up small guys to be great against the run. Lawrence is amazing against the run and he’s only 266. If we had a monster d t, d law could drop weight and get quicker.

No he needs to stay there and we need to grab a stud DT/NT in draft or FA to create a 4 man front that can stop the run and pass rush. This allows you to drop 7 in coverage!

Blackrain

Reaction score
OSA, Gallimore, and Hill are all top 100 picks? They haven't used a first, but are you saying you would redo last years draft and skip Parsons to take a DT?
Your cherry picking the best defensive player we've taken since Ware.

I would redo the years we drafted Claiborne, Byron Jones, Taco Charlton, LVE, and CD Lamb
If we want to go back a little further Bobby Carpenter Anthony Spencer Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins I could do without all of them give me a dominant defensive tackle

Zman5

Reaction score
Even though our run defense was not great, it made big strides from 2020. At least we didn't give up 300 rushing yards or had multiple teams go over 200 rushing yards like we did in 2020. Statistically we were average run defense ranked 16th. The most we gave up was to Denver where they ran for 190 yards.
And our best run defender and the starting DT didn't play most of the season.

Rome wasn't built in one day. I'm pretty sure making the run defense better is Quinn's top priority. Especially considering how the season ended vs the Niners.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Your cherry picking the best defensive player we've taken since Ware.

I would redo the years we drafted Claiborne, Byron Jones, Taco Charlton, LVE, and CD Lamb
If we want to go back a little further Bobby Carpenter Anthony Spencer Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins I could do without all of them give me a dominant defensive tackle
No, i'm not cherry picking at all. We have had one draft with Dan Quinn, and the first round pick there was Parsons. Outside of Dan Quinns influence i literally picked the most recent attempts at acquiring DT, and cited the top 100 picks used. If anything you are the one cherry picking previous draft busts and you're going back over a decade to do so.

The fact that we have an entire post calling Dan Quinn out on the current state of the run defense is ridiculous. The guy had one of the best one year turnarounds for a defensive unit of all time.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We’re not physical enough upfront we need a big run stuffer at DT.

Big D

Reaction score
As long as his defense continues to create turnovers and get off the field on third down at a high rate I’m good. The problem with this year’s team, for the first time in many years, wasn’t the defense.
BS. In the playoffs from the first play of the first drive the tone was set. Offense hadn't even taken the field yet.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We DO need to improve the rushing Defense.
However to be fair to Quinn it has only been one year here with one draft.

Also as much as we were gashed, it was improved upon prior to that past year.

2020 Cowboys were 31st only the Texans gave up more rushing yards.
2021 the Cowboys were 16th against the rushing yards

IF they can hit on a few picks in the draft it can make a difference. However they don't have the same top end draft picks this coming draft.

Batman1980

Reaction score
We DO need to improve the rushing Defense.
However to be fair to Quinn it has only been one year here with one draft.

Also as much as we were gashed, it was improved upon prior to that past year.

2020 Cowboys were 31st only the Texans gave up more rushing yards.
2021 the Cowboys were 16th against the rushing yards

IF they can hit on a few picks in the draft it can make a difference. However they don't have the same top end draft picks this coming draft.

To be fair to Quinn, if he's the amahzing defensive coordinator so many fans think he is, he will help the defense take the next step.

Blackrain

Reaction score
No, i'm not cherry picking at all. We have had one draft with Dan Quinn, and the first round pick there was Parsons. Outside of Dan Quinns influence i literally picked the most recent attempts at acquiring DT, and cited the top 100 picks used. If anything you are the one cherry picking previous draft busts and you're going back over a decade to do so.

The fact that we have an entire post calling Dan Quinn out on the current state of the run defense is ridiculous. The guy had one of the best one year turnarounds for a defensive unit of all time.

I don't have to pick the cherries I can cut the whole tree down with all the draft busts we've had.
We've had one draft with Dan Quinn but we've had a ton of drafts with other coordinators and not gotten a dominant defensive tackle and I don't care if they were picked in the top 100.

Bottom line is we still have nobody that can stop the run reliably we look like a high school team trying to do it

starfan1

Reaction score
What’s the solution drafting at 24? We need a DT that’s reliable in stopping run and gallimore isn’t it are we trading for it?

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Reasonable argument, however the Cowboys used their next three picks on defensive players.
My issue is your odds of getting a real difference maker player (pro bowl level, even if the pro bowl selection process is a bit of a joke) fall off fairly dramatically after the first round. That's why that pick had to be defense. I wouldn't have even picked a WR considering the assets they had and all the needs they had, but if Jerry couldn't resist I would have picked one in a later round.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
My issue is your odds of getting a real difference maker player (pro bowl level, even if the pro bowl selection process is a bit of a joke) fall off fairly dramatically after the first round. That's why that pick had to be defense. I wouldn't have even picked a WR considering the assets they had and all the needs they had, but if Jerry couldn't resist I would have picked one in a later round.
And on draft night I was right there with you. Fast forward to today though and i'm glad things worked out they way they did. The defensive player they were zeroed in on was K'Lavon Chaisson who has been a massive bust. I'm not sure what other defender went in the 1st we would have taken. There were some LBs that looking to today would have been solid picks, but LB was thought to be more of a strength at the time. Plus had they gone defense round 1 do we end up with Diggs round 2? Who knows, but I have trouble with second guessing that draft today. Which is odd because at the time I didnt love it.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't have to pick the cherries I can cut the whole tree down with all the draft busts we've had.
We've had one draft with Dan Quinn but we've had a ton of drafts with other coordinators and not gotten a dominant defensive tackle and I don't care if they were picked in the top 100.

Bottom line is we still have nobody that can stop the run reliably we look like a high school team trying to do it

1st off lets look at the title of the thread....This was Dak Attack doing his extreme hot take saying that Dan Quinn should be fired if he doesnt bring in a big time DT. There is so much wrong with that I dont even know where to begin.

2nd I would love to have a fletcher cox or vita via in the middle of our defense. How are you realistically going to do it though? Will there be a stud DT sitting there at pick #24? Maybe...Jordan Davis you may end up having to trade all the way up into the top 10. Travon Walker is 275lbs and may profile as more of an edge player at the next level. Demarvin Leal is an interested name. I think he may be another we need to trade up for though. Also probably more of an attacking 3T which is what we already have in guys like OSA & Gallimore. We could look at the FA market, but the cap situation isnt great.

This team has a ton of holes entering the year. Need help at OG, possibly C & T as well. Need to find an off ball LB (Maybe Cox can fill that role?), safety help, figure out what you do with Gregory, and need to find at least one WR with two walking in FA. In addition do we look at options at Running Back?

Not saying we couldnt use a big run stuffing DT, but instead of just complaining about it, whats the solution? Jerry isnt going to trade for Vita Vea. In todays NFL this is not an easy position to fill despite what people think. We are tight against the cap, and most seem to think aside from a couple guys at the top of the draft the interior DL is a weak position this year.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Even though our run defense was not great, it made big strides from 2020. At least we didn't give up 300 rushing yards or had multiple teams go over 200 rushing yards like we did in 2020. Statistically we were average run defense ranked 16th. The most we gave up was to Denver where they ran for 190 yards.
And our best run defender and the starting DT didn't play most of the season.

Rome wasn't built in one day. I'm pretty sure making the run defense better is Quinn's top priority. Especially considering how the season ended vs the Niners.

It’s been 26 years how much more time you need. SF has a chance to go back to SB in 3 years