David Irving's Arm Length

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
A lot more talent is there at DE than people want to believe. Granted it's still very raw, and we're talking about a lot of questionable people, the talent is there. If irving didn't have the off field issues he very well may have been a 1st/2nd round pick.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I say he takes this opportunity given to him and runs with it. Maybe he makes us forget one of them.

BoysWin

Reaction score
37 3/4 ?

Is that possible? Got it from a Zack Spears tweet in a Google search.

6'7 3/4

Marinelli is talking about him at LDE. I think it will be fun to see what this kid can do with a full season of training behind him.

Too Tall was 6'9 and batted so many balls. Would be so nice if David Irving could duplicate what Too Tall Jones was.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I have very high hopes for Irving. Now in his second year and a full off season to build his huge frame even stronger, I believe he has the potential to shine under Marinelli. Last year, he played in very limited time, but still managed a sack, 3 PD, and a blocked field goal in Seattle. He's measurables are ridiculous and opponents will take notice. Unfortunately, He got caught up in a demostration while at Iowa that caused him to miss out on his Senior season. He's the son of a Marine Sergeant, so I'm sure he's been scolded and regrets the actions. I'll end by leaving a quote from Irving..

"I watched all the Iowa State games. I wished I was out there. It humbled me. It made me work harder. It made me hungrier, more motivated and luckily I got a chance to be here. And I'm here and I'm very appreciative, just ready to get back to work."

That's what I like to hear.

dallasdave

Reaction score
37 3/4 ?

Is that possible? Got it from a Zack Spears tweet in a Google search.

6'7 3/4

Marinelli is talking about him at LDE. I think it will be fun to see what this kid can do with a full season of training behind him.

I agree, guy could be a real player !!!

davey999

Reaction score
13 bench press?
Hopefully he has already and is in the process of getting stronger.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
A lot more talent is there at DE than people want to believe. Granted it's still very raw, and we're talking about a lot of questionable people, the talent is there. If irving didn't have the off field issues he very well may have been a 1st/2nd round pick.

I've heard he would have been the first overall pick and several teams would fight to offer more picks so they can trade up to pick him.

Jenky

Reaction score
If you are talking about his 13 bench reps, realize his arm length is an issue on the bench. Bench is also a poor indicator of football strength. The Wisconsin OL like Frederick do poorly on the bench comparative wise.

I'm well aware of the mechanics and how anatomy is involved in benching. As a DL-men, you still have to push guys around.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm well aware of the mechanics and how anatomy is involved in benching. As a DL-men, you still have to push guys around.

Then you still don't get it. The bench isn't an accurate measurement for strength that translates to football. A shorter armed guy is also going to have a greater advantage on the amount of reps than one with long arms. It's not surprising that the guy with the longest arms in the game would have issues on the bench.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well, with the addition of Maliek Collins, Irving's size and the suspensions, it makes since to move him to LDE.

Right now with the suspensions, it looks like:

RDE Mayowa, Tapper
3-tech T. Crawford, Collins
1-tech Thornton, McClain/Coe/Walker
LDE Irving, J. Crawford

Then, there's also Ryan Russell vying for a spot, as well as UDFAs Jason Neill and Caleb Azubike and another 6-7 guy Mike McAdoo.

I don't have a lot of confidence right now in the ends because none of them have proven they can get consistent pressure on the passer, but it will be interesting to see if any of them can step up.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

David Irving was never going to be a 1st or 2nd Round Pick. In three seasons, he had 44 tckls, 3 sacks and 7.5 TFL. At best, he would have been a day 3 pick if somebody really fell in love with him IMO.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know it's the offseason when you get thread title like this. :)