David Irving's Arm Length

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Yeah bench is harder for people with long arms and squats are harder for people with long legs. They gotta push/pull a little more distance.
That being said, 13 rep still low he needs that up a bit. D linemen should be hitting 30-50 reps.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Not saying I know or anything, but isn't 6'7" a little tall for a DE that has to bend and get round a tackle ?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm well aware of the mechanics and how anatomy is involved in benching. As a DL-men, you still have to push guys around.

leverage trumps brute strength........he can get his arms on you first

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If you are talking about his 13 bench reps, realize his arm length is an issue on the bench. Bench is also a poor indicator of football strength. The Wisconsin OL like Frederick do poorly on the bench comparative wise.

I agree and, in some respects, don't quite understand the bench press as a measure of strength. I mean, if he can lift 300 lbs, what difference does it make if he can lift it 10 times or 20 times? Haven't you shown that you can lift it?

Somebody help me out here because I'm actually asking a question.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I agree and, in some respects, don't quite understand the bench press as a measure of strength. I mean, if he can lift 300 lbs, what difference does it make if he can lift it 10 times or 20 times? Haven't you shown that you can lift it?

You have to repeatedly beat your man in football.....not just once.....its about strength and endurance

Jenky

Reaction score

Its strength and endurance. There are guys in the NFL who have a 35-36+ inch wing span who can bench in the 30 rep range. I think Ryan Clady was one of them. Granted they have bigger chests, but benching involves technique as well. You can widen your grip and arch your back to minimize the distance. Regardless, its still measures upper body strength. Also these guys are benching less than they weight. Just perspective, I have a lanky build and weight 190, but I can still put up those reps.

Another example is Aldon Smith who also has long arms.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aldon-smith?id=2495487

As well as Ziggy Ansah.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ziggy-ansah?id=2539931

Mike Evans who's a receiver with a weight of 231lb, a wing span of 35 and 1/8, put up 12 reps and you can argue his position doesnt require it as much.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468

Last edited:

irishline

Reaction score
Not saying I know or anything, but isn't 6'7" a little tall for a DE that has to bend and get round a tackle ?

dea37fbb122806ab27650b4eb402ed65.jpg

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneEd00.htm

It has been done before... ;)

(No I am not trying to compare the two... just that it has happened)

Knotamus

Reaction score
I think the argument ab his strength is silly, not to mention that was last years statistics. Its well known that college players typically take a major jump in strength from year one to year two due to the fact they can actually concentrate on their conditioning more than schooling. Besides, his missed his senior year, so it shouldn't surprise anybody if he's not at he NFL level strength wise. I'll admit I thought that 13 reps is too low for a guy his size, but Im sure a year in Dallas's weight room has done him wonders. Besides, I've read several times that coaches have stated that the bench dosent tell the whole story..they're more concerned ab technique..which can be taught.