David Carr: Marcus Mariota should be the QB1 over Jalen Hurts

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ya I dont think Philly can afford to do that till they have locked up #1 seed if they do.. Its actually probably not us they need to worry about as much as San Fran. I hate Philly with a passion but unlike us they have found ways to get it done.

Go Cowboys
If they drop this week to us, they probably wont have an opportunity to rest starters all year

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Y'all know me its screw Philly. I don't care what Carr said. Yeah it's stupid lol. I don't get why he said it. But I do find it funny at the outrage from Eagles fans. Guess they now get to see what it's like being a Dak supporter lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Hurts injury talk is nonsense. He’s got his money, Eagles are invested in him, he’s not out there if he’s not sufficiently healthy to play. Every guy in the NFL is dinged up to a degree at this point in the season.
Since when did Prescott ever get an excuse?? I remember way back in the day, I don't remember what year it was where he had his hand smashed in a helmet and it swelled up like a big ball and they taped it up and he played he didn't miss a game, he wore a glove on it... there's other guys that somehow get credit for that, he has had a bad shoulder, a calf injury, that nobody gave me excuse for coming back in that Denver game couple years back and he's had the broken hand, you don't think a broken thumb somehow when he came back affected him a little bit but nobody gave him credit and by the way there are people sticking up right now on ESPN on get up Josh Allen that he's being criticized more than he should be for leading the league in turnovers.. And the best one is nobody really brings this up how great a year was 2021 for a player coming off a major injury that got a contract the fans were criticizing the owner for giving him a new deal before they saw him play coming back from that injury and arguably or debatable probably his best here stat wise 37 touchdowns and 10 interceptions were better than Patrick Mahomes he also got close to 4800 yards was on a 12 win team nobody talks about Prescott in a positive way, they only bring up the negatives..

Unfairly criticized are you serious excuses for injuries all of a sudden this is the thing unless it's Prescott..lol

SlammedZero

Reaction score
That has to be one of the single most stupid takes I've ever seen. lol
Yeah, Philly is not 10-2 with Mariota starting. :laugh:

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Um... as a Cowboys fan, I agree with Carr.

Mariota would make the Eagles unstoppable!

Please, Philly -- don't do it! I can't handle the inevitable dynasty this would bring you.

I would be so scared for the Cowboys to even be on the same field!

How could we even compete?!?!

Noooooooo. Don't do it, Philly. Please!

/s

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Y'all act like Hurts has been balling.
The team has a good record, and he makes some plays, but he's been mediocre for the most part. And lately, it's been clear his leg has been bothering him.
It's not like Mariota is some complete scrub, either. Give him the best OL in the league and top end WRs, and it's not crazy to think he'd be pretty effective.

It would allow Hurts to heal and be fresh for the playoffs.

If you think it's "stupid" then you're probably not even attempting to analyze it critically.

Creeper

Reaction score
That is quite a statement coming from Carr. Mariota failed on several teams before being signed by the Eagles. I do think Hurts is overrated, and he plays way too cautiously, but Mariota ain't it.

Bagman

Reaction score
Carr should take advantage of the premium healthcare that the NFL has provided for him and go get a CT scan. He's crazy. There's no way the Eagles are sitting Hurts.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL.

Carr has taken a few too many blows to the head.

But yeah, please do this Philly. Start Mariota.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Uhh.....these guys actually get PAID to tell us things like this?

At least Carr can use multiple hits during his playing career to explain Mariota over Hurts. But if he has a segment next week trumpeting Mike White over Tua someone needs to get him evaluated ASAP.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If Hurts can’t run like he did last year, he is a mediocre (at best) QB.

I said this in the offseason on here: if defenses find a way to limit Hurts running (or he’s injured and can’t run), then everything changes for Philly.

His running opened up the whole offense. Defenses are in a conundrum trying to limit his yards while playing the rest of the offense. His legs consistently moved the chains (or the threat of the run helped the passing game) and made time of possession heavily in favor of the eagles. They moved down the field over and over.

With defenses trying to stop that, the passing lanes become wide open and it doesn’t matter that Hurts isn’t accurate and isn’t good at reading coverage. The WR’s are wide open.

Off of that, you had the defense last year always playing fresh because of TOP, and they were constantly playing with a lead, so they could pin their ears back and get after the QB.

All of that depended on Hurts constantly moving the chains with his legs. Without that, all of it is different. The coverage is much tighter for the most part, so the passing is down in efficiency, and the defense isn’t protected like last season. Hurts isn’t a tight window thrower consistently enough.

Philly is a good team, I’m not saying they’re not… but they aren’t close to what they were last season. Defenses have slowed Hurts and he’s just not a great QB without the huge threat of running. Defenses always adjust and it has hamstrung the team.

Mariota is a bad QB so no, you don’t go to him… but if Philly had a better backup, it isn’t crazy to maybe take a look.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I saw Marcus Mariota attempt to throw a pass when his body was either near the ground or ON the ground when he was with Atlanta. I may search and post the video later.

David Carr can talk all he wants. Nick Sirianni will not pull his proven starter in favor of a backup--and certainly not for Mariota--if Jalen Hurts can play. Players play hurt all the time. This situation will not be any different.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

That is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.... as evidenced by the fact that NO team had any interest whatsoever in making Mariota their QB1 this offseason when they had a chance to.

Even teams with HORRIBLE starting QBs didn't want him.

David Carr: as good as assessing QBs as he was at PLAYING quarterback.