Daniel Bullocks Thoughts?

Letemburn

Reaction score
How his coverage, i didnt get to watch him that much in college? Ive watched him a bit but not too much, coverage was fine in the coupld games i saw. Had a impressive 40 at 4.38 think it was and looked good in drills. What ya think, 2nd round maybe?

Letemburn

Reaction score
yeah question is his coverage? How is it? Also what about Jason Allen? Coverage wise. Both looked awesome at hte combines.

BigWillie

Reaction score
SS, has never played the FS position in college.

He lined up next to his brother Josh for 2 years, then next to Blake Tiedtke his senior year.

However, Daniel is a good cover man. Not spectacular, but solid. You can say that about every aspect in his game really. Their is nothing he is spectacular at, but nothing he is overly bad at either. The only downfall I haven't liked about him in 4 years is his lack of being a presence in the game. Stepping up and making a big hit, even though he has never been known for hitting.

People on these draft sites kept talking about his inability to play man coverage. He shutup critics in the Senior Bowl covering TE's almost that entire game. Where that idea ever got started, I have no clue. He excelled moreso in man coverage than anything. When Nebraska changed DC's and went to a more aggressive scheme (rather than cover 2 defense) he became an All-American last season.

Personally, I love Daniel Bullocks and what he done for UNL. But with our situation at safety, they're much better fits than Daniel.

Still yet, he will be a very solid player for whomever needs a SS.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
Safety | Senior | Nebraska
Daniel BullocksHeight: 6-2 | Weight: 210 | 40-Time: 4.54
Strengths:
Has good size and a solid frame...Very instinctive...Ballhawk with a nose for the interception...Physical and supports the run well...Has a knack for being around the action...Has good mobility and range...Solid tackler...Very productive...Plays the ball in the air well...Team leader and coach on the field...Three year starter.

Weaknesses:
Has only average speed...Is not great in man coverage...Not very agile and does not change directions well...Lacks fluid hips...Doesn't recover well...Is not a big hitter...Probably doesn't have a lot of upside or potential and may be about as good as he will get...Might need to be in the right type of scheme to succeed.

Notes:
Twin brother Josh (who is younger by 1 minute) was a 2nd round pick of the New Orleans Saints in 2005...Player with solid measurables and top intangibles...Isn't quite the prospect his brother was a year ago but could start in the right situation.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
Safety | Senior | Nebraska
Daniel BullocksHeight: 6-2 | Weight: 210 | 40-Time: 4.54
Strengths:
Has good size and a solid frame...Very instinctive...Ballhawk with a nose for the interception...Physical and supports the run well...Has a knack for being around the action...Has good mobility and range...Solid tackler...Very productive...Plays the ball in the air well...Team leader and coach on the field...Three year starter.

Weaknesses:
Has only average speed...Is not great in man coverage...Not very agile and does not change directions well...Lacks fluid hips...Doesn't recover well...Is not a big hitter...Probably doesn't have a lot of upside or potential and may be about as good as he will get...Might need to be in the right type of scheme to succeed.

Notes:
Twin brother Josh (who is younger by 1 minute) was a 2nd round pick of the New Orleans Saints in 2005...Player with solid measurables and top intangibles...Isn't quite the prospect his brother was a year ago but could start in the right situation.

a 4.3 is average speed? this guy would be a great 2nd round pick! I still say we go and sign a veteran FS in free agency then if we pick this guy he can sit for a year and watch how FS is suppose to be played

neosapien23

Reaction score
I hope either Allen or Bullocks are aviable in the third because the Cowboys will probably go linebacker and tackle in the first two rounds.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
the_h0wey said:
a 4.3 is average speed? this guy would be a great 2nd round pick! I still say we go and sign a veteran FS in free agency then if we pick this guy he can sit for a year and watch how FS is suppose to be played
Those notes aren't updated.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BigWillie did a good job of recapping. Bullocks isn't flashy, isn't great at any one thing, and isn't the best athlete. But he's big enough, fast enough, and he's smart. Just like his twin brother, who we wanted last year.

And as has been discussed... He and the rest of these guys didn't magically become amazingly fast in the last few months. Forget the 40 times; Bullocks isn't a blazer and never has been. That said, he is 6-2, 210, and has good instincts. He and Pat Watkins (if you want a higher-potential player) are my choices for our FS.

Pokes28

Reaction score
I don't like him as a player at the next level. He may be a 4.3 guy in shorts, but put pads on him and he's just got average speed. He didn't dominate against crap competition in the Big 12 North.

I'd be happy to see him drafted too early by somebody else.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I hope either Allen or Bullocks are aviable in the third because the Cowboys will probably go linebacker and tackle in the first two rounds.

Yeah I agree, or linebacker and something else that will throw us off guard in the first 2. But I would definately like allen or bullocks or maybe watkins in the 3rd, gotta love the safety depth in the draft this year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Letemburn said:
How his coverage, i didnt get to watch him that much in college? Ive watched him a bit but not too much, coverage was fine in the coupld games i saw. Had a impressive 40 at 4.38 think it was and looked good in drills. What ya think, 2nd round maybe?

in senior bowl workouts, he showed an ability to cover in the deep zone, as well as act like a 4th lB, he's versatile

FYI, he had 5 INTs as a JUnior and played man-to-man

jbsg02

Reaction score
reports from the senior bowl said he picked off pass after pass during practices

nathanlt

Reaction score
That draft report doesn't make sense... How can you be a "ballhawk" but "not great in coverage"

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
That draft report doesn't make sense... How can you be a "ballhawk" but "not great in coverage"

Perhaps he is just like Keith Davis.

We were told he was this ballhawk, but he was deplorable in coverage.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
Alexander said:

Maybe so. That's why I'm hoping we can land Chris Hope and not have to worry about drafting a FS this year.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
the_h0wey said:
Before the combine I guess he was running a 4.54 which would qualify as average speed according to the scouting report.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:

in order to be a ballhawk, you have to know where the play is going, and be in position to make a play on it

Keith Davis struggled with his assignments, that doesn't mean he's not a ballhawk, and any rookie we draft to play FS will have the same problems...it's the nature of youth and inexperience

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Keith Davis struggled with his assignments, that doesn't mean he's not a ballhawk,

Actually, it does. He was not in the correct position to make plays and that is the definition of a ballhawk. If he carried out his assignments properly, he would be in a position to make more plays.

So when rookies come into the league and rank near the top in interceptions, what do you think it is? Luck?