Twitter: Dan Quinn on if Daron Bland will be targeted more

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
in my opinion the bigger problem is staying in man so much and leaving all of those dudes on an island you're counting on the pass rush and turnovers and getting sacks way too much the defense just isn't what it was supposed to be it's been a big let down to me it's the most underachieving part of this team going into the season everybody said this was gonna be the strong part it is not the strong part of the team right now that's the offense and special teams defense is coming up in the rear right now.....
I like man coverage more than zone. In zone, our secondary gets driven down the field too much. In man, they can shut down the pass better as long as our DBs don't get beat. Quinn should have switched Gilmore to cover Metcalf much sooner after Bland was burned twice by Metcalf.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I definitely noticed the adjustment at halftime. I’m not sure why it didn’t happen sooner.
You can’t just knee jerk change your scheme in the first or second quarters until they show they will take advantage. It’s a balancing act, cat and mouse game. I think at half time the offensive and defensive coaches get together and listen to all input and then adjust. Sometimes it’s obvious and easy to decide to make an adjustment but that’s not the norm. These coaches are at the NFL level for a reason, minus the carrot top.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
"Better be careful". Great plan!

Uh uh uh. Now i would be afraid.
You say this sarcastically but Bland these past two seasons can say 'better be careful' more emphatically that anyone DB who ever played. Even primetime. Think about that.

Even this game where he got burned crazy, he still picked another out route and gave us a short field. More importantly, it created some doubt in Geno's mind that likely helped us get the two 4th down stops in the 4th.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I like Gilmore. You rarely hear his name and for a DB, that's not a bad thing.
Seattle had a pretty good receiver group from the start. Good adjustment and good rehearsal for the Eagles and SF when it comes.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Seattle had a pretty good receiver group from the start. Good adjustment and good rehearsal for the Eagles and SF when it comes.
Oh you're skipping ahead a little bit they better be ready to play this type of game that we played with Seattle with Miami and Detroit also have that type of offense...

please don't disrespect them along the way because every win is going to count towards even keeping up with the Eagles in the division let alone winning it.

so yeah it's important to beat the Eagles but if you're talking about an offense that can literally light you up you might want to look at the Miami Dolphins coming up first they have that type of receiver set they have that type of quarterback that could throw deep in a minute. I mean if you watched Detroit last week weren't they up 21 nothing in the first quarter, that's how fast they can get things going they have a running back that's like swift and Gibbs they do a lot of the same stuff.... And then you go back to Miami they got that really fast couple of running backs as well I mean they they are going to be tough to hold the score down against so if anything was Seattle data get us ready for those games... Typically the Philadelphia Eagles don't play track meets they're a team that likes to keep the score down they run the football they're methodical yeah they can hit you deep they can come back from deficits but really they're not the track meet type teams those are coming up down the road...

So did Dan Quinn learn anything from the Seattle game, can he get it fixed ,we'll know long before we see San Francisco again...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Oh you're skipping ahead a little bit they better be ready to play this type of game that we played with Seattle with Miami and Detroit also have that type of offense...

please don't disrespect them along the way because every win is going to count towards even keeping up with the Eagles in the division let alone winning it.

so yeah it's important to beat the Eagles but if you're talking about an offense that can literally light you up you might want to look at the Miami Dolphins coming up first they have that type of receiver set they have that type of quarterback that could throw deep in a minute. I mean if you watched Detroit last week weren't they up 21 nothing in the first quarter, that's how fast they can get things going they have a running back that's like swift and Gibbs they do a lot of the same stuff.... And then you go back to Miami they got that really fast couple of running backs as well I mean they they are going to be tough to hold the score down against so if anything was Seattle data get us ready for those games... Typically the Philadelphia Eagles don't play track meets they're a team that likes to keep the score down they run the football they're methodical yeah they can hit you deep they can come back from deficits but really they're not the track meet type teams those are coming up down the road...

So did Dan Quinn learn anything from the Seattle game, can he get it fixed ,we'll know long before we see San Francisco again...
I was applying the last game's adjustment to look forward. Don't sell the immediacy and play this week against the Eagles as being equally important in team progression all along the way. SF will still be a stumbling block in the playoffs, no matter how many of the 5 teams are defeated by the Cowboys.

The Eagles have two top shelf receivers as well...and their backs can catch the ball. Then put a spy on covering Hurts. Make them march the ball down the field in small increments now.

Not stated implications are being called out here. That current and now demonstrated ability to adjust and against a good passing team, is highly relevant all the way forward. Dallas over the Eagles by 10. That will require momentum gained, as will the last 4 to get ready. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse!

CCBoy

Reaction score
You can’t just knee jerk change your scheme in the first or second quarters until they show they will take advantage. It’s a balancing act, cat and mouse game. I think at half time the offensive and defensive coaches get together and listen to all input and then adjust. Sometimes it’s obvious and easy to decide to make an adjustment but that’s not the norm. These coaches are at the NFL level for a reason, minus the carrot top.
Now, the Cowboy coaches get top shelf stats and printouts during games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I was applying the last game's adjustment to look forward. Don't sell the immediacy and play this week against the Eagles as being equally important in team progression all along the way. SF will still be a stumbling block in the playoffs, no matter how many of the 5 teams are defeated by the Cowboys.

The Eagles have two top shelf receivers as well...and their backs can catch the ball. Then put a spy on covering Hurts. Make them march the ball down the field in small increments now.

Not stated implications are being called out here. That current and now demonstrated ability to adjust and against a good passing team, is highly relevant all the way forward. Dallas over the Eagles by 10. That will require momentum gained, as will the last 4 to get ready. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse!
But again I don't think you're weighing in the fact that Detroit and Miami their defense is not that good just like Seattle and they're gonna be in the mindset they might have to score over 30 to win and that's gonna make them aggressive and I think that that will mimic the Seattle game more than the eagle game that's just my opinion yes the Eagles are dangerous but we match up better with them than we do teams that have that much offense like Miami and Detroit...

CCBoy

Reaction score
But again I don't think you're weighing in the fact that Detroit and Miami their defense is not that good just like Seattle and they're gonna be in the mindset they might have to score over 30 to win and that's gonna make them aggressive and I think that that will mimic the Seattle game more than the eagle game that's just my opinion yes the Eagles are dangerous but we match up better with them than we do teams that have that much offense like Miami and Detroit...
Dallas will beat both Miami and Destroit. The Cowboys are better and honed for three defineable years now. Bet me! :thumbup::starspin:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
You say this sarcastically but Bland these past two seasons can say 'better be careful' more emphatically that anyone DB who ever played. Even primetime. Think about that.

Even this game where he got burned crazy, he still picked another out route and gave us a short field. More importantly, it created some doubt in Geno's mind that likely helped us get the two 4th down stops in the 4th.
My post wasnt pointed against Bland. It was that stupid comment by DQ i reacted to. You should expect someone at a leading position to be able to articulate at least one or two intelligent sentences without using empty phrases that get likes from 12 year olds.

Bland has some great accomplishment this season. But to compare him with the greatest player at the position is far streched. But i understand. There days consumers are completely sold on the stats the media throws them to eat. The new opium for the viewer. Switch off your brain and consume.

Bland is a system CB who likes to jump out routes. He is able to because he is playing zone with help over the top. Nothing taken he still has to make the play.
Sanders never was able to make so many INTs because no QB threw to his guy. Heck in his best times QBs didnt even look at the whole side of the field he was on.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
My post wasnt pointed against Bland. It was that stupid comment by DQ i reacted to. You should expect someone at a leading position to be able to articulate at least one or two intelligent sentences without using empty phrases that get likes from 12 year olds.

Bland has some great accomplishment this season. But to compare him with the greatest player at the position is far streched. But i understand. There days consumers are completely sold on the stats the media throws them to eat. The new opium for the viewer. Switch off your brain and consume.

Bland is a system CB who likes to jump out routes. He is able to because he is playing zone with help over the top. Nothing taken he still has to make the play.
Sanders never was able to make so many INTs because no QB threw to his guy. Heck in his best times QBs didnt even look at the whole side of the field he was on
Switch off brain and consume? You sound stupid.

I'm a very discerning observer of the game. So discerning that I gathered the fact that he just set the record for pick sixes in a season.

DQ didn't say he was great or a shutdown. Just that you have to be careful. Which, for whatever reason, you took offense to.

We won a playoff game because the average CB on the other side of Deon had two picks. Bland is nowhere as good as Deon or even Diggs. He's gotten torched the last two games like a fifth round CB. At the same time, if you're a QB going into a game against the Boys and throwing at Bland, 'be careful' is a very apt refrain. Especially on the out routes.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Switch off brain and consume? You sound stupid.

I'm a very discerning observer of the game. So discerning that I gathered the fact that he just set the record for pick sixes in a season.

DQ didn't say he was great or a shutdown. Just that you have to be careful. Which, for whatever reason, you took offense to.

We won a playoff game because the average CB on the other side of Deon had two picks. Bland is nowhere as good as Deon or even Diggs. He's gotten torched the last two games like a fifth round CB. At the same time, if you're a QB going into a game against the Boys and throwing at Bland, 'be careful' is a very apt refrain. Especially on the out routes.
I didnt take any kind of offense. DQ is of no interesst for me. Its just laughable to talk such a crap as a person in a leading position. I expect more from an intelligent person.

And you were the one who put it like he has more rights than Deion to say "better be careful". That is of course wrong. I just wanted to point that out and gave you reasons.

IDK which playoff game you talk about. Maybe you are referring to the SB against the Steelers and meant Larry Brown with his two picks?!
Which btw again is an argument that supports what i said. QBs did not throw to Deions receiver.

silver

Reaction score
I would try another bigger corner on Brown, like maybe Wright or Mukuamu and double him with Hooker and move Bland to the slot on passing downs. I don't like the blue print Metcalf left on how to attack Bland and might be an issue in the future.