Darren Woodson snubbed again

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Once again, the HOF voters did not put Woodson in the HOF. Leading tackler (still) on the Cowboys, despite all the great players like Lilly, etc. who had long careers for the Cowboys. 5-time Pro Bowler, including 3-time first team All Pro. Played in 162 of 178 games.

He might never make it, Cowboys players generally have to be not only great players, they have to be like the top 1% to get in. Be a 10 time Pro Bowler, or be on 3 SB winning teams, etc. Took Drew Pearson crying on national television to get in, probably many of the votes he got to get in were sympathy votes, the "Oh, poor guy, he's so heartbroken, we feel bad for him so let's vote him in", rather than voting him in years ago when he so richly deserved it for his play alone.

But that's okay Darren, we know you're a HOF player even if the voters don't think so.
I dont know, after Rayfield Wright, Mel Renfro, Cliff Harris, Chuck Howley, Drew Pearson and Jimmy Johnson have all made it, none of which I expected, I cant complain about Boys in the Hall. That said though I feel Harvey Martin is more deserving than Steve McMichael.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
With Rodney Harrison being a finalist for the first time this year, he might make it tough for Woodson to get in.

Tussinman

Reaction score
They've been claiming that Woods not being named to the All Decade team has been holding him back but his stats are similar to John Lynch that was never voted All Decade either . And I believe Woods has 4 more Pro Bowls than Lynch.

I'm not taking anything away from John and believe he deserves to be in it but it makes the case that Woody should be along side of him with that jacket too.
You have it backwards. Lynch has 4 more pro bowls than woodson (Lynch has 9, woody has 5). Lynch was 3x first team all pro and 1x 2nd team. Woodson was 3x first.

Both should be in but I'm not surprised Lynch got in sooner

Safety is a very hard position to get in. Eric weddle for example I wouldn't be shocked if he either never makes Hall or takes forever to get in and he's all decade team, 6x pro bowl, 3x first team, 2x 2nd team

Last edited:

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I think it's a disgrace that Woodson isn't in the Hall of Fame by now....I guess it's because he just didn't play strictly as a safety, he could play in the slot, line up outside or as a linebacker...He was such a versatile player that I really think his ability changed the safety position in the NFL....

And Dave Campo deserves a lot of credit for Dallas drafting him....Campo really went to bat for Woodson on draft day after attending his pro day and thought this guy was so much more than just a undersized linebacker because of his ability..

1942willys

Reaction score
I dont know, after Rayfield Wright, Mel Renfro, Cliff Harris, Chuck Howley, Drew Pearson and Jimmy Johnson have all made it, none of which I expected, I cant complain about Boys in the Hall. That said though I feel Harvey Martin is more deserving than Steve McMichael.
Absolutely right about how Too Mean should have been in long ago and certainly deserves it more than McMicheal - who got in because of all the pub about the Bears 85 defense

Strykerscm

Reaction score
Half the voters hate the cowboys. Then others hate Jerry. Most of them are east coast gutter trash.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Niland, Andrie, Jordan, Newton

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
It's apparent that a lot of sportswriters and media are bitter towards "America's Team" for unknown reasons, but to punish a guy like Darren Woodson just because he is a Dallas Cowboy is beyond petty.. I would love to have a conversation with the sportswriter that represented woody, just to get an idea of what the vibe was like in that room with all those sportswriters fighting for their player to get in.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Once again, the HOF voters did not put Woodson in the HOF. Leading tackler (still) on the Cowboys, despite all the great players like Lilly, etc. who had long careers for the Cowboys. 5-time Pro Bowler, including 3-time first team All Pro. Played in 162 of 178 games.

He might never make it, Cowboys players generally have to be not only great players, they have to be like the top 1% to get in. Be a 10 time Pro Bowler, or be on 3 SB winning teams, etc. Took Drew Pearson crying on national television to get in, probably many of the votes he got to get in were sympathy votes, the "Oh, poor guy, he's so heartbroken, we feel bad for him so let's vote him in", rather than voting him in years ago when he so richly deserved it for his play alone.

But that's okay Darren, we know you're a HOF player even if the voters don't think so.
The voters will probably vote Magic Johnson in the Football Hall of Fame before they get to Darren............. It's time to remove the current voters out of the equation and let the players have THE say who get's in and who doesn't. Any players worth a grain of salt will tell ya what it takes to get into the HALL and Darren has checked all those boxes!

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Dallas has 32 HOFers behind only the Bears and Packers and ahead of Pittsburgh and SF. Fans of every franchise in the NFL feel that there are players from their history that are unjustly excluded.

1942willys

Reaction score
Dallas has 32 HOFers behind only the Bears and Packers and ahead of Pittsburgh and SF. Fans of every franchise in the NFL feel that there are players from their history that are unjustly excluded.
Of course we deserve more. We are the Cowboys. BUT to be serious that is a load of horse crap a bout other teams
And that excuse got old twenty years ago.
Fact is more of ours deserve to be in and if you don't like it go suck eggs

1942willys

Reaction score
It's apparent that a lot of sportswriters and media are bitter towards "America's Team" for unknown reasons, but to punish a guy like Darren Woodson just because he is a Dallas Cowboy is beyond petty.. I would love to have a conversation with the sportswriter that represented woody, just to get an idea of what the vibe was like in that room with all those sportswriters fighting for their player to get in.
You look at the current crop of so called sportswriters and its no surprise the HOF voting is the way it is

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Of course we deserve more. We are the Cowboys. BUT to be serious that is a load of horse crap a bout other teams
And that excuse got old twenty years ago.
Fact is more of ours deserve to be in and if you don't like it go suck eggs
A lot of people here agree with you.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dallas has the highest winning percentage overall of any NFL team. Holds the record for consecutive winning seasons. Can't do that without having top players for years and years. The more good players a team has, the more logically you would expect to be HOFers. Like the Lions, they have played nearly 350 more games than Dallas, yet have 10 less players in the HOF. But what do you expect? Went 30 years without winning their division. Couldn't have had a lot of great players over that time and not get more in the HOF.

But at least for me, I don't think a ton more of Cowboys players should be in, and any I think should be in I can support with solid evidence, be it stats or impacts to the NFL in other ways.

For me, Woodson was an exceptional player, has not just stats but was an integral part of the Cowboys winning a lot of games.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Dallas has the highest winning percentage overall of any NFL team. Holds the record for consecutive winning seasons. Can't do that without having top players for years and years. The more good players a team has, the more logically you would expect to be HOFers. Like the Lions, they have played nearly 350 more games than Dallas, yet have 10 less players in the HOF. But what do you expect? Went 30 years without winning their division. Couldn't have had a lot of great players over that time and not get more in the HOF.

But at least for me, I don't think a ton more of Cowboys players should be in, and any I think should be in I can support with solid evidence, be it stats or impacts to the NFL in other ways.

For me, Woodson was an exceptional player, has not just stats but was an integral part of the Cowboys winning a lot of games.
Agreed. My point being that the Bears and Packers are both much older franchises than the Cowboys. That, to me, explains their numbers.