Dave Campo on Dan Quinn and the Packers game

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Many aren't excited about Zimmer returning, but he is exactly what this team needs. No more cuddling players, but rather hold them accountable and play up to a certain standard. I wish this type of coach was hired to replace MM as it is an entire team issue, not just the defense.
Exactly......never forget he fired Norv Turner as his OC mid-season.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Everyone viewing from the outside knew this besides the Cowboys... Interesting..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol at Dave Campo stating with, "From a cultural standpoint..." If there is anyone who would know about culture and this franchise, it would be him.

I will give Jerry Jones credit for partially addressing part of the problem. Mike Zimmer is a retread but he does have a stern reputation that has followed him during his career. Here is what Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks stated of Zimmer's culture after his firing:

"I think from an overall standpoint, [you want] a culture where communication is put at the forefront and no matter what your role is on the staff, you having a voice and being able to communicate things that you think could help facilitate wins," Kendricks said. "I think just having that voice, no matter how big your role is, is important, to listen up and take each other's feelings into account. I don't think a fear-based organization is the way to go." (link)​
And that is why Zimmer's hire culturally will ultimately fail. Cowboys players have given many glowing compliments of Dan Quinn during his time in Dallas. It would be hard disputing Campo's outsider observation Quinn was too buddy-buddy with them. The overly friendly relationships were allowed mainly by Mike McCarthy but also partially by Jones.

Culturally, Jones countered with a replacement with an already established history under him in Dallas as owner and general manager. Unfortunately, Zimmer's 'jerk' nature was only effective to a point during his first tenure in Dallas. That was partially due to the culture Jones allowed to foster back then. It has not changed.

Now, the same culture that has cultivated a buddy-buddy defensive squad, will be challenged as Darren Woodson said--and challenged hard. Resentment is unavoidable and the overhanging culture is such, that Jones will still serve as a release valve for player frustration.

Zimmer's potential is much higher in the short-term than long-term. He will come in and bust butts. How long Zimmer's way can be optimally effective within Jones' culture is the question. What Jones can do in offsetting a ticking timebomb, is signing off on the best defensive players available in the draft and free agency. Infuse some new blood into the locker room and excise some of the old. That will help Zimmer's coaching relationship and the scheme he will be bringing with him.

khiladi

Reaction score
If LVE didn’t have the neck issue, he most definitely would have been a HoF type player. Dude was operating without the ability to completely turn his head with the fused vertebrae. You could tell with the way he played, he was limited in range of motion with the neck while protecting it. His smarts were seen in his ability to line up the defense and be in the proper position. Definitely a what-could-have-been type of player..

khiladi

Reaction score

Actually, I think there is a thread of Lamb and Parsons talking about a lack of accountability

Culture excuse is BS as far as Quinn is concerned. They annihilated the Commanders going into the play-offs, meaning they destroyed a bad team. Their weaknesses and tendencies were figured out by the end of the season to some degree and good offenses were able to exploit it. This is where legitimate QBs come into play…. They can engage in shoot-outs..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
lol at Dave Campo stating with, "From a cultural standpoint..." If there is anyone who would know about culture and this franchise, it would be him.

I will give Jerry Jones credit for partially addressing part of the problem. Mike Zimmer is a retread but he does have a stern reputation that has followed him during his career. Here is what Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks stated of Zimmer's culture after his firing:

"I think from an overall standpoint, [you want] a culture where communication is put at the forefront and no matter what your role is on the staff, you having a voice and being able to communicate things that you think could help facilitate wins," Kendricks said. "I think just having that voice, no matter how big your role is, is important, to listen up and take each other's feelings into account. I don't think a fear-based organization is the way to go." (link)​
And that is why Zimmer's hire culturally will ultimately fail. Cowboys players have given many glowing compliments of Dan Quinn during his time in Dallas. It would be hard disputing Campo's outsider observation Quinn was too buddy-buddy with them. The overly friendly relationships were allowed mainly by Mike McCarthy but also partially by Jones.

Culturally, Jones countered with a replacement with an already established history under him in Dallas as owner and general manager. Unfortunately, Zimmer's 'jerk' nature was only effective to a point during his first tenure in Dallas. That was partially due to the culture Jones allowed to foster back then. It has not changed.

Now, the same culture that has cultivated a buddy-buddy defensive squad, will be challenged as Darren Woodson said--and challenged hard. Resentment is unavoidable and the overhanging culture is such, that Jones will still serve as a release valve for player frustration.

Zimmer's potential is much higher in the short-term than long-term. He will come in and bust butts. How long Zimmer's way can be optimally effective within Jones' culture is the question. What Jones can do in offsetting a ticking timebomb, is signing off on the best defensive players available in the draft and free agency. Infuse some new blood into the locker room and excise some of the old. That will help Zimmer's coaching relationship and the scheme he will be bringing with him.
I remember reading somewhere how lots of players feared Jimmy but Norv and Dave Wannstead were buffers between him and the players. But to be honest, I think this is being overplayed a bit.....making it appear Zim is coming in and chewing out everybody. I don't think that's going to be him. I think they will see a coach shooting straight from the hip with little or no filter. Hell, he has spent the last 2 seasons hanging with Prime Time.......what does that tell ya (lol)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lotsa folks kicking Quinn while he is down....
Not sure any of that is really called for.
But taking a job in division you know Jerry is ready to loose the hounds.

DQ did a good job here. He failed in the end when it mattered most but he also got a promotion based on the bulk of his work.

Dallas obviously needs to figure out LB. With LVE out all size was out the window. And yes with the new schemes you have to be able to cover as a backer. But you don't have to be 220 or less....

I coached AAU much like Quinn. It was about building confidence and putting kids in roles they can succeed in.
But I brought in a hard-nosed run til you pass out coach to lead them once we started a more national schedule.

Zim will get them focused on fundamentals and football IQ stuff. Hopefully Micah buys into that very quickly because that can get prickly. For a short-term all-in type run you couldn't draw it up much better.

Creeper

Reaction score
We here have been saying this for the last few years. They need to get bigger and more physical inside on the DL. Instead they made Mazi lose 30 lbs.

I think losing LVE did hurt them. I think he would have helped against Green Bay with some of the coverages. But he was there against Arizona and was part of the problem too.

I don't know if Quinn was responsible, but they let the LB depth go multiple times during the year and what they ended up with was their own doing. Of course they could not have foreseen the injuries to LVE and Overshown, but they let Harper and Evans go after those injuries.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
This is why I have said.......I'm not sure they were bringing back even if he had not gotten an HC job. His time here had run out IMO.

“From a culture standpoint… I’ll just say one thing this way. I know Dan Quinn very well. I was not in the office, in the building, I’m here in Jacksonville so I saw a bunch of the games. I saw that game. I’m going a little bit on some heresay. But I think the one thing about Dan is he’s a fine gentlemen and he’s smart and his scheme was okay, but he was a little bit too buddy-buddy I think with the players and that’s part of it. You can’t have a lot of accountability if you don’t stand a little bit above it of the people that you’re trying to get to be accountable.”
He was definitely coming back imo. They wanted for the entire head coaching cycle to filter out before he told them he was leaving. If they wanted him gone they could have done it proactively and had a larger net of candidates.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Lotsa folks kicking Quinn while he is down....
Not sure any of that is really called for.
But taking a job in division you know Jerry is ready to loose the hounds.

DQ did a good job here. He failed in the end when it mattered most but he also got a promotion based on the bulk of his work.

Dallas obviously needs to figure out LB. With LVE out all size was out the window. And yes with the new schemes you have to be able to cover as a backer. But you don't have to be 220 or less....

I coached AAU much like Quinn. It was about building confidence and putting kids in roles they can succeed in.
But I brought in a hard-nosed run til you pass out coach to lead them once we started a more national schedule.

Zim will get them focused on fundamentals and football IQ stuff. Hopefully Micah buys into that very quickly because that can get prickly. For a short-term all-in type run you couldn't draw it up much better.
It will only take 1 Washington win against us before it’s “jerry let this guy out of the building he’s a fool “ to come right back don’t worry

Aven8

Reaction score
I like DQ a lot but as others have mentioned his scheme kind of wore thin. Partly due to players in the middle. Having said that, this is a great time to shift to Zimm as the players were all comfortable, and now some accountability is going to help them two fold. It’s similar to when the team went from Campo to Bill.