Dane dropped his top 100 today, some near our top pick

rambo2

Reaction score
Doesn't seem that unpopular.
But I do think it is wrong.

Ferguson had 19 catches last year, Hendershot 11.

Both are keepers on the roster for sure but neither make me believe they will be a plus starter next year.
I'm not reaching for a TE but if a guy falls I am taking them and running to the podium.
Mayer has to be considered at 26. He gives you an unstoppable force in the redzone.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The more I look at WRs, the more I like Josh Downs as my guy to draft for the Cowboys. Great route runner, has nice burst too.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mayer has to be considered at 26. He gives you an unstoppable force in the redzone.
Dallas likes getting the best of position in R1. --this is very smart as idea is to win 1v1 and create mismatches.

I don't think they'd take a TE top 15 (or RB) but I do think both are well in play by 26.
Fans are in love with the young TEs but I am not sure either is ready for a full-time role as TE1.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Dallas likes getting the best of position in R1. --this is very smart as idea is to win 1v1 and create mismatches.

I don't think they'd take a TE top 15 (or RB) but I do think both are well in play by 26.
Fans are in love with the young TEs but I am not sure either is ready for a full-time role as TE1.
As ready as any rookie is. I have always thought that RB is the easiest position for a rookie to suceed in the NFL. BUT WR/TE is also a place rookies have shined in the past.
Mayer especially since he comes from a school that has cranked out a lot of NFL TE's; and better yet he is very good as a blocker which is sadly rare in good receiving TEs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Curious to hear your reasons for thinking this. My view is the opposite. From what I’ve heard he’s more of a straight-line speed guy who has limited experience (and perhaps with his stiffness) running a full route tree.
You just described the perfect Bill Walsh WCO WRs.
They are size/speed guys who can run basic route then break tackles or slip them to open up big plays.
They have to be tough enough to run those AJ Brown slants.
They need speed to break bigger plays a la Terrell Owens, the consummate WCO WR.

The 3 most common WCO routes are a hitch, a slant and a fly. Many plays offer WRs the option to run any of those 3 depending on the defensive formation.

They certainly have to win at line of scrimmage and they need to learn to tweak routes and develop chemistry on those tweaks with a QB but it all starts with being athletic enough to win 1v1.

Now I will say he has been listed at much bigger on many early projections than he is on others.
If he is really just 6' and 180 pounds than he is not as much of a WCO guy as he is just a traditional deep threat.
And he did run A LOT of routes out of the slot in college. not unlike CeeDee but even faster.
If he is 6'1" and 190+ at the combine he enters the WCO conversation.
What's not to debate is his elite speed.
And his performance in 2022 and especially what he did to Alabama when he had over 200 yards receiving.

I've seen pro comps of him to Will Fuller, the former Texans flyer WR and Jameson Williams who obviously missed most of his rookie year.

My gut says if he came back for another year he'd go top 15.
Playing in that Tennessee spread he flat out produced insane numbers and just burned people.

T-RO

Reaction score
You just described the perfect Bill Walsh WCO WRs.
They are size/speed guys who can run basic route then break tackles or slip them to open up big plays.
They have to be tough enough to run those AJ Brown slants.
They need speed to break bigger plays a la Terrell Owens, the consummate WCO WR.

The 3 most common WCO routes are a hitch, a slant and a fly. Many plays offer WRs the option to run any of those 3 depending on the defensive formation.

They certainly have to win at line of scrimmage and they need to learn to tweak routes and develop chemistry on those tweaks with a QB but it all starts with being athletic enough to win 1v1.

Now I will say he has been listed at much bigger on many early projections than he is on others.
If he is really just 6' and 180 pounds than he is not as much of a WCO guy as he is just a traditional deep threat.
And he did run A LOT of routes out of the slot in college. not unlike CeeDee but even faster.
If he is 6'1" and 190+ at the combine he enters the WCO conversation.
What's not to debate is his elite speed.
And his performance in 2022 and especially what he did to Alabama when he had over 200 yards receiving.

I've seen pro comps of him to Will Fuller, the former Texans flyer WR and Jameson Williams who obviously missed most of his rookie year.

My gut says if he came back for another year he'd go top 15.
Playing in that Tennessee spread he flat out produced insane numbers and just burned people.
I’ve seen him listed at 180 lbs. Looks like a bean pole.

I saw this summary of him:
“Hyatt is an elite vertical threat who offers some upside on schemed touches, but he’s a lean slot receiver who runs a limited route tree in an unconventional offense with an underdeveloped release package.”​
Don’t think he’s a guy who will ever develop good crisp route running. Body type makes it hard to get in and out of his breaks. Certainly the speed is ultra-special and that makes me think someone grabs him in top 25, esp. considering there isn’t a lot of premium WR speed in this draft.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I’ve seen him listed at 180 lbs. Looks like a bean pole.

I saw this summary of him:
“Hyatt is an elite vertical threat who offers some upside on schemed touches, but he’s a lean slot receiver who runs a limited route tree in an unconventional offense with an underdeveloped release package.”​
Don’t think he’s a guy who will ever develop good crisp route running. Body type makes it hard to get in and out of his breaks. Certainly the speed is ultra-special and that makes me think someone grabs him in top 25, esp. considering there isn’t a lot of premium WR speed in this draft.
He really does remind me a lot of CeeDee. Except where CeeDee won with quickness this guy is all speed.
But they both played in spreads and played a lot out of the slot.
Those knocks are fair but you aren't drafting a guy that may run sub 4.3 at pick 26 if he is a proven route runner.

The one knock that does concern me is can he win at LOS.
But it's a gamble you almost always have to take because college offenses don't really ask it.
College CBs aren't playing press on a 4.3 guy. But that can definitely be taught if they bring first step quickness and he does.

What he did to Bama was just nasty, cost them a CFP nod and they have a great coaching staff so I do trust he can be very useful.
And this offense most definitely needs a speed threat.

He has been listed at 6 to 6'2" and 180 to 195.
What he weighs in at the combine will definitely matter.
As will his route running skills.

But I am far less concerned about his route running than other skills as he is the speed threat deep day 1.

He's probably the fastest offensive weapon in this draft.
You send him on corners and flies then teams will stop playing cover 2 against you real quick.
That killed Dallas last year as we had no one with any outside speed.

J12B

Reaction score
22-Hyatt WR
24-Mayer TE
25-Quentin Johnson WR
26-Smith-Njiba WR
27-Mustgrave TE
28-Torrence G
29-Washington TE
30-Kincaid TE
31-Banks CB
32-Ringo CB