Dan Quinn don’t bring that garbage run defense back

sbark

Reaction score
Your cherry picking the best defensive player we've taken since Ware.

I would redo the years we drafted Claiborne, Byron Jones, Taco Charlton, LVE, and CD Lamb
If we want to go back a little further Bobby Carpenter Anthony Spencer Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins I could do without all of them give me a dominant defensive tackle
Missed on Fletcher cox to take clairborn. Or even b.wagber...
Those hurt

Bullet22

Reaction score
Getting a real MLB, that would give the Boys defense a true 11 players, not 10....

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Van Der Esch (SP) will be here next year book it. Free agency DT. Draft LB. 2nd round OL. Stay the course Build!!!!!People are sooooooo quick to demolish things.
That's a loser's mentality. We've kept the coaches. Let's take the next step in the Build .No player is trash, just some are better than others.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He’s not the answer. We’re going to have to use a premium draft pick.

Would think that Offense needs some love and attention. We appeared to have a decent run Defense with Urban.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Would think that Offense needs some love and attention. We appeared to have a decent run Defense with Urban.

The OL definitely needs more attention. We need at least two or three new starters on the OL but If we’re going to get more physical on defense we need a big nasty DT that can wreck some havoc. A big run stuffer who can push the pocket and help improve our pass rush.

shabazz

Reaction score
We DO need to improve the rushing Defense.
However to be fair to Quinn it has only been one year here with one draft.

Also as much as we were gashed, it was improved upon prior to that past year.

2020 Cowboys were 31st only the Texans gave up more rushing yards.
2021 the Cowboys were 16th against the rushing yards

IF they can hit on a few picks in the draft it can make a difference. However they don't have the same top end draft picks this coming draft.

good points made but have you considered all the quality defensive free agents we will be able to acquire?

conner01

Reaction score
Anyone thinking we are getting a stud DT in FA is seriously fooling themselves
Few hit the market, all are expensive and we are already over the cap
We can create cap space but I don’t see anyway we fill just the roster spots we have to and add a high dollar player

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The OL definitely needs more attention. We need at least two or three new starters on the OL but If we’re going to get more physical on defense we need a big nasty DT that can wreck some havoc. A big run stuffer who can push the pocket and help improve our pass rush.

So you dont want much then, especially with the first pick at 25.

You arent getting the DT your describing at 25 and in any case the O-Line is the must fix unit.

Quite happy with Urban (the run defense figures were good), Osa, Gallimore and even see what we've got in Bohanna (who's the kind of player you're touting).

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m glad Quinn is back in the building but he better come back with solutions to stopping the run via draft & FA. If he fails to improve the run defense he should be fired and never get an opportunity for H.C.

Need true run stopping DTs like Vita Vea.

So it's his fault he doesn't have a Vea type player? Maybe Parsons can play DT? Geez

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So you dont want much then, especially with the first pick at 25.

You arent getting the DT your describing at 25 and in any case the O-Line is the must fix unit.

Quite happy with Urban (the run defense figures were good), Osa, Gallimore and even see what we've got in Bohanna (who's the kind of player you're touting).

You never know what you’re going to get a number 25, the draft is a crapshoot. A lot of great players were drafted around that same pick including Ray Lewis who went 27th overall. We could end up moving up who knows. I haven’t studied the draft so I don’t know how good the DTs are in this draft. Whatever the grades a lot of players turn out either better or worse then they graded out. We may go OL with that pick. We can’t reach for a player to fill a need. Urban is an average player. He’s bounced around the league with a number of teams. He’s going to be 31 he certainly isn’t going to make our DL formidable. Until we come up with an elite player on the DL we’re going to continue being manhandled upfront. Whenever we make it to the playoffs we lose the battle in the trenches.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
So it's his fault he doesn't have a Vea type player? Maybe Parsons can play DT? Geez

No he has input on what type of players to draft knowing the issues that has plagued this team for a decade. Go get a run stopping DT/NT via draft or FA instead of a wannabe Richard Sherman CB in Nashon Wright.

Blackrain

Reaction score
1st off lets look at the title of the thread....This was Dak Attack doing his extreme hot take saying that Dan Quinn should be fired if he doesnt bring in a big time DT. There is so much wrong with that I dont even know where to begin.

2nd I would love to have a fletcher cox or vita via in the middle of our defense. How are you realistically going to do it though? Will there be a stud DT sitting there at pick #24? Maybe...Jordan Davis you may end up having to trade all the way up into the top 10. Travon Walker is 275lbs and may profile as more of an edge player at the next level. Demarvin Leal is an interested name. I think he may be another we need to trade up for though. Also probably more of an attacking 3T which is what we already have in guys like OSA & Gallimore. We could look at the FA market, but the cap situation isnt great.

This team has a ton of holes entering the year. Need help at OG, possibly C & T as well. Need to find an off ball LB (Maybe Cox can fill that role?), safety help, figure out what you do with Gregory, and need to find at least one WR with two walking in FA. In addition do we look at options at Running Back?

Not saying we couldnt use a big run stuffing DT, but instead of just complaining about it, whats the solution? Jerry isnt going to trade for Vita Vea. In todays NFL this is not an easy position to fill despite what people think. We are tight against the cap, and most seem to think aside from a couple guys at the top of the draft the interior DL is a weak position this year.

I can agree we have other holes to fill on the offensive line and at running back but we have needed a run stopping defensive tackle for a real long time.

This year may not be as strong a defensive tackle draft as other years but this should have been attended to a few years ago.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You never know what you’re going to get a number 25, the draft is a crapshoot. A lot of great players were drafted around that same pick including Ray Lewis who went 27th overall. We could end up moving up who knows. I haven’t studied the draft so I don’t know how good the DTs are in this draft. Whatever the grades a lot of players turn out either better or worse then they graded out. We may go OL with that pick. We can’t reach for a player to fill a need. Urban is an average player. He’s bounced around the league with a number of teams. He’s going to be 31 he certainly isn’t going to make our DL formidable. Until we come up with an elite player on the DL we’re going to continue being manhandled upfront. Whenever we make it to the playoffs we lose the battle in the trenches.

If you take the highlighted sentence you answer your own question about a DT......we dont reach...and we certainly don't ignore the glaring issues on the offense.

You still havent answered the issue with Urban....age and journeyman arent issues (they are subjective bias), issues are when they can't perform on the field, exhibit 1 - O-Line even when we had the unit playing. Indeed,he was one of the bedrocks against the run early on).....we werent "manhandled" in early games when Urban was in the line.

I dont mind drafting a DT, if that's the pick, however, we can't afford to ignore the Offense, the offense that is supposed to carry this team.

Batman1980

Reaction score
If you take the highlighted sentence you answer your own question about a DT......we dont reach...and we certainly don't ignore the glaring issues on the offense.

You still havent answered the issue with Urban....age and journeyman arent issues (they are subjective bias), issues are when they can't perform on the field, exhibit 1 - O-Line even when we had the unit playing. Indeed,he was one of the bedrocks against the run early on).....we werent "manhandled" in early games when Urban was in the line.

I dont mind drafting a DT, if that's the pick, however, we can't afford to ignore the Offense, the offense that is supposed to carry this team.

This entire draft needs to be the trenches, OL and DL, period.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to jump the chargers for the Georgia DT but not likely.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

If the strongest position left on the board at 25 is DT we’ll likely go that route. If the strongest position is on the OL we’ll likely go that route. The OL needs the most help but we also need help on the DL. We have to become more physical in the trenches. My opinion of Brent Urban he’s an average player. That’s not to say he’s a bad player but he’s an aging journeyman. I could see our top pick being on the OL or DL or one of those two positions could be addressed with our second pick.