David Carr: Marcus Mariota should be the QB1 over Jalen Hurts

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
If Hurts can’t run like he did last year, he is a mediocre (at best) QB.

I said this in the offseason on here: if defenses find a way to limit Hurts running (or he’s injured and can’t run), then everything changes for Philly.

His running opened up the whole offense. Defenses are in a conundrum trying to limit his yards while playing the rest of the offense. His legs consistently moved the chains (or the threat of the run helped the passing game) and made time of possession heavily in favor of the eagles. They moved down the field over and over.

With defenses trying to stop that, the passing lanes become wide open and it doesn’t matter that Hurts isn’t accurate and isn’t good at reading coverage. The WR’s are wide open.

Off of that, you had the defense last year always playing fresh because of TOP, and they were constantly playing with a lead, so they could pin their ears back and get after the QB.

All of that depended on Hurts constantly moving the chains with his legs. Without that, all of it is different. The coverage is much tighter for the most part, so the passing is down in efficiency, and the defense isn’t protected like last season. Hurts isn’t a tight window thrower consistently enough.

Philly is a good team, I’m not saying they’re not… but they aren’t close to what they were last season. Defenses have slowed Hurts and he’s just not a great QB without the huge threat of running. Defenses always adjust and it has hamstrung the team.

Mariota is a bad QB so no, you don’t go to him… but if Philly had a better backup, it isn’t crazy to maybe take a look.
Even if you assume ur statement is correct (Hurts as a pocket passer is just "mediocre")... mediocre is still miles ahead of what Mariotta would be (horrible).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
David Carr has no idea what he’s talking about. :rolleyes: He has some of the most skewed insight of anyone I’ve seen who’s played the game and gets paid to talk football, A less than 100% Hurts is a lot better than Marcus Mariota. Hurts put up almost 300 yards against San Francisco and a TD. Hurts had three TDs against Buffalo the previous week bringing Philly from behind. He’s not the problem.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Old boy better not plan on going to Philly anytime soon......... :lmao2:

hot-take.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Um... as a Cowboys fan, I agree with Carr.

Mariota would make the Eagles unstoppable!

Please, Philly -- don't do it! I can't handle the inevitable dynasty this would bring you.

I would be so scared for the Cowboys to even be on the same field!

How could we even compete?!?!

Noooooooo. Don't do it, Philly. Please!

/s
Yep that would definitely cause @XXLMike to spiral out of control for sure! :laugh:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
He is talking about an injury and if he is able to play at 100% or 50%..is a 50% Hurtz etter than a 100% Mariota...maybe who knows with this team.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score

David Carr drinks on the job....Dak was lit!! :lmao2: :lmao2:

Did hurts get a concussion? How many times have teams covered it up? Philly is a dirty team and a dirty organization so who is to say? Personally I would not care if hurts went out Sunday with concussion and did a tua right in the middle of the field

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Did hurts get a concussion? How many times have teams covered it up? Philly is a dirty team and a dirty organization so who is to say? Personally I would not care if hurts went out Sunday with concussion and did a tua right in the middle of the field
Expressing you don’t care if players get injured indicates something, but it does not indicate being a fan.