Davis and Goodwin need to go

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree Davis and Goodwin are unnecessary. I also wonder if Turpin is better as a WR than some of the young guys who are likely to get cut.

HungryLion

Reaction score
What recent RBs played STs as a coverage guy on the Cowboys?
Tony pollard played on special teams.

Deuce Vaughn played special teams last year.

Rico dowdle has.

Zeke doesn’t. Which was fine when he was the man at RB. But now that he’s a fringe roster player at RB who can only do a few particular roles at RB. He is a waste of a roster spot.

It’s basically a joke that the cowboys have a RB whose only roles are going to be short yardage runs and blocking.

He would not even be on the roster if it wasn’t for his history here. And that’s a fact.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Putting Davis and Goodwin on the 53 because of special teams is a bunch of bs. There are other guys that should be on the 53. Deuce Vaughn is one. Buddy Johnson is another. That rookie safety that had 2 picks is another. They can find other players to be the personal protector and gunners. Guys like J. Thomas, Flournoy, Bell, and Brooks.
Why are we complaining about something that we don't know if it will even happen as if it already has happened? lol

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Tony pollard played on special teams.

Deuce Vaughn played special teams last year.

Rico dowdle has.

Zeke doesn’t. Which was fine when he was the man at RB. But now that he’s a fringe roster player at RB who can only do a few particular roles at RB. He is a waste of a roster spot.

It’s basically a joke that the cowboys have a RB whose only roles are going to be short yardage runs and blocking.

He would not even be on the roster if it wasn’t for his history here. And that’s a fact.
Those are as returners not coverage guys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Putting Davis and Goodwin on the 53 because of special teams is a bunch of bs. There are other guys that should be on the 53. Deuce Vaughn is one. Buddy Johnson is another. That rookie safety that had 2 picks is another. They can find other players to be the personal protector and gunners. Guys like J. Thomas, Flournoy, Bell, and Brooks.
I agree

blueblood70

Reaction score
How many fake punts were there last year against Dallas????
Goodwin nothing on defense, with the new kickoff rules and the way Punters today now kick to coverage and not distance, you don't waste a roster spot on a one trick pony in Goodwin anymore...
Yeah I'm starting to lean that way as well... I mean when bland went down we could use a player that can go both ways at corner/sts..

Jarntt

Reaction score
A big difference between casual fans and NFL coaches is the understanding of the importance of STs. The guys who won't make an impact on Offense or Defense need to contribute on STs. I have no idea who will be kept but you can be damn sure the bottom of the roster will be filled out hand in hand with a discussion about STs

speedkilz88

Reaction score
What does it matter? I specified guys who could contribute to special teams. Not any specific role on special teams.
Deuce is a returner. The whole possibility of Duece getting beat out by Davis is based on Davis playing on coverage teams. Deuce is the better returner.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Deuce is a returner. The whole possibility of Duece getting beat out by Davis is based on Davis playing on coverage teams. Deuce is the better returner.

I was pointing out that we are wasting a roster spot on an old, very limited RB who doesn’t even play special teams. Named Ezekiel Elliott.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Goodwin is not some Slater-level special teams talent. I have no idea why they continue to roster him. I seriously cannot remember the last time the dude made a play in a game, but for some reason he has managed to stick around on this roster for years.

Jeff Heath was the last true special teams ace we had around here that commanded a roster spot solely to ball out on teams.

Keeping Malik Davis to be a personal protector on the punt team would be a travesty.

Unfortunately I have a feeling they're going to keep both of these dudes despite it making little to no sense.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I was pointing out that we are wasting a roster spot on an old, very limited RB who doesn’t even play special teams. Named Ezekiel Elliott.
Dude don't waste your time trying to explain this. Everyone with half a brain knows that Fat Zeke is a joke and back up running backs play special teams.

quickccc

Reaction score
How many fake punts were there last year against Dallas????
Goodwin nothing on defense, with the new kickoff rules and the way Punters today now kick to coverage and not distance, you don't waste a roster spot on a one trick pony in Goodwin anymore...
Actually we dunno yet what we'll become of the new kickoff rules, ...on either side of the ball, as players , coaches and nfl officials are all still adjusting...

...and it not about just kickoffs..there's still punt coverage involved..as repeatedly saying again, we blew some assignments on punt returns without Goodwin in the game.

It's a reason why the best special teams coach in the nfl is pulling for Goodwin's return.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
Duece sucks why does he need a spot?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Goodwin I’ve pretty much accepted that it will happen. Davis would just make zero sense to me so I’m with you in hoping that rumor isn’t true.
Hard to get too up in arms about the 52nd and 53rd player on the team. But would hope Davis isn't on the roster at the expense of Vaughn. That would be a big miss.