David Lee Roth From Van Halen to Ambulance

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Legendary Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth has stopped "runnin' with the devil" to do God's work -- riding ambulances in gritty neighborhoods throughout New York City to become a paramedic.

The famed rocker has cut his trademark blond mane and dropped his celebrity persona so he can ride unrecognized with ambulance crews in The Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn several nights a week.

Several weeks ago, the charismatic crooner saved the life of a Bronx woman who had a heart attack by shocking her back to life with a defibrillator.

The Post caught up with Roth last week as the 1980s icon grabbed a slice of pepperoni pizza after sitting for hours in an ambulance waiting for a call.

Just three days earlier, he had played to an adoring rock-'n'-roll crowd in Minnesota.

Roth, 49, initially expressed reservations about discussing his latest endeavor because he felt publicity "would diminish what I am trying to do here."

But the following day, he told The Post more about his new passion.

"I have been on over 200 individual rides now," Roth told The Post. "Not once has anyone recognized me, which is perfect for me."

"It has been an eye-opening adventure," said Roth, who asked The Post not to disclose which "very colorful neighborhoods" he works in because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself or his colleagues.

Linda Reissman, Roth's EMT consultant and tutor, said she didn't know what to expect of her famous pupil at first, but "he has probably turned out to be one of the best students I have ever had."

"I am amazed," said Reissman, who is training Roth for Brooklyn-based company Emergency Care Programs Inc.

Reissman described Roth as very studious, punctual and hungry for knowledge.

"He is very serious," she said. "You would never know you were dealing with a rock-'n'-roll guy, his commitment really is touching. He wants to help people."

The singer, who is used to being onstage in a packed arena, sees at least one similarity in his two careers.

"I am a member of a team again, and that's what a rock band always was," Roth said.

http://www.israellycool.com/blog/HeroesandInspiringFigures/_archives/2005/1

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
This is amazing isn't it?

The guy goes from wearing azzless chaps to saving people's azzes.

Word is that he likes other men's azzes as well... :eek:

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Word is that he likes other men's azzes as well... :eek:

Are you kidding?

He had many songs and lyrics about women.

That's what most of Van Halen's songs were about when David Lee Roth was in the band.

trickblue

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Are you kidding?

He had many songs and lyrics about women.

That's what most of Van Halen's songs were about when David Lee Roth was in the band.

True that... but it has been the rumor for years... and even Eddie alluded to it at one time...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
True that... but it has been the rumor for years... and even Eddie alluded to it at one time...

Funny, I've been a Van Halen fan all these years and never heard that...I know there was some bitterness from the brothers and David, so that could be a shot at David, but I wouldn't have known that from his lyrics.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Roth is such a trip.

A funny guy that I've never taken that seriously. I wonder if this is a gimmick, or if he is serious about this stuff. With him, it's hard to tell.

I saw Van Halen perform in Lubbock in 1980 and someone threw one of those farm "seed caps" up on the stage. Roth put it on and wore it for a couple of songs. Seeing that guy wearing that farmer's cap with his long blond hair and hopping around on stage was funny.

One of my favorite Roth lines (in his trademark raspy voice): "The reason the critics like Elvis Costello is because they LOOK like Elvis Costello."

trickblue

Reaction score
Chief said:
One of my favorite Roth lines (in his trademark raspy voice): "The reason the critics like Elvis Costello is because they LOOK like Elvis Costello."

I like Van Halen ALOT... BUT...

Elvis Costello is still a force in music... and Van Halen isn't (and that is a shame)... versatility goes a long way...

The van Halen brothers always flirted with classical stuff... they should do it... the complexity of hard rock and classical is not so different...

Eddie is already an accomplished flamenco player... it ain't that far removed...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Chief said:
Roth is such a trip.

A funny guy that I've never taken that seriously. I wonder if this is a gimmick, or if he is serious about this stuff. With him, it's hard to tell.

I saw Van Halen perform in Lubbock in 1980 and someone threw one of those farm "seed caps" up on the stage. Roth put it on and wore it for a couple of songs. Seeing that guy wearing that farmer's cap with his long blond hair and hopping around on stage was funny.

You've been around for a while Chief...never took you for much of a rocker...shows how much I know.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I like Van Halen ALOT... BUT...

Elvis Costello is still a force in music... and Van Halen isn't (and that is a shame)... versatility goes a long way...

The van Halen brothers always flirted with classical stuff... they should do it... the complexity of hard rock and classical is not so different...

Eddie is already an accomplished flamenco player... it ain't that far removed...

True...they could do classic rock, Flamenco, Classical...there's not much they can't do, but it wouldn't be Van Halen.

I disagree with them not being a musical force. Sure, with technonology you don't here people playing the guitar and ripping leads like Eddie does, but for those that still like that...he's definitely a force there.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Legendary Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth has stopped "runnin' with the devil" to do God's work -- riding ambulances in gritty neighborhoods throughout New York City to become a paramedic.

The famed rocker has cut his trademark blond mane and dropped his celebrity persona so he can ride unrecognized with ambulance crews in The Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn several nights a week.

Several weeks ago, the charismatic crooner saved the life of a Bronx woman who had a heart attack by shocking her back to life with a defibrillator.

The Post caught up with Roth last week as the 1980s icon grabbed a slice of pepperoni pizza after sitting for hours in an ambulance waiting for a call.

Just three days earlier, he had played to an adoring rock-'n'-roll crowd in Minnesota.

Roth, 49, initially expressed reservations about discussing his latest endeavor because he felt publicity "would diminish what I am trying to do here."

But the following day, he told The Post more about his new passion.

"I have been on over 200 individual rides now," Roth told The Post. "Not once has anyone recognized me, which is perfect for me."

"It has been an eye-opening adventure," said Roth, who asked The Post not to disclose which "very colorful neighborhoods" he works in because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself or his colleagues.

Linda Reissman, Roth's EMT consultant and tutor, said she didn't know what to expect of her famous pupil at first, but "he has probably turned out to be one of the best students I have ever had."

"I am amazed," said Reissman, who is training Roth for Brooklyn-based company Emergency Care Programs Inc.

Reissman described Roth as very studious, punctual and hungry for knowledge.

"He is very serious," she said. "You would never know you were dealing with a rock-'n'-roll guy, his commitment really is touching. He wants to help people."

The singer, who is used to being onstage in a packed arena, sees at least one similarity in his two careers.

"I am a member of a team again, and that's what a rock band always was," Roth said.

http://www.israellycool.com/blog/HeroesandInspiringFigures/_archives/2005/1
Cruising for chicks in an ambulance. Way to go Dave. :eek:hboy:

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Cruising for chicks in an ambulance. Way to go Dave. :eek:hboy:

Hey, that's the best time...when they need some help.

:shades: Hi I'm David Lee Roth, need some help?

Yes I do....

:flagwave:

:bull:

Need a ride back home?

trickblue

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I disagree with them not being a musical force.

I never said they weren't a musical force... anytime you have Eddie Van Halen playing guitar... you are a force...

What I mean is that they aren't adapting to current pop culture... that is the reference to Elvis Costello...

He can't TOUCH Van Halen musically... but that doesn't mean he isn't talented... he is...

Elvis is a marketing genius... and he knows what the people want... it is a credit to his mind... adapt and survive...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I never said they weren't a musical force... anytime you have Eddie Van Halen playing guitar... you are a force...

What I mean is that they aren't adapting to current pop culture... that is the reference to Elvis Costello...

He can't TOUCH Van Halen musically... but that doesn't mean he isn't talented... he is...

Elvis is a marketing genius... and he knows what the people want... it is a credit to his mind... adapt and survive...

Funny...but I don't even know who Elvis Costello is.

And I don't care much for 'pop culture'...I'm old school. THAT's the way I roll! :)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:

And I don't care much for 'pop culture'...I'm old school. THAT's the way I roll! :)

LOL! Not making fun of you, a lot of people don't know who Elvis Costello is (I am not a fan of his nor VH). Just something about the sentence...made me laugh!

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
LOL! Not making fun of you, a lot of people don't know who Elvis Costello is (I am not a fan of his nor VH). Just something about the sentence...made me laugh!

Can you tell me who he is?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Can you tell me who he is?

He's a goofy looking musician that has been around for, what, 30 years? Pretty eclectic, but I haven't heard a lot of his repertoire (and don't like what I have heard). I think he is married to or dated someone who is reeeeaaaaly hot.

Remember SNL in the 80s (early 90s) when a musician was told not to do a controversial song, began doing the one they requested, stopped, and started to controversial one? That was Costello.

He was also in Austin Powers II with Bert Bacharach, singing "I Never Wanna Fall In Love" (his song.....we played it in my Starbucks before the new Dave CD came out yesterday - thank God. Not a Dave fan, but he doesn't give me a headache).

trickblue

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:

I reckon I need to learn you a thing or two Ben... ;)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I reckon I need to learn you a thing or two Ben... ;)

slingblade.jpeg

mmmmmmmm....hmmmmmmm.....

Reckon I ain't got no need to learn dat der popular culture.

:D

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
slingblade.jpeg

Reckon I ain't got no need to learn dat der popular culture.

:D

JT Walsh stole that movie.