Darren Mcfadden

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dallasfan;1546571 said:
But Barber isn't the home run threat that McFadden is. If McFadden come in and gets Jones carries (267) and avereges 1 more ypc (Jones was 4.1), I'd be upset thinking McFadden could've been 5.5+ypc, if the coaching staff kept him in the game more. And it's not like I'm talking about a Larry Johnson/Eddie George/Jamal Anderson type work load, cause we have the passing game to prevent this.
If you'd prefer to give a back upwards of 350 carries, that's fine I guess -- you're entitled to your own preferences. I just think it's a bad decision.

dallasfan

Reaction score
theogt;1546575 said:
If you'd prefer to give a back upwards of 350 carries, that's fine I guess -- you're entitled to your own preferences. I just think it's a bad decision.

Tomlinson last year had 348 carries to Michael Turner's 80 carries. I'd be happy with Barber getting about 80 or so carries, and McFadden or whoever is our featured back to get about 300. Like I said there are only so many offensive plays to go around, and I'd rather have some one like Mcfadden get more than the 267 carries. 350+ is too much, but 267 is too little.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dallasfan;1546605 said:
Tomlinson last year had 348 carries to Michael Turner's 80 carries. I'd be happy with Barber getting about 80 or so carries, and McFadden or whoever is our featured back to get about 300. Like I said there are only so many offensive plays to go around, and I'd rather have some one like Mcfadden get more than the 267 carries. 350+ is too much, but 267 is too little.
If you're talking about 30 more carries that's like 2 more carries a game. That's an insignificant difference. What I'm talking about is 270 vs. 350+.

Honestly, if our defense wasn't giving up 30+ PPG toward the end of the season, we wouldn't have been forced to throw so much and Julius most likely would have come pretty close to 300 carries. So you can get 300 carries keeping with the 2-back system.

dallasfan

Reaction score
theogt;1546607 said:
If you're talking about 30 more carries that's like 2 more carries a game. That's an insignificant difference. What I'm talking about is 270 vs. 350+.

Honestly, if our defense wasn't giving up 30+ PPG toward the end of the season, we wouldn't have been forced to throw so much and Julius most likely would have come pretty close to 300 carries. So you can get 300 carries keeping with the 2-back system.

I'm not saying get rid of the two back system, just if we had someone better than JJ, I'd rather them get that extra 2 or 3 carries a game, than Barber.

Twyst

Reaction score
I saw something interesting that I hadnt realized. McFAdden was obviously the rushing leader in the SEC. ANy idea who was second? His backup. KInd of makes you wonder if you shouldnt be drafting the arkansas offensive line.....

Pokes28

Reaction score
theogt;1546516 said:
What's your point? Should we not ever draft a fast, strong, and elusive RB who puts up a lot of yards in college? That seems like a sensible argument.

My point is that arguing over a player that has 12 or 13 games left to play for the upcoming season is silly. None of us have a clue about how he's going to do this year. Perhaps the Arkansas line isn't as good or perhaps McFadden doesn't go into the season with the same drive and determination that he did last year. We've seen a lot of guys that were supposed to be first round guys that dropped off the face of the earth.

You also never know who could very well catch fire. Look at a guy like Dantrell Savage from Oklahoma State who is now up to 5'9" and 200 pounds. Due to injury and a shared football (OSU had 4 guys rush for over 500 yards last year), he put up numbers almost as good as McFadden after Savage finally took over the starting job for the final 7 games. In the one common opponent (Alabama who had a very good defense), both guys rushed for 112 yards. McFadden did it on 25 carries and Savage did it on 19. Both are not big guys, both are very fast, and both are much stronger than you would think.

It is one thing to have a view point on a player at this point. It is well another to be locked into that opinion when you have the chance to evaluate over the next few months. I just find it silly to be squawking over the merits of using a top 5 pick on any player when you simply don't know what will happen. This is really not much different than the arguments last off season about trading to move up and take Brady Quinn.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Pokes28;1546756 said:
My point is that arguing over a player that has 12 or 13 games left to play for the upcoming season is silly. None of us have a clue about how he's going to do this year. Perhaps the Arkansas line isn't as good or perhaps McFadden doesn't go into the season with the same drive and determination that he did last year. We've seen a lot of guys that were supposed to be first round guys that dropped off the face of the earth.

You also never know who could very well catch fire. Look at a guy like Dantrell Savage from Oklahoma State who is now up to 5'9" and 200 pounds. Due to injury and a shared football (OSU had 4 guys rush for over 500 yards last year), he put up numbers almost as good as McFadden after Savage finally took over the starting job for the final 7 games. In the one common opponent (Alabama who had a very good defense), both guys rushed for 112 yards. McFadden did it on 25 carries and Savage did it on 19. Both are not big guys, both are very fast, and both are much stronger than you would think.

It is one thing to have a view point on a player at this point. It is well another to be locked into that opinion when you have the chance to evaluate over the next few months. I just find it silly to be squawking over the merits of using a top 5 pick on any player when you simply don't know what will happen. This is really not much different than the arguments last off season about trading to move up and take Brady Quinn.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

I remember telling people then, he wasn't worth it

Now look, we got people talking about how smart we were to trade down and nOT take them. How much does one year mean? a whole hell of alot

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999;1546769 said:
I remember telling people then, he wasn't worth it

Now look, we got people talking about how smart we were to trade down and nOT take them. How much does one year mean? a whole hell of alot

you do know that even despite Quinn slipping, he was still top 8 on our draft board right?

having Romo is the main reason why we decided to bypass selecting Quinn, not because Quinn greatly diminished as a pro prospect

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1546783 said:
you do know that even despite Quinn slipping, he was still top 8 on our draft board right?

having Romo is the main reason why we decided to bypass selecting Quinn, not because Quinn greatly diminished as a pro prospect

Yea he was such a great prospect a team with a QB need passed on him for a girly WR

Benni

Reaction score
dargonking999;1546786 said:
Yea he was such a great prospect a team with a QB need passed on him for a girly WR
that doesn't make Quinn less of pro-prospect IMO. It wasn't Quinns mistake... ;)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Pokes28;1546756 said:
My point is that arguing over a player that has 12 or 13 games left to play for the upcoming season is silly.
Really? I didn't see that point in your post at all.

None of us have a clue about how he's going to do this year. Perhaps the Arkansas line isn't as good or perhaps McFadden doesn't go into the season with the same drive and determination that he did last year. We've seen a lot of guys that were supposed to be first round guys that dropped off the face of the earth.
I agree. It could happen. The world could also end tomorrow. But I don't throw every possible scenario around when I'm talking about likely events.

True, but it'll take quite a season to emerge over McFadden.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh
Dude, it's the off-season. We may be in the market for a RB in '08. He's the best RB in college football at this moment. You do the math.

Reaction score
I do believe that Julius Jones is going to make it hard for the Cowboys to get rid of him. From what I've read lately, especially in this month's edition of the Star, Jones is adament about remaining a Cowboy the rest of his career. He is bound & determined to have a great year-& not so he can go into FA & make a bundle of money. It's so he can stay in Dallas the rest of his playing life.

I really like that about him. Jones is one of the few players I've ever seen who doesn't say, "I want to stay in Dallas, but....". He just says, "I want to stay in Dallas....period". Here's hoping Jones has a remarkable career, and ends all of this McFadden stuff. Personally, I don't like tall RBs. When you look at the 10 greatest running backs of all times, only 2-3 are over 6' tall.

I sincerely believe Jones when he says that Parcells had him all screwed up with his game. He was told to stay with the play called-period. No great back can run like that. Our own Emmitt Smith was the best example of improvisation. He had great vision. As soon as he saw the called play breaking down, he would immediately take the rock to another hole, and gain positive hardage.

When I go back over games such as the Falcons' game last year, it is obvious that Jones is just not his game breaking self. There were times in the game where it was so obvious that he shouldn't stay with the called play & go to the hole, but he tried to stuff it in there anyway.

With Wade Phillips taking over, it seems all of the players are looking forward to this season. They all seem to have breathed a sigh of relief since BP hit the road. No player was more glad to see Parcells go than JJ. If he doesn't hit 1,500+ yds. this year, I will be more than a little surprised.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Cogan;1547163 said:
I do believe that Julius Jones is going to make it hard for the Cowboys to get rid of him. From what I've read lately, especially in this month's edition of the Star, Jones is adament about remaining a Cowboy the rest of his career. He is bound & determined to have a great year-& not so he can go into FA & make a bundle of money. It's so he can stay in Dallas the rest of his playing life.

I really like that about him. Jones is one of the few players I've ever seen who doesn't say, "I want to stay in Dallas, but....". He just says, "I want to stay in Dallas....period". Here's hoping Jones has a remarkable career, and ends all of this McFadden stuff. Personally, I don't like tall RBs. When you look at the 10 greatest running backs of all times, only 2-3 are over 6' tall.

I sincerely believe Jones when he says that Parcells had him all screwed up with his game. He was told to stay with the play called-period. No great back can run like that. Our own Emmitt Smith was the best example of improvisation. He had great vision. As soon as he saw the called play breaking down, he would immediately take the rock to another hole, and gain positive hardage.

When I go back over games such as the Falcons' game last year, it is obvious that Jones is just not his game breaking self. There were times in the game where it was so obvious that he shouldn't stay with the called play & go to the hole, but he tried to stuff it in there anyway.

With Wade Phillips taking over, it seems all of the players are looking forward to this season. They all seem to have breathed a sigh of relief since BP hit the road. No player was more glad to see Parcells go than JJ. If he doesn't hit 1,500+ yds. this year, I will be more than a little surprised.

I couldn't agree with you more. Guys forget that BP was bragging during a press conference a couple of years ago about how he had changed JJ's running style. How he had drilled it into him to run the play as designed and trust his blockers and following them so as not to lose yardage. In the same press conference he commented that he had not been able to get that through to Barber yet.

I'm not saying anything bad about Barber. He was smart not to take BP as literally as JJ did. But it was obvious that Jones was trying to be exactly the running back Parcells wanted him to be. Further, I don't remember Parcells criticizing his running last year either. At least no more than he criticized any other player.

But you watch. If Jones has a better year this year folks will be saying it's because of the upgraded line or he's just playing harder because he's in a contract year. I'm looking forward to seeing the juking, cut back runner he flashed in the 2nd half of his rookie season.

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
This "all he has is speed and he can't run over people" thing seems eerily similar to the talk I heard about Reggie Bush before last season. And the "NFL players are to fast" thing reminds me of what I heard about Vince Young. The NFL draft is a crap shoot at best. I don't know that McFadden is going to be the next Walter Payton but he looks pretty dang good the way he's playing right now in the college ranks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LeonDixson;1547262 said:
I couldn't agree with you more. Guys forget that BP was bragging during a press conference a couple of years ago about how he had changed JJ's running style. How he had drilled it into him to run the play as designed and trust his blockers and following them so as not to lose yardage. In the same press conference he commented that he had not been able to get that through to Barber yet.

I'm not saying anything bad about Barber. He was smart not to take BP as literally as JJ did. But it was obvious that Jones was trying to be exactly the running back Parcells wanted him to be. Further, I don't remember Parcells criticizing his running last year either. At least no more than he criticized any other player.

But you watch. If Jones has a better year this year folks will be saying it's because of the upgraded line or he's just playing harder because he's in a contract year. I'm looking forward to seeing the juking, cut back runner he flashed in the 2nd half of his rookie season.

Dallas has made moves to improve the line and that should help but right now I'm sick of the talk, Jones needs to produce or go he is entering year 4 and he is still trying to prove himself? Sorry good backs show their worth a lot sooner than than.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1547369 said:
Dallas has made moves to improve the line and that should help but right now I'm sick of the talk, Jones needs to produce or go he is entering year 4 and he is still trying to prove himself? Sorry good backs show their worth a lot sooner than than.

We'll just have to see what he does, Dooms. I don't remember Julius doing that much talking until this offseason, except for saying he would like to get the ball more. It's fans like me that have been making the excuses.

If he is the same old runner this year, I'll come over to your side. But if his running style is more like his rookie year, then will you give him his due?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LeonDixson;1547375 said:
We'll just have to see what he does, Dooms. I don't remember Julius doing that much talking until this offseason, except for saying he would like to get the ball more. It's fans like me that have been making the excuses.

If he is the same old runner this year, I'll come over to your side. But if his running style is more like his rookie year, then will you give him his due?

Jones has had his share of comments as well this offseason and to add to it he has chosen to workout in arz instead of being at Valley Ranch and has missed most of the workouts. As for giving him his dues? His job is to produce and if he is doing that then I have no issue with him but heading into year 4 excuse me if I have major doubts about his toughness and his ability to produce on consistent bases. Backs do not take this long to develop and it sure has not taken Barber any time to prove he is more consistent than Jones has ever shown even in his rookie season. People talk about his break away ability? the only problem with that is he seldom breaks runs.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Pokes28;1546756 said:
McFadden doesn't go into the season with the same drive and determination that he did last year.

There's absolutely no way that happens.

Regardless of what anybody else does, McFadden has speed to turn the corner in the SEC, upper body power you can see in any one of his numerous stiff arms, and a humble, low key personality. Whether he's a top 3 pick, a top 10 pick, or a top 20 pick...he is a great college player, beloved by his team and school (and state) and has as much potential as any college running back in recent years.

romoflavor

Reaction score
Your right about that... But let's not forget about the RB @ West Virginia he's extremely fast and explosive, let's wait and see how this season unfolds. They have a 1-2 punch (QB/RB) in WV. That QB could take some pressure off of RB Slaton. Slaton or Mcfadden would not be bad for the "BOY'S"