Darren Sproles

rambo2

Reaction score
Google search. No use beating a dead horse let's just agree that his 40 time is less than official. I will say that the Cowboys have the inside track on his athleticism and were comfortable making the pick. Maybe he'll workout maybe not. Either way it's probably safe to say he won't be the one to pick up Zeke's 231 carries from last year.
It doesn't matter what his 40 time is. His speed is excellent on the football field. He made big plays against everybody including Alabama, LSU, TCU, and Texas.

visionary

Reaction score
I'm not really worried at all. He was drafted late round 6 almost in the 7th round. Even if he doesn't make the team it was worth a shot.
I am worried because I think Vaughn can help a lot if used properly. He should not be the back up to Pollard. He should be a weapon on the field even sometimes with Pollard.

We need a real #2 back up to Pollard (not named Davis or Jones)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not really worried at all. He was drafted late round 6 almost in the 7th round. Even if he doesn't make the team it was worth a shot.
I feel the same. Wouldn't be bothered by that. I'm bothered that we didn't take better shots at filling out the position. A one-year bargain FA and a late-round pick are not much of a guarantee. Of course, nothing's guaranteed, but I'd feel better with a better-quality FA or earlier draft pick.

morasp

Reaction score
I feel the same. Wouldn't be bothered by that. I'm bothered that we didn't take better shots at filling out the position. A one-year bargain FA and a late-round pick are not much of a guarantee. Of course, nothing's guaranteed, but I'd feel better with a better-quality FA or earlier draft pick.
I thought they would take one earlier.

morasp

Reaction score
I am worried because I think Vaughn can help a lot if used properly. He should not be the back up to Pollard. He should be a weapon on the field even sometimes with Pollard.

We need a real #2 back up to Pollard (not named Davis or Jones)
Nothing wrong with that.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
This is why I don't understand everyone saying that Vaughn is the far inferior athlete when compared to Sproles. Their measurables are about as similar as you can get.
His build doesn't resemble sproles, my comp is a better version of boston scott. Effective player that can impact both the run and receiving game. I hope i'm wrong

kskboys

Reaction score
Deuce doesn't have the explosiveness or build of Darren Sproles.

Doens't mean he's not good. Just not the same type of athlete.

R.9153bc39bb99f7bb9977ff21e4f5e973

maxresdefault.jpg
He might be even more explosive.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Deuce will dwarf anything Sproles has done in the league.
:laugh:
You ever notice that when people do comps of incoming players vs past players it always compares them to multi-year Pro Bowlers?

Hey, maybe he will be a good comp!
We all can hope.
19 out of 20 times they do not though.

Carson

Reaction score
Darren Sproles and Ell Roberson were my favorite QB-RB duo of all time. They were magic

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
His build doesn't resemble sproles, my comp is a better version of boston scott. Effective player that can impact both the run and receiving game. I hope i'm wrong
I actually agree with you there. Boston Scott is a pretty good player and if Deuce Vaughn can manage that, it is a great 6th round value for Dallas.

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score
Some other means of comparison with quickness:

Sproles 20 yard shuttle 3.96 3 cone 6.96
Vaughn 20 yard shuttle 4.22 3 cone 7.10

Career Production

Sproles 815 carries, 4,979 yards, 45 TDs, 66 receptions, 602 yards, 2 TDs
Vaughn 478 carries, 2,707 yards, 28 TDs, 89 receptions, 976 yards, 6 TDs

Darren Sproles had an incredibly well developed lower half of his body and was also highly, highly disciplined in the weight room even in the later parts of his career which explains his longevity (15 years in the NFL). Would be amazing to see Vaughn be able to translate the same way, but Vaughn and Sproles don't have very similar builds despite what the height/weight would tell you.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Some other means of comparison with quickness:

Sproles 20 yard shuttle 3.96 3 cone 6.96
Vaughn 20 yard shuttle 4.22 3 cone 7.10

Career Production

Sproles 815 carries, 4,979 yards, 45 TDs, 66 receptions, 602 yards, 2 TDs
Vaughn 478 carries, 2,707 yards, 28 TDs, 89 receptions, 976 yards, 6 TDs

Darren Sproles had an incredibly well developed lower half of his body and was also highly, highly disciplined in the weight room even in the later parts of his career which explains his longevity (15 years in the NFL). Would be amazing to see Vaughn be able to translate the same way, but Vaughn and Sproles don't have very similar builds despite what the height/weight would tell you.
Vaughn chose to workout out at his proday, but then he got an ear infection (and fever) right before it and only ran one 40 to conserve his energy for the other drills. So not sure that any of those numbers are indicative of what his best numbers should be.

tm1119

Reaction score
I actually agree with you there. Boston Scott is a pretty good player and if Deuce Vaughn can manage that, it is a great 6th round value for Dallas.
Boston Scott is another ball of muscle that weighs 200 pounds, almost 20 pound weight difference at the same height. Not the same build at all.

I think a comp for Duece is a guy the Cowboys loved and almost drafted (thankfully didn’t but whiffed on another dwarf in Switzer instead), Donell Pumphrey. Not saying he will completely bust like Pumphrey did, but he’s definitely going to have to be used in a special way to succeed…and also be a tough SOB, which there’s strong indication Duece is.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Boston Scott is another ball of muscle that weighs 200 pounds, almost 20 pound weight difference at the same height. Not the same build at all.

I think a comp for Duece is a guy the Cowboys loved and almost drafted (thankfully didn’t but whiffed on another dwarf in Switzer instead), Donell Pumphrey. Not saying he will completely bust like Pumphrey did, but he’s definitely going to have to be used in a special way to succeed…and also be a tough SOB, which there’s strong indication Duece is.
Forgot all about Pumphrey.

Decent comp, but he was probably a lot slighter than Deuce because they were ~ the same weight but Pumphrey was 3-4 inches taller.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Sproles was a special talent that got into the best system for him 7 seasons into his career. If he was with Payton earlier or was even in the league the way it is today, we'd be talking HOF potential.

Just hope we got a Rodgers, that's a ceiling that is more achievable.