Dane dropped his top 100 today, some near our top pick

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I wonder what Jamel Dean will cost/year? PFF guessed at:

Four years, $68 million ($17M per year); $47.5 million total guaranteed

Rock Ya-Sin is a physical, bully type corner. He’s not a #1 but I think he could be a very solid CB2. I love the attitude and physicality that he plays with. I don’t think he would break the bank… but he wouldn’t be a cheap signing either. If Dallas decided to go for a mid range option, he could be done. And he is only 26 years old, which is good because Dallas doesn’t like to pay age. He’s someone that could grow with the defense.

Someone like Ya-Sin, along with Bland and Lewis, would allow the Cowboys to not take a corner in the top couple of rounds if the draft doesn’t fall that way.
I have heard Diggs has been trying to get Peterson to come to Dallas, that is more likely then signing a top tiered corner, especially with the deep corner class. Peterson probably will cost on that 4-6 range and could serve as a bridge starter. I think if they are going to sign any high level fa, it's going to be at WR.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I wonder what Jamel Dean will cost/year? PFF guessed at:

Four years, $68 million ($17M per year); $47.5 million total guaranteed

Rock Ya-Sin is a physical, bully type corner. He’s not a #1 but I think he could be a very solid CB2. I love the attitude and physicality that he plays with. I don’t think he would break the bank… but he wouldn’t be a cheap signing either. If Dallas decided to go for a mid range option, he could be done. And he is only 26 years old, which is good because Dallas doesn’t like to pay age. He’s someone that could grow with the defense.

Someone like Ya-Sin, along with Bland and Lewis, would allow the Cowboys to not take a corner in the top couple of rounds if the draft doesn’t fall that way.
I’m convinced this team is looking at 1-2 yr deals. If they don’t plan on addressing CB early then maybe Patrick Peterson is an option. Played well last year. This team has become so cheap when it comes to outside players, I’m not real optimistic.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I have heard Diggs has been trying to get Peterson to come to Dallas, that is more likely then signing a top tiered corner, especially with the deep corner class. Peterson probably will cost on that 4-6 range and could serve as a bridge starter. I think if they are going to sign any high level fa, it's going to be at WR.
I’m convinced this team is looking at 1-2 yr deals. If they don’t plan on addressing CB early then maybe Patrick Peterson is an option. Played well last year. This team has become so cheap when it comes to outside players, I’m not real optimistic.

Maybe so. It is certainly possible.

Either way that Dallas goes with these two possible choices, they’re breaking character with what they normally do. Either they’re spending a little more in free agency (mid-tier free agent like Ya-Sin) or they’re paying age (Peterson).

I do get the feeling that they’re going to break a little from what has been the norm… so either of those may be possible. I just have the impression that the front office knows they may have to do a little more to get over the divisional playoff hump. They acted that way at the trade deadline, and I think it might carry over some into this off-season.

For me, I’d rather go the 26 year old Ya-Sin (or someone like him) way with a decent 2 or 3 year contract… but the team might feel differently. Especially since this is such a good CB draft.

Anyway, I’m about ready to find out if they change a little this off-season or if they continue not doing much in free agency. It’ll be interesting.

rambo2

Reaction score
Looks like they will spend more this year.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Looks like they will spend more this year.
Yeah, I get the impression they will spend a little more, though I could be wrong.

I think they’ll still stay out of the first week or so of free agency, for the most part… but I think they might work more towards the mid-tier instead of the Lower-tier free agents. At least at some of the positions.

For instance, I don’t think they would really consider Payne (Washington will likely franchise tag him anyway), but they might consider A’Shawn Robinson or maybe even Tomlinson.

I don’t really have anything concrete to show the team is going to do that though, so we don’t really know.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I am comfortable at tight end, but would consider Mayer and Musgrave at 26. Gibbs is my number 1 target at 26.
Would you take Gibbs over Robinson? I’m all for taking explosive players at any position that can help us win but man I have a hard time wanting to take any back in the first round when you see a late round guy like Pacheco playing in the SB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Are you guys not comfortable with Ferguson and Hendershot at TE? I was thinking we add a vet safety at the position or maybe draft one in later rounds. I’d prefer highest rated prospect on our board in the first. And I’d prefer that player be a WR or CB hopefully.
I’d prefer we add a vet just so we don’t have a bunch of 2nd year players and a rookie trying to figure it out

Maybe someone in the 4/5 mil range.

rambo2

Reaction score
Would you take Gibbs over Robinson? I’m all for taking explosive players at any position that can help us win but man I have a hard time wanting to take any back in the first round when you see a late round guy like Pacheco playing in the SB.
I would take Gibbs at 26. I hope that Robinson is already gone and they take Gibbs. In my opinion the draft is so deep at running back that they should take 2 of them while the getting is good. I'll be pissed if the Eagles get Gibbs at 30. I hope that they are smart enough to cut Zeke and let Pollard walk. I really want them to get 2 talented rookie backs and Receiver Tyler Scott from Cincinnati. If they don't take Gibbs, I would consider Charbonnet or Scott in round 2.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yeah, I get the impression they will spend a little more, though I could be wrong.

I think they’ll still stay out of the first week or so of free agency, for the most part… but I think they might work more towards the mid-tier instead of the Lower-tier free agents. At least at some of the positions.

For instance, I don’t think they would really consider Payne (Washington will likely franchise tag him anyway), but they might consider A’Shawn Robinson or maybe even Tomlinson.

I don’t really have anything concrete to show the team is going to do that though, so we don’t really know.
I bet that they do sign a receiver and a defensive tackle and possibly a corner.

MAZEREZAM

Reaction score
Things will change after the combine, but the consensus is that the top 3 will be long gone and we both agree, if 1 slid, they would be the pick. Question is, who do they like best in that 2nd tier? If they went in another direction at 26, can they afford to wait it out for 58? I feel these corners are going to fly off the board.
I think we could still get someone like Garrett Williams or Julius Brent’s in the 3rd. The draft is deep at CB. We don’t have to take one in the first 2 rounds.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think we could still get someone like Garrett Williams or Julius Brent’s in the 3rd. The draft is deep at CB. We don’t have to take one in the first 2 rounds.
It will depend on how they address the need in fa, they may be looking for a day 1 starter at the position or might just be looking for better depth. Do they see Bland as a better slot corner or better on the outside?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m a little confused by the rating of guards in this draft. Torrance decision to be slow footed but still graded the top typical of big man. Still Id take him
He is more of that old schooled phone booth RG prospect. Will get push in the run game, strong anchor, but will struggle with speed/quickness, won't be a player who will excel in space or hit moving targets. Really depends on how you want to construct our OL and the scheme.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Both have the size we look for but Williams is a much better fit. All depends on what this team is looking for. If they feel they have to get a starter they will probably at the very least need to move up in round 2 to get him. Williams IMO is a more developmental player that could develop into a starter.

reddyuta

Reaction score
how did the 2 guards drafted ahead of Tyler Smith do? beware of big lumbering guards.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Would love Mayer but I don't think he lasts beyond 15-20

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is probably an unpopular opinion but I don't see anyway Dallas takes a TE early in this draft, even if it's Mayer. They have too many other far more glaring needs than TE. Ferg is a really good player and they know it. Hendershot is a keeper and they know it.

As always you draft BPA, at a position of need.
O-line, WR and CB are by far our biggest needs.
I know the general consensus is to not take a OG in Rd1, to which I say; Zack Martin. So give me Torence at 26. He's a beast of a man and by far the best OG in this class. And they need to continue the rebuild up front.
Or give me either the best CB or WR, I can be on board with either of those picks. But only if he's that much better than Torrence. We can't be reaching in rd 1 just because we need a #2 WR/CB badly.
Doesn't seem that unpopular.
But I do think it is wrong.

Ferguson had 19 catches last year, Hendershot 11.

Both are keepers on the roster for sure but neither make me believe they will be a plus starter next year.
I'm not reaching for a TE but if a guy falls I am taking them and running to the podium.