Dane Brugler's running back rankings

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It really matters when they start coming off. If there's a run, we may get narrowed down or one or two. I'd rather have our choice of them than be left picking up a leftover ... unless Dallas just doesn't have any value separation among the group. If we have one or two clearly rated ahead of the rest, I'd rather "overdraft" one or try to trade down slightly in the second than take a lesser player. If we don't, I'm OK waiting until our third-round pick.
No idea of Dallas' board but Dane has them rated very close together.
And this OP was using Dane's grades as judge.
So I wanted to add context around his actual top 100 players so it didn't seem like every RB was some massive reach.
It's not. It just that drafts don't often have 32 R1 guys and such.
An R2/R3 guy can be the 50th best player on the board and a really good pick at 51 but look like a bleh pick using that R2/R3 measuring stick.

I am big fans of Jaylen Wright and Braelon Allen. I'd love either in R3.
And I'd start them in our committee.

Wright to me is the prototype RB build. He has just enough shiftiness but can get north and south in a hurry. Not a great receiving option yet but stout enough to block well and could be dangerous in screen game.

Allen is a man child. Massive 20-year-old kid who would be the power component of any committee. 240 pounds and an explosive athlete with 1.5 second 10 yard split, of course a monster in the weight room

I like Brooks a little better than but not a full round.

rambo2

Reaction score
I think that Estime will be a solid player and he will go around pick 100.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No idea of Dallas' board but Dane has them rated very close together.
And this OP was using Dane's grades as judge.
So I wanted to add context around his actual top 100 players so it didn't seem like every RB was some massive reach.
It's not. It just that drafts don't often have 32 R1 guys and such.
An R2/R3 guy can be the 50th best player on the board and a really good pick at 51 but look like a bleh pick using that R2/R3 measuring stick.

I am big fans of Jaylen Wright and Braelon Allen. I'd love either in R3.
And I'd start them in our committee.

Wright to me is the prototype RB build. He has just enough shiftiness but can get north and south in a hurry. Not a great receiving option yet but stout enough to block well and could be dangerous in screen game.

Allen is a man child. Massive 20-year-old kid who would be the power component of any committee. 240 pounds and an explosive athlete with 1.5 second 10 yard split, of course a monster in the weight room

I like Brooks a little better than but not a full round.
Seems to me that Allen had a lot of big holes to run through. Of course, a lot of college backs do, which is why they put up big numbers and then do little in the pros when they have to squeeze or power through cracks. He definitely has power, and will likely make a great short-yardage back, but I don't know if he can work through the congestion.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
I really think we need to come away with 1 of the top 4 rbs.

Jonathan Brooks - Really does look Bijan- esque with his smoothness and balance. Obviously rough to draft a rb coming back from an acl, but hes only turning 21 in July.

Trey Benson - Also has injury history, but has looked good last 2 years. Reminds me of AP-lite with his size and speed. Turning 22 in July.

Blake Corum - MJD clone. Maybe smaller but more shifty? Watching him juke and feign is a thing of beauty. Somewhat lacks that homerun speed? Turns 24 in Nov.

Jaylen Wright - What an athlete. Long speed and quickness in tight spaces. explosive. His college highlights reminded me of Todd Gurley. Just turned 21 in April.

I would be happy with any but am favoring Wright due to his speed, age and lack of a knee injury in college.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Seems to me that Allen had a lot of big holes to run through. Of course, a lot of college backs do, which is why they put up big numbers and then do little in the pros when they have to squeeze or power through cracks. He definitely has power, and will likely make a great short-yardage back, but I don't know if he can work through the congestion.
Yup, that is very fair.
I'd only counter with he averaged 5.0 ypc versus OSU D which is loaded with NFL guys and 4.8 versus Iowa which has a nasty scheme and all-around D.
But ultimately, he has little wiggle. He is a big power back. the kind of guy who would have punished a DQ defense for instance.
Yet may be pretty ineffective versus really stout up the middle teams.

Thats why I really like him for us as a power component of a 2-man backfield if drafted late R3.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yup, that is very fair.
I'd only counter with he averaged 5.0 ypc versus OSU D which is loaded with NFL guys and 4.8 versus Iowa which has a nasty scheme and all-around D.
But ultimately, he has little wiggle. He is a big power back. the kind of guy who would have punished a DQ defense for instance.
Yet may be pretty ineffective versus really stout up the middle teams.

Thats why I really like him for us as a power component of a 2-man backfield if drafted late R3.
If we strengthen the middle of our line, with someone like Powers-Johnson and keeping Tyler at guard, it's possible that a back like Allen or Estime might work out well. Even Benson would fit that well if we can get him to rely more on his power and not overly try to be an elusive back. If we take one of them, I wouldn't mind seeing us grab more of a speed/elusive guy late. Not really sure who that would be, though. I think one of the reasons Brooks is the top back is he has the ability to excel outside and inside. Benson has the speed to do it, too, but not really the elusiveness. Estime and Allen are going to make their living between the tackles.