Dave Campo on Dan Quinn and the Packers game

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember reading somewhere how lots of players feared Jimmy but Norv and Dave Wannstead were buffers between him and the players. But to be honest, I think this is being overplayed a bit.....making it appear Zim is coming in and chewing out everybody. I don't think that's going to be him. I think they will see a coach shooting straight from the hip with little or no filter. Hell, he has spent the last 2 seasons hanging with Prime Time.......what does that tell ya (lol)
I do not think any concerns are applicable concerning the Jimmy Johnson era. How things worked (concerning team culture) before and after Johnson are two separate situations.

I do not see how anything is being overplayed. Darren Woodson's precaution was not. He spoke from experience. Hopefully, current players can in take his personal and professional experience and maximize the benefits of Zimmer's coaching knowledge and attributes. It should pay off for them individually, just like it did for Woodson.

The culture part? That is something that will not totally go away.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't have success as a head coach but that doesn't mean he isn't very knowledgeable about the workings of a football team. He knows more than all of the posters here combined.
And especially the inner workings of this front office.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

Looks like old school still applies , the basics of the game is still the same. so many of us pointed that run D has to improve , otherwise playoff could be difficult , but DQ was too busy interviewing ( guessing)

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We have had this run game problem for like 3 years and Quinn didn't do anything about. He liked speed and smaller D guys. That just doesn't work, thank god he is gone and Zimmer will definitely fix this problem.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is why I have said.......I'm not sure they were bringing back even if he had not gotten an HC job. His time here had run out IMO.

“From a culture standpoint… I’ll just say one thing this way. I know Dan Quinn very well. I was not in the office, in the building, I’m here in Jacksonville so I saw a bunch of the games. I saw that game. I’m going a little bit on some heresay. But I think the one thing about Dan is he’s a fine gentlemen and he’s smart and his scheme was okay, but he was a little bit too buddy-buddy I think with the players and that’s part of it. You can’t have a lot of accountability if you don’t stand a little bit above it of the people that you’re trying to get to be accountable.”
Our Defense needs some pieces and pieces that got injured last year.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
One more thing on the buddy-buddy comment… Jimmy made a similar comment on NFL Fox but it was about DQ’s Falcons days. Showed his frustration with DQ not wanting to hold his assistants in Atlanta accountable after that legendary SB collapse. Sometimes, you can have too much heart and the players and people under you take advantage of it. Zimm will squash that quickly and McCarthy will support him. These young guys on D need to toughen up mentally and emotionally fast.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is why I have said.......I'm not sure they were bringing back even if he had not gotten an HC job. His time here had run out IMO.

“From a culture standpoint… I’ll just say one thing this way. I know Dan Quinn very well. I was not in the office, in the building, I’m here in Jacksonville so I saw a bunch of the games. I saw that game. I’m going a little bit on some heresay. But I think the one thing about Dan is he’s a fine gentlemen and he’s smart and his scheme was okay, but he was a little bit too buddy-buddy I think with the players and that’s part of it. You can’t have a lot of accountability if you don’t stand a little bit above it of the people that you’re trying to get to be accountable.”
I consider the problem a front-office problem. Coaches make do with what they have. The best player we had to start at linebacker after LVE got hurt was Bell. We didn't have any big DTs who weren't NTs (and one of those wasn't very good as a rookie). How much of that's on Quinn, and how much is on the player personnel department and GM?

The same complaints will be made about Zimmer if the Joneses don't get him what he needs to succeed.