David Irving says goodbye for good to NFL **merged**

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I want to start a new country.

Only people with IQs above the US median IQ will be admitted.

Exceptions will be made for females based on the crazy/hot scale.

Absolutely NO Kardashians allowed.

Once enough people move to X-Country, the US will collapse due to only low IQ types remaining. Then we'll take back portions of the US (we'll leave Philly, etc. to the dummies).

Eventually David Irving will get a work permit to clean our gutters since he won't need a ladder.

On the positive side for Irving, weed will be legal. He'll be able to freely spend his minimum wages on weed.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way but this is just poorly done on every level.
It's equivalent to arguing RKelly has a point about the parents being out for money/fame.

DI had issues showing up period. He didn't love football and was suspended the 1st time for "gas station pills"....

As to being a beast. Give me a hard MEH there.
He had basically 1 stretch of games that spanned 2 seasons where he was truly impressive.
It was a blip on the radar.

Availability and Consistency are key abilities.

When he didn't even play in the playoffs it was clear it was over for him here and likely anywhere else.
He hadn't bothered staying in football shape and could not have cared less about the team.
Those kinds of people are anathema in every way.

DI attention seeking video was nonsense like basically all of his social media posts.

When you are suspended and no one wants you, it is less than meaningless to "retire". I am also formally announcing I am officially removing my name from the NFL talent pool in case they ever decide they need a 46 year old former back D1 safety.....

Lol Rkelly is a pedo and kidnapper, DI is a drug addict and an idiot, very different my friend. You're post was poorly done immediately based on choosing to start off with that terrible analogy. As for irving, im not saying the guy is an angel or without flaws, and i do believe he has been troubled for years, but what im referring to is strictly the point he made in his statement. In no way am i saying that the guy was even close to being a consummate pro and I probably would have been against re-signing him even if he hadn't failed again because he simply was unreliable. But in regards to what he said, i agree with him, whether or not that is even the real reason why he's "quitting". It very well could be just bc he is an immature young fool who doesnt wanna stop smoking weed, idfk.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with that, but marijuana is now a known commodity of pain management that is non-addictive, whereas opioids are terribly addictive. And i disagree with the "abuse is on the person" statement as well with this particular drug because if a guy like Irving is dealing with tremendous levels of pain and the only way for him to play is by treating said pain with the "approved" pain management method (which are opioids), then he will be given large amounts.

With opioids, if you take them for long enough, you will get physically addicted- doesn't matter who you are, and that is where you "blame the drug". So i have no problem with him refusing to take them at all. You might be surprised as to how many people who have had their lives derailed by heroin started off by taking painkillers after a surgery and simply could not get off of them. It's a common and tragic occurrence..

Really, what about the Heavy Equipment Operator who has been doing the job for 18 years and who has serious back and leg issues, head aches, the whole nine yards who shows up with a bottle in his lunch pale and then works the gears until his actions meet up with a dangerous accident? What is the excuse on that one? Is he also afforded the same convenient excuse?

I mean, it's a common and tragic occurrence right?

It may seem like I am being insensitive here and maybe I am but, this discussion should not rest on the actions of Irving. He is not the right standard barer for any credible issue. To do so, simply lessons the overall point of the issue. It makes it less and that's not what you want in a discussion on something as genuinely serious as the current Drug Addiction Problems in America.

Don't hang your hat on him. He isn't the one that needs to be representing this type of discussion.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree with that, but marijuana is now a known commodity of pain management that is non-addictive, whereas opioids are terribly addictive. And i disagree with the "abuse is on the person" statement as well with this particular drug because if a guy like Irving is dealing with tremendous levels of pain and the only way for him to play is by treating said pain with the "approved" pain management method (which are opioids), then he will be given large amounts.

With opioids, if you take them for long enough, you will get physically addicted- doesn't matter who you are, and that is where you "blame the drug". So i have no problem with him refusing to take them at all. You might be surprised as to how many people who have had their lives derailed by heroin started off by taking painkillers after a surgery and simply could not get off of them. It's a common and tragic occurrence..

Yes, yes,, but this isn't a feel sorry about an individual perspective.. There comes a time an place for compassion, and healing, and all of that.
An NFL atmosphere , when all you have to do is show up with your god gifted physical talents and make millions, and just be somewhat responsible.
I don't have any sympathy for people that choose to feel good/better because its easy to take drugs, its easy to go out and get drunk and get DUIs.
Responsible people go to work everyday in order to take care of their families making a mere fraction of what an NFL player makes, if they are lucky, and they don't have the support team and resources that a Irving has the luxury of having.
So no, Im done with the apathy, Im ready to move on,, my policy would be 1 and done,, no more mercy,, you can find that with another job by contacting your human resources dept.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Really, what about the Heavy Equipment Operator who has been doing the job for 18 years and who has serious back and leg issues, head aches, the whole nine yards who shows up with a bottle in his lunch pale and then works the gears until his actions meet up with a dangerous accident? What is the excuse on that one? Is he also afforded the same convenient excuse?

Not sure what you mean...maybe wise to elaborate a bit more?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
These players use pot to manage pain. I see nothing wrong with that. And since the entire country is moving toward legalizing pot, will the league thenresinstate these players they banner because it is an acceptable form of recreation?

This has nothing to do with Irving, per se for me. It has to do with the reality of a game that is still savage in its contact, and these guys either using something truly innocuous such as pot versus Oxy.

I think the NFL stands for Not Foresighted for Long.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

Apples and Oranges.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think its funny to see everyone criticizing David Irving. The thing is, i bet half of these critics didnt even watch/listen to his video because in all honesty, he made some great points. Yes, he is passing up on a lot of money and a potentially great NFL career because the guy is a damned monster when hes out there. But in regards to what he said and why he is "quitting", i fully support him.

As a former opioid addict, first the pills then heroin (now in recovery, thank the good lord), what the NFL is trying to do by pushing Big Pharma's idiotic agenda and act like opioids are the answer to pain while punishing people for smoking weed to try and deal with the same pain is absolute bull****.

If David Irving can effectively deal with his pain/injuries from playing football through the use of marijuana, then i am all for him doing it and i think the NFL should be as well. Anything is better than getting physically dependent on opiods and benzos (which i have no idea why the NFL allows either, that is appalling to me as well.)

I think most people criticizing Irving have no idea how bad the opioid epidemic is right now and how many people it is killing by the day. I believe with the entire Purdue pharma case going on right now and the negative publicity they are receiving, more people will get familiar with just how corrupt that industry truly is and hopefully will force the NFL to finally change their damn policy on weed and stop pushing painkillers like water to the players.
Stay clean, stay strong and carry on. I live where you are coming from and can't for the life of me come to terms with Irving's position on this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean...maybe wise to elaborate a bit more?

What part is unclear? I mean, it's alcohol instead of weed as the cooping tool but it's the same basic premise. Is it different for the Heavy Equipment Operator or can he or she, too, use the same excuse as to why they broke the rules?

ShortRound

Reaction score
I think its funny to see everyone criticizing David Irving. The thing is, i bet half of these critics didnt even watch/listen to his video because in all honesty, he made some great points. Yes, he is passing up on a lot of money and a potentially great NFL career because the guy is a damned monster when hes out there. But in regards to what he said and why he is "quitting", i fully support him.

As a former opioid addict, first the pills then heroin (now in recovery, thank the good lord), what the NFL is trying to do by pushing Big Pharma's idiotic agenda and act like opioids are the answer to pain while punishing people for smoking weed to try and deal with the same pain is absolute bull****.

If David Irving can effectively deal with his pain/injuries from playing football through the use of marijuana, then i am all for him doing it and i think the NFL should be as well. Anything is better than getting physically dependent on opiods and benzos (which i have no idea why the NFL allows either, that is appalling to me as well.)

I think most people criticizing Irving have no idea how bad the opioid epidemic is right now and how many people it is killing by the day. I believe with the entire Purdue pharma case going on right now and the negative publicity they are receiving, more people will get familiar with just how corrupt that industry truly is and hopefully will force the NFL to finally change their damn policy on weed and stop pushing painkillers like water to the players.

Good for you for fighting your addiction. I don't think pot is a big deal, compared to hard drugs.
But it's not the pot for me, more the simply fact that, the league has a rule and Irving has chosen to not follow those rules.

Whether it's pot, PED's, whatever it is, he chooses not to follow the rules, in fact he flaunts his acts now.
Considering he has a daughter, I think the sacrifice is worth it for the career and money.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
My counter to this whole pissing contest about drugs is that most employers in present day America have these things called rules and expectations, mine included. I actually received a random drug test last Wednesday. It's a part of life. I don't fault the NFL for their rules.

I could have gotten on my high horse and pitched a fit and quit like David has done/is doing, but I have a duty to myself and my family that depends on me to be tenuously employed, so I choose not to smoke weed. That's what a man does. David Irving has a track record of getting evicted from apartments for not paying his rent, even while on a consistent NFL salary. I hope weed pays the bills and puts food on his table for his little girl.

Completely moronic.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
What part is unclear? I mean, it's alcohol instead of weed as the cooping tool but it's the same basic premise. Is it different for the Heavy Equipment Operator or can he or she, too, use the same excuse as to why they broke the rules?

Wasn't sure what kind of "bottle" u meant, bottle of pills or booze. And yes i believe its different because being drunk heavily impairs functioning on every level whereas marijuana does not. Also no one is saying players should be getting high before games, but if they do, its on them, and if the team finds out, they should be allowed to deal with it whatever way they choose.

DFWJC

Reaction score
These players use pot to manage pain. I see nothing wrong with that. And since the entire country is moving toward legalizing pot, will the league thenresinstate these players they banner because it is an acceptable form of recreation?

This has nothing to do with Irving, per se for me. It has to do with the reality of a game that is still savage in its contact, and these guys either using something truly innocuous such as pot versus Oxy.

I think the NFL stands for Not Foresighted for Long.
It does seem weird that pot is heading toward being universally legal yet players are suspended for it.

But really...it's plain and simple...those are the rules.
period.

It is completely irrelevant how we feel about the rules. Completely irrelevant.

He is choosing pot over football.
His choice

tm1119

Reaction score
I 100% agree with him that marijuana is the better option than prescription drugs

I also 100% agree with the idea that it’s not the nfl’s business whether a player decides to smoke or not. It’s not a harmful substance and it’s not performing enhancing. It’s much more a political belief than anything.

BUT if you have a chance to possibly make 10’s of millions of $’s...it’s probably a good idea to go ahead and do that. Play by their rules for 3-4 years and then retire young and smoke all you want. Kinda dumb to go out on your sword before you really get started

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
My counter to this whole pissing contest about drugs is that most employers in present day America have these things called rules and expectations, mine included. I actually received a random drug test last Wednesday. It's a part of life. I don't fault the NFL for their rules.

I could have gotten on my high horse and pitched a fit and quit like David has done/is doing, but I have a duty to myself and my family that depends on me to be tenuously employed, so I choose not to smoke weed. That's what a man does. David Irving has a track record of getting evicted from apartments for not paying his rent, even while on a consistent NFL salary. I hope weed pays the bills and puts food on his table for his little girl.

Completely moronic.

I agree with the rules aspect of it and again im not defending Irving as a person, simply the broader points he made as a whole. I also doubt your employer hands you bottles of physically-addicting painkillers either.

Sydla

Reaction score

I saw the video. He's basically the guy claiming he resigned when in fact he was actually fired.

It's easy to take the stance he's taking when the NFL really isn't an option for him right now as he's facing a suspension (AGAIN) and the Cowboys are probably done with him and few, if any, NFL teams would take a risk on him.

He's walking away from something he doesn't even really have to begin with at this point.

Sydla

Reaction score
I want to start a new country.

Only people with IQs above the US median IQ will be admitted.

Exceptions will be made for females based on the crazy/hot scale.

Absolutely NO Kardashians allowed.

Once enough people move to X-Country, the US will collapse due to only low IQ types remaining. Then we'll take back portions of the US (we'll leave Philly, etc. to the dummies).

Eventually David Irving will get a work permit to clean our gutters since he won't need a ladder.

On the positive side for Irving, weed will be legal. He'll be able to freely spend his minimum wages on weed.

Just a quick point, one of those Kardashians just became the youngest billionaire on Forbes list, beating out Zuckerberg.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I agree with the rules aspect of it and again im not defending Irving as a person, simply the broader points he made as a whole. I also doubt your employer hands you bottles of physically-addicting painkillers either.
I feel like David Irving is blowing his own points out of proportion though. NFL players routinely have painful surgeries to repair damage to ligaments, bones, and other things. It's no different than you or me having to undergo an invasive surgery and being prescribed medication in the meantime.

It looks to me, as an outsider of the organization, is that Irving is just making excuses for himself.