Dave Ragone released...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
2003 3rd round draft pick was just released by the Texans because he doesn't fit their system. Kubiak wants a quick release roll-out guy to run the Denver offense and Ragone is a 250 lbs. pure pocket slinger. He went to NFLE last year and won MVP of the league. He has to clear waivers ... I would put a waiver claim on him in a second.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
2003 3rd round draft pick was just released by the Texans because he doesn't fit their system. Kubiak wants a quick release roll-out guy to run the Denver offense and Ragone is a 250 lbs. pure pocket slinger. He went to NFLE last year and won MVP of the league. He has to clear waivers ... I would put a waiver claim on him in a second.
He can replace Romo :D

gbrittain

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

Do not know much about him, but I know lots of Texan fans who are very high on him.

Then again, of course, thats the way it goes with the 2nd string QBs.

cstanton1987

Reaction score
I remember him from Louisville he had a nice strong arm seemed to be accurate immobile and fat though who's spot would he take though

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The Cowboys are bringing 4 QB's to training camp. He would take the spot of whoever he performed better than.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
2003 3rd round draft pick was just released by the Texans because he doesn't fit their system.

What system is that? ..... the stand in place and get speared QB system?

Thats all I see happen to Carr

twa

Reaction score
zrinkill said:
What system is that? ..... the stand in place and get speared QB system?

Thats all I see happen to Carr

It's the old Oiler system, when Pastorini would drop back and run for his life.

Seems like I remember Archie Manning playing in that system for the Saint's too:lmao:

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Tanin T. said:
Wouldn't Ragone cost more, though?

in theory he would cost more for a 1 year contract because of how long he has been in the league. But with NFL contracts not being guaranteed, cutting him would cost nothing same as Mroz, minus any sign bonus they recieve

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Very good point

True, and they ex-coordinator will give the scoop to Mr. Jones and BP, therefore if we do not sign him then the report must of been negative.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Texans release No. 3 QB Ragone

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Once regarded as a solid prospect, and a player who might eventually emerge as a starter in the league, quarterback Dave Ragone has been released by the Houston Texans after three seasons.

s6424.jpg

[SIZE=-2]Ragone[/SIZE]

Ragone, 26, played in only two games in three seasons. He started two contests as a rookie, when David Carr was injured, and completed 20 of 40 passes for 135 yards, with one interception. He also rushed for 51 yards on six carries.

But over the past two seasons, Ragone did not appear in a single game, and as a pure, dropback pocket passer, he was probably ill-suited for the offense being installed by Texans first-year coach Gary Kubiak this spring. That offense will require more mobility from the quarterback and movement skills have never been Ragone's strong suit.

On the revamped depth chart, Ragone has been replaced as the No. 3 quarterback by rookie Quinton Porter, an undrafted free agent from Boston College who has impressed the coaches. Beset by a string of injuries, Porter started only 17 games during his college career.

The Texans earlier in the spring signed former Miami backup Sage Rosenfels to take over the No. 2 spot behind Carr, a job held by veteran Tony Banks the past four seasons. Banks was not re-signed and remains available as an unrestricted free agent.

Ragone was the team's third-round choice in the 2003 draft, the 88th player selected that year, following a standout career at Louisville. He signed a three-year, $1.35 million contract that included a signing bonus of $440,000. Then, this year, the Texans retained his rights as a restricted free agent and earlier this month signed him to the one-year qualifying offer of $721,600.

Last spring, playing for the Berlin Thunder, Ragone earned offensive most valuable player honors in the NFL Europe League. In leading his team to a World Bowl berth, Ragone completed 158 of 251 passes for 1,746 yards, with 13 touchdown passes and just two interceptions. He established an NFLEL record by throwing 174 straight passes without an interception.

Because he is not a "vested" veteran, Ragone is subject to league waivers, and could be claimed by a team seeking a young No. 3 quarterback.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here
in.gif

LINK

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
Do not know much about him, but I know lots of Texan fans who are very high on him.

Then again, of course, thats the way it goes with the 2nd string QBs.

And evidently the 3rd stringers as well... :cool:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

why exactly? he isnt any good at all and has shown nothing

David

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know about signing him, but he die have a much better college career than Henson and a much better NFLE season as well.

pigskin fan

Reaction score
OH did you guys see that Tony Banks is available again...I hope JJ jumps all over him!!!!!!

Hey Just kidding around

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
why exactly? he isnt any good at all and has shown nothing

David

Because I believe in churning the bottom of the roster looking for diamonds in the rough.

Its actually a pretty common practice for NFL GM's. Roster moves are made throughout the year, and not just for proven Pro Bowlers. Sometimes they bring a guy in who might not even make the roster. They might want to look at him to see if he's better than whay they got. Wild and crazy stuff, huh?