News: Darren Woodson likens potential Earl Thomas acquisition to Charles Haley

CCBoy

Reaction score
Darren Woodson likens potential Earl Thomas acquisition to Charles Haley
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...oodson-jerry-jones-earl-thomas-charles-haley/

...The Ring of Honor legend and current ESPN analyst spoke with Jean-Jacques Taylor and Matt McClearin on JaM Session on ESPN Dallas 103.3 [KESN-FM] recently, and raised a few eyebrows with rather pointed comments about his former employers, specifically letting them know they should be looking at acquiring outside talent to augment the in-house young stars they have on hand. When things got specific, he didn’t hold back from saying acquiring a player like safety Earl Thomas could be exactly what is needed, just like what owner Jerry Jones did during Woodson’s early years.

“My first year, Charles Haley was brought in on the football team,” Woodson said. “And there was a certain reason why he was brought on the team, and it was more so trying to get this defense to try and have a winning mindset and have this defense have a swagger about them.

“And I think it’s the sort of the same thing with Earl Thomas,” Woodson added.

“This is a young secondary. I mean extremely young, especially in the cornerback position. You bring in a guy like Earl Thomas; he’s going to lift the entire secondary. Not only the secondary, but the linebackers as well because of the knowledge of the game: he’s a coach that’s going to be on the field, basically, an extension of the coaching staff. He’s familiar with [defensive backs coach Kris] Richard. They know each other extremely well, and he knows this defense like the back of his hand. And there is not a guy in this league that you’re going to outwork. You will not outwork Earl Thomas as far as preparation and getting ready for games. He’s just that type of football player. And I think he would help this team tremendously as far as… taking the ball away. That will increase, and that is a big problem this secondary had had over the years. They haven’t taken the ball away, and that absolutely changes with Earl Thomas.”...

BigD_95

Reaction score
I agree if ET could stay healthy and he hasn't proven he can. I love the guy when he is healthy but come on! and who is to say he will be the same player after that last injury?

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I’m not on board with signing ET. He just wants too much money and he’s at that age where safeties start to decline. He has had injury problems as well, which is usually a telling sign.

However Woody makes some good points here. The difference between this being a good defense and this being a great defense is turnovers. Last year the Cowboys’ defense was 26th in the league in interceptions. That’s really bad.

In 2018 this team found ways to get off the field and they played good defense. But if they feel that ET can fundamentally change this defense and generate more turnovers, then by all means, let’s get the guy in here.

CCBoy

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, and Woody has valuable insight.

ET might not be the missing link, but he would be a major piece of the puzzle.
Doc, do us a favor and lend a view of the real medical status projected by Thomas right now...

garyv

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...oodson-jerry-jones-earl-thomas-charles-haley/

...The Ring of Honor legend and current ESPN analyst spoke with Jean-Jacques Taylor and Matt McClearin on JaM Session on ESPN Dallas 103.3 [KESN-FM] recently, and raised a few eyebrows with rather pointed comments about his former employers, specifically letting them know they should be looking at acquiring outside talent to augment the in-house young stars they have on hand. When things got specific, he didn’t hold back from saying acquiring a player like safety Earl Thomas could be exactly what is needed, just like what owner Jerry Jones did during Woodson’s early years.

“My first year, Charles Haley was brought in on the football team,” Woodson said. “And there was a certain reason why he was brought on the team, and it was more so trying to get this defense to try and have a winning mindset and have this defense have a swagger about them.

“This is a young secondary. I mean extremely young, especially in the cornerback position. You bring in a guy like Earl Thomas; he’s going to lift the entire secondary. Not only the secondary, but the linebackers as well because of the knowledge of the game: he’s a coach that’s going to be on the field, basically, an extension of the coaching staff. He’s familiar with [defensive backs coach Kris] Richard. They know each other extremely well, and he knows this defense like the back of his hand. And there is not a guy in this league that you’re going to outwork. You will not outwork Earl Thomas as far as preparation and getting ready for games. He’s just that type of football player. And I think he would help this team tremendously as far as… taking the ball away. That will increase, and that is a big problem this secondary had had over the years. They haven’t taken the ball away, and that absolutely changes with Earl Thomas.”...

I honestly agree with Woodson. We have a few solid pieces in the secondary like Byron Jones and being honest I like Jeff Heath as a player
just not starting. I think Earl Thomas has the playmaking ability that is missing from our secondary. I have always believed hes a guy that
propels us into the playoffs and lets us take it a little bit further possibly NFC Championship game and maybe a Superbowl trip. We have a
good team but two or three playmakers are missing and this could be one of them. I don't like the asking price of 15 mil but I would set up
a meeting and come up with a contract that helps the team and Earl and I think it can be done.

risco

Reaction score
I’m not on board with signing ET. He just wants too much money and he’s at that age where safeties start to decline. He has had injury problems as well, which is usually a telling sign.

However Woody makes some good points here. The difference between this being a good defense and this being a great defense is turnovers. Last year the Cowboys’ defense was 26th in the league in interceptions. That’s really bad.

In 2018 this team found ways to get off the field and they played good defense. But if they feel that ET can fundamentally change this defense and generate more turnovers, then by all means, let’s get the guy in here.
You must forgot all about Charles Woodson- albeit a CB first then S. He played well after his 30s.

glimmerman

Reaction score
15 million. That’s a lot of cheddar. Will he make the difference between 1 playoff game win and a SB? Does anyone really know.

We saw what injecting Cooper did for our Offense but it was a little more obvious to most that we needed a #1 WR and Gallup hasn’t reached that yet.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Unfortunately Stephen is a cheap ace MOFO who disagrees with you Woody.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
15 million. That’s a lot of cheddar. Will he make the difference between 1 playoff game win and a SB? Does anyone really know.

We saw what injecting Cooper did for our Offense but it was a little more obvious to most that we needed a #1 WR and Gallup hasn’t reached that yet.
15 million is just a number thrown out by his agent. He would have to have a team take a bite which is unlikely and dumb.

Gameover

Reaction score
Like most things Cowboys related, the Haley acquisition is overrated

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not agree with the comparison because of the effect Haley had on offenses from his position was much more of a domino effect.

But can anyone argue that Thomas wouldn't improve the secondary and overall defense? We really do get into too many of these money debates instead of just debating the players. If you rank the FS available, is he not at the top of the list? And we already have the best DE in FA tagged.

And let me ask you the most important question regarding this. Why do you care about the future beyond 2019-2020? I know I debate this as well about Lawrence and Prescott but I want this FO to do everything in their power to go for it this season, don't you? What are we waiting for? The fault is not going too far; it is not going far enough.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not even close. Not only was Haley a more impactful player but that defense was literally only missing that kind of player. It was complete with his acquisition. This defense even with Earl Thomas still has major issues along the defensive line. Complete they are not.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree if ET could stay healthy and he hasn't proven he can. I love the guy when he is healthy but come on! and who is to say he will be the same player after that last injury?
It was a broken bone not a knee
You worry about a player returning to form with some injuries, others a not career killer injuries

conner01

Reaction score
Not even close. Not only was Haley a more impactful player but that defense was literally only missing that kind of player. It was complete with his acquisition. This defense even with Earl Thomas still has major issues along the defensive line. Complete they are not.
ET can change the secondary and his play is infectious
That said you are right, ET helps the secondary but we need major help on the Dline. If we get tank done we still need much there. If we don’t get tank done you likely end up with a weaker Dline than last year

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta take chances, hasn't been to good since Haley, got close a few times, but take the chance! Grab Earl while ya can!!!

Flamma

Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta take chances, hasn't been to good since Haley, got close a few times, but take the chance! Grab Earl while ya can!!!

Agreed. He's an impact player. The problem is, I'm not sure how our DL will look. We could be adding an impact player and losing several at another position. Hopefully Tank is still here and Gregory can be here by September.