Dc.com Draft show

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And who would be that player? Who do you think is worthy of that 16/17th pick?

I do not know. That 16/17 pick is a no-man's zone in any draft, which is a roll of the dice regardless.

All you can do is trust the board.

The only big problem is that this team is not equipped defensively to compete, especially in the front four.

If the "BPA" is a TE or CB, what then?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I do not know. That 16/17 pick is a no-man's zone in any draft, which is a roll of the dice regardless.

The only big problem is that this team is not equipped defensively to compete, especially in the front four.

Fair enough.
I have to agree with you on that. No quarrel from me, friend.
I am of the opinion that 16/17 could be an advantageous position to be in if there is a team(s) willing to give a good deal to get the player they want...
But I realize there is obviously no guarantee of that.

My real hope is that a TRUE talent of need falls to them and they take it.
Any which way- I always look forward to the drama that is called the NFL Draft.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Fair enough.
I have to agree with you on that. No quarrel from me, friend.
I am of the opinion that 16/17 could be an advantageous position to be in if there is a team(s) willing to give a good deal to get the player they want...
But I realize there is obviously no guarantee of that.

My real hope is that a TRUE talent of need falls to them and they take it.
Any which way- I always look forward to the drama that is called the NFL Draft.

Actually, later in the first round is more of a sweet spot these days. That is where you might find a team looking to trade up out of the second to snag a player in the first because they can sign them to a longer first contract.

I do not see much advantage to being right in the middle. Even when supposedly "top 10" talent slips, you rarely see teams trade up for them.

Corso

Reaction score
Actually, later in the first round is more of a sweet spot these days. That is where you might find a team looking to trade up out of the second to snag a player in the first because they can sign them to a longer first contract.

I do not see much advantage to being right in the middle. Even when supposedly "top 10" talent slips, you rarely see teams trade up for them.

So you think it would be of greatest benefit if they can find two trade down partners?
One to get them near the bottom of the first and one to give them a sweet deal into the 2nd?

Interesting strategy...

Zordon

Reaction score
I'd seriously consider this. Maybe 3 sure-fire safety starters in this draft while Dallas can use any of about 25 DL for at least depth.

Option 1 IMHO is trading down. Get value but also lock up one spot for a decade like you did with TFred.
That could be Donald or Dix or Pryor and I'd be happy with any of those 3.

In one mock I was sitting at 17 and GB offered me 21 and 21 of round 2 for the spot then they moved up to take Jernigan....
I took Dix at 21.

In round 2 I got Aaron Donald and RaShede Hageman....

If they can trade down and still pick up Pryor (slim chance), I'd do that in a heartbeat. I've watched his tape several times, he's a bigger and even more physical earl thomas. He's a leader and a tone setter for a defense. Definite 10 yr type of guy. I just wonder what that would mean for Wilcox. Seems like they'd be giving up on the Church/Wilcox combo very quickly (1 year?). I wonder which one of those two will be here for the long term b/c it doesn't seem like the team is set on both of them playing together.

Corso

Reaction score
If they can trade down and still pick up Pryor (slim chance), I'd do that in a heartbeat. I've watched his tape several times, he's a bigger and even more physical earl thomas. He's a leader and a tone setter for a defense. Definite 10 yr type of guy. I just wonder what that would mean for Wilcox. Seems like they'd be giving up on the Church/Wilcox combo very quickly (1 year?). I wonder which one of those two will be here for the long term b/c it doesn't seem like the team is set on both of them playing together.

Never hesitate to give up on OK for EXCELLENCE.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

I think Wilcox has a very usable skillset without being a starter.
He is a nickel safety type right now imho.
Could be really effective as a honey badger type.

I've got zero problem next year if my safeties look like:
Pryor-FS
Church-SS
Wilcox-Nickel with tons of man coverage duty and top back up at both spots.
Heath-ST stud and 3rd Safety at both spots.

That's the type of depth you want.

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
Does anyone know the draft website they talked about where you can watch tape on all the prospects in a short time? I wrote it down and lost it. Lol

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think Wilcox has a very usable skillset without being a starter.
He is a nickel safety type right now imho.
Could be really effective as a honey badger type.

I've got zero problem next year if my safeties look like:
Pryor-FS
Church-SS
Wilcox-Nickel with tons of man coverage duty and top back up at both spots.
Heath-ST stud and 3rd Safety at both spots.

That's the type of depth you want.
Does anyone know the draft website they talked about where you can watch tape on all the prospects in a short time? I wrote it down and lost it. Lol

http://www.draftbreakdown.com

VACowboy

Reaction score

Depends on the other players still available and whether or not anyone is interested in trading.

If Pryor or Martin is there, he's my pick. If I can trade down a few, pick up a 3rd and still come away with a guy like Ealy, Nix or Clinton-Dix, I'd consider that a nice first day too.

It's too bad they went Escobar instead of DL last April. This is the year you stick to your board and draft a freakishly good player at a "low priority" position. Eric Ebron would look mighty good down the line from Jason Witten.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
They don't give Donald that spot in the draft because of 2 inches of height. Does the guy show up on tape? Did he do well at the senior bowl against good competition? Hell yes. But because TJ is has prototype size he's a better pick at 16/17. The question is do you use such a high pick on TJ who you suspect is gonna be a 1tech? Who knows, I'd rather use that pick on someone who is disruptive, and find that 1tech later in the draft. It's gonna be fun regardless, I'm just waiting for Jerry to draft a TE with that pck. Outsmart everyone.

What I don't want to see is another Greg Ellis pick when there are major playmakers available at other positions of need.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
I have faith in Marinelli drafting great D-Line players. That is all.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Given we allowed the 6th-most rushing yards last year and were pretty porous up the middle despite Hatcher's nice season, would be nice if we emulated what CAR did last draft using two high picks on DT's. Being set up the middle for years would be awesome.

I agree. But we both know Carolina didn't into the draft expecting to spend the 1st two picks on DTs...it had to fall right for them.
The smart thing they did was that even though they took one in the 1st, they couldn't pass up the obvious value when it was there again in the second .

I mean, I thought Kwan Short was really great value where they got him in the 2nd round. I really thought we may have taken him at 31. And of course, Star falling to them in the 1st was real sweet.