Twitter: David Irving Tweet' Suspension increase?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Funny, I just posted something similar in another thread.

I really wish the players could do something earlier. Many of the NFL issues are getting out of hand. Discipline and Weed are the top 2 issues. Weed testing is dumb and the discipline issues are very inconsistent and more difficult from the players perspective than they should be.

They need an independent entity that can oversee the discipline issues. This entity should be selected similar to Voir Dire which is the process used to select juries. The defense and prosecution each get equal input into the process.

An independent entity would not be independent if chosen only by the NFL.

It seems players like Irving only failed 1 drug test. The same with Scandrick a few years ago. I lose track of those rules. If true, a single failed test should never result in a suspension. Players shouldn't be penalized if they just took something unintentionally. Suspensions should be the result of a continued pattern of drug usage and IMO, should only be for performance enhancing drugs.
The fans may not care in 2021........America is fickle and moves on quick.....

Remember when NASCAR was huge and then they PC bleached it...... no cigarettes, no beer, no fighting, Danica...... it sold out and burned out

If people want controversy and choreographed hits they can watch WWE.... the difference is less and less every year

Add in all the protests and penalties and the NFL could suffer big time......if it wasn't for Fantasy Football and gambling 30-40% of the fans would already be gone

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thursday night football and player safety issues will be another key negotiating point. I agree with your take on drug suspensions. If I was the NFL I would stop testing for most drugs. It would stop a lot of the negative PR that the NFL brings on itself.
They won't just stop because they want to use these issues to negotiate the next CBA. The owners always want more money. If the players want changes in the discipline policy or weed policy, the owners will want the players to give up money in some form.

Yes Thursday night football is disliked by the players.

The owners probably still want 18 game seasons.

Basically, I see the NFL's unspoken stance to the players as:

We'll quit testing for weed and you can define the new discipline policy but we want 18 game seasons, keep Thursday night football and forget about CTE issues.

csirl

Reaction score
Irving was suspended for a PED, not weed. In a lot of sports worldwide this would get a 2 year ban for first offence.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Irving was suspended for a PED, not weed. In a lot of sports worldwide this would get a 2 year ban for first offence.
Most of the PEDs the nfl test for aren't tested in sports worldwide. They ban stuff that are in GNC stores.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Funny, I just posted something similar in another thread.

I really wish the players could do something earlier. Many of the NFL issues are getting out of hand. Discipline and Weed are the top 2 issues. Weed testing is dumb and the discipline issues are very inconsistent and more difficult from the players perspective than they should be.

They need an independent entity that can oversee the discipline issues. This entity should be selected similar to Voir Dire which is the process used to select juries. The defense and prosecution each get equal input into the process.

An independent entity would not be independent if chosen only by the NFL.

It seems players like Irving only failed 1 drug test. The same with Scandrick a few years ago. I lose track of those rules. If true, a single failed test should never result in a suspension. Players shouldn't be penalized if they just took something unintentionally. Suspensions should be the result of a continued pattern of drug usage and IMO, should only be for performance enhancing drugs.

Totally agree. Yet you have players like Josh Brown who as been convicted of beating us his wife for several times and get only a one game suspension. The NFL has really crossed broken new ground here and they aren't doing themselves a favor in the public's eye. Hopefully Karma will get the best of them.

Sage3030

Reaction score
This all brings to mind my favorite episode of Sponge Bob Squarepants. (I have two kids, sue me!)

In this episode, Mr. Crabs is holding some big thing to announce who's being promoted at the Krusty Krab, Sponge Bob or Squidward. Sponge Bob is certain he'll be getting it. He of course doesn't, leaving Mr. Crabs to explain why to the crestfallen Sponge Bob. "It's just that you're...ah...um..."

Voice from crowd: "Moron?"
Mr. Crabs: "No, no, that's not it at all. It's that you're a..."
Voice from crowd: "Imbecile?"
Mr. Crabs: "No, it's not that. Sponge Bob here is...uh...a..."
Voice from crowd: "Ding-a-ling?"
Mr. Crabs: "No...but that's closer."

Poor spongebob.

At least he goes on to conquer Shell City and save Mr. Krabs from a horrible death.

Of course he needed a little help from the Hoff, but that Goofy Goober gets the job done.

diefree666

Reaction score
The next CBA will be very interesting. The last time the players basically sold out everything else for money and less practice time. The less practice time has been shown to be pretty much a null thing as regards injuries but has significantly impacted the quality of the game.
Now as regards the Thursday night games the owners might not be a resistant to that going away if they get the 18 games they want. As long as they add another bye it will probably be approved.
And another area is the size of rosters; there is a serious push for making all 53 available for games. the whole practice roster thing might be gone; which is probably of the good since it really does not make that much difference anymore. Those extra bodies are needed and I think it will fly.