News: DC.com | Stephen Jones: We have 100 Percent Belief In Dak

Qcard

Reaction score
THEY TRIED.

Why do posters keep warbling that we should have signed him in the offseason? We offered him a great contract, he turned it down. Look it up.
Maybe because most exceptional Teams front office operate unlike the way the Cowboys have done in the past 10 years.

For example Enjoy Trevon Diggs while you can because this front office won't sign him even if he's top 5 DB in 2023

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because it was a question the media asked. The media naturally is hoping for something they can twist into a drama, and I guess Stephen wanted to prevent that.
Easy solution. Do what all of the others do and stop giving them access.

Qcard

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just NFL speak, not worthy of its own thread.
I know threads about whether Dak called CeeDee Lamb are what really get the juices flowing:lmao2:

Maybe these journalist should ask Stephen Jones if Dalton and Dak will split snaps.

:facepalm:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course it's in question. He didn't get a contract after his 3rd year. He got tagged after his fourth year, and you still think it was never in question? They didn't pay Byron either. Why do you think that is? Because his stay in Dallas was in question. Then they find out he played really well. By that time it's too late. Same thing Dallas is doing with the other two corners.
He didn't get a contract after his 3rd year because he didn't want the one they were offering.

So, is there any question that they want him? They tried to sign him last off season and have tried this off season, tagged him and wanted a longer term contract than he did so the only question is how badly does he want them?

I do not see anyone questioning whether they want him. The problem they have are the existing contracts that they have in place and trying to make all of that work.

Flamma

Reaction score
He didn't get a contract after his 3rd year because he didn't want the one they were offering.

But that's not good for the team. Jerry has to know this. You're quarterback is refusing to sign an extension? Because there are no other opportunities to sign an extension. There had to be some question. Same with Lewis and Chido now. This is when they should be signed. Not afterwards when it will cost the Cowboys the most possible money if they play really well. Why don't they sign them? Because they're not totally sold. That's why.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

So, is there any question that they want him? They tried to sign him last off season and have tried this off season, tagged him and wanted a longer term contract than he did so the only question is how badly does he want them?

I do not see anyone questioning whether they want him. The problem they have are the existing contracts that they have in place and trying to make all of that work.
Even though the belief was widely held, this was the first time they confirmed that contract length was one of the hurdles, no? Wanting him under your own conditions is not exactly the same as wanting him. I’m no fan of Dak but if he wanted to sign a 10 year contract for 10 million dollars I would sign him so fast it would make your head spin.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that's not good for the team. Jerry has to know this. You're quarterback is refusing to sign an extension? Because there are no other opportunities to sign an extension. There had to be some question. Same with Lewis and Chido now. This is when they should be signed. Not afterwards when it will cost the Cowboys the most possible money if they play really well. Why don't they sign them? Because they're not totally sold. That's why.
It's possible they weren't totally sold after the 2018 season, but that's not a certainty. The Cowboys may have just felt they could get him cheap, and who knows, Dak himself may have felt he hadn't yet earned the bigger contract, so he decided to pass on negotiating until after the 2019 season. That's really what the story was - that Dak was betting on himself to improve his value, so it was him that broke off the negotiation after 2018, not the Cowboys, .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even though the belief was widely held, this was the first time they confirmed that contract length was one of the hurdles, no? Wanting him under your own conditions is not exactly the same as wanting him. I’m no fan of Dak but if he wanted to sign a 10 year contract for 10 million dollars I would sign him so fast it would make your head spin.
Of course wanting him under the team conditions means they want him, I think you are just saying it may mean they don't want him quite to the degree the pay would require to get him.

But even then, I think they would have to want him pretty bad, even to agree to a "team friendly" deal. After all, "team friendly" doesn't mean "cheap". want him even under your conditions if you didn't want him. Realistically, even if Dak had been willing to sign an incredibly team friendly deal - as an example, a 5 year $28 million a year contract - that would still have been a huge commitment for the team and married the team to Dak for several years, and why would they want to do that if they didn't want him pretty bad?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
more speak that means nothing coming from the front office that really dont know a lot about what they are doing and what is he going to say they want to win if they have a season and dak is their starting qb nothing to see here its a jones

Flamma

Reaction score
It's possible they weren't totally sold after the 2018 season, but that's not a certainty. The Cowboys may have just felt they could get him cheap, and who knows, Dak himself may have felt he hadn't yet earned the bigger contract, so he decided to pass on negotiating until after the 2019 season. That's really what the story was - that Dak was betting on himself to improve his value, so it was him that broke off the negotiation after 2018, not the Cowboys, .

I'm not saying this isn't the case. But it's abnormal. You're eliminating any possible chance for an extension. How would any owner like that situation? A situation where only the player can make out great?

Dak had already played 3 seasons, why does he need to prove his value unless the organization didn't have doubts? So to say they weren't sold on Dak after 2018 isn't a certainty is true enough. But everything pointed to the strong possibility they weren't sold on him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying this isn't the case. But it's abnormal. You're eliminating any possible chance for an extension. How would any owner like that situation? A situation where only the player can make out great?

Dak had already played 3 seasons, why does he need to prove his value unless the organization didn't have doubts? So to say they weren't sold on Dak after 2018 isn't a certainty is true enough. But everything pointed to the strong possibility they weren't sold on him.
Like I said, it's possible the team did have questions after 2018. I'm just saying that's not the only possible scenario. Remember that the team isn't the only one driving the negotiation. If a player chooses to wait a year to improve his value, the team can't force him to do otherwise. And, of course, it might not have just been to improve his value, it might also have been based on the assumption the market would be higher the following year. If that were part of the thinking, this Covid thing sure put a kink in that plan! lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Like I said, it's possible the team did have questions after 2018. I'm just saying that's not the only possible scenario. Remember that the team isn't the only one driving the negotiation. If a player chooses to wait a year to improve his value, the team can't force him to do otherwise. And, of course, it might not have just been to improve his value, it might also have been based on the assumption the market would be higher the following year. If that were part of the thinking, this Covid thing sure put a kink in that plan! lol

I agree. It can't be forced. We really don't even know what was offered after 2018, do we?

Flamma

Reaction score
Not to my knowledge we don't.

Look at the other QBs around the league. Mahomes, Wilson, Watson next year, and probably Jackson the year or two after that. What rookie or vet doesn't get his extension with at least one year left on their contract? Cousins from Washington, that's who. This thing has been bungled. I'm not arguing with you BTW, just venting.

blueblood70

Reaction score
xuhxdxhxhk2fnnj3nl5s.jpg

AP Photo/Ron Jenkins
If there's any animosity between the Cowboys and Dak Prescott because the two sides failed to come to terms on a long-term contract before the deadline earlier this month, it's hard to tell.

At least from the Cowboys' perspective, there seems to be nothing but excitement about Prescott leading the team into this 2020 season that undoubtedly will have its share of challenges, both on and off the field.

But in a recent virtual interview on DallasCowboys.com, Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones said there is absolutely no hard feelings about not getting a deal done.

"We had a great visit with him at the deadline. We pushed to try to have a few more changes here and there to see if we could get it done," Jones said of the NFL's July 15 deadline for teams to negotiate long-term deals with players under the franchise tag. "But he's got such a great outlook on the Dallas Cowboys, our football team, and he's ready to go out and win a Super Bowl, which would only create more value for him, more value for the Cowboys.

"So we're fired up about it and still have nothing but 100 percent belief in Dak and his future with the Cowboys, and that we can ultimately get a deal done. He's special. As Jerry and I have said, we are 110 percent behind him, and ultimately feel like we'll get this done."

When asked how close they got to finalizing a deal, Stephen Jones would only say there were extensive talks right up to the deadline.

"I don't want to use 'close' in terms of negotiations. You either get a deal done or you don't," he said. "We didn't quite get it done. I wouldn't put blame on either side. It's just one of those things, when you're talking about a deal as big as this is – for our team, not just for Dak but our entire team, the ramifications that it has – we certainly want to get it done right. I know he's respectful of Jerry and myself of what we're trying to get accomplished, just as we are with him."

Undoubtedly, this is a season that has already seen plenty of change because of COVID-19 and that uncertainty will likely continue as we get closer to the season. Without making excuses, Stephen Jones cited these unprecedented times as part of the holdup in getting this contract finalized.

"We've never had one quite like it. It's certainly very interesting times when you look at what's going on with having to sit down with the union and negotiate what goes on with the virus when the revenues aren't where they should be," Jones said. "So we had some challenges because it wasn't normal times. Certainly, we've got nothing but respect for Dak and his representation in terms of what they're trying to get out of the deal.

"They certainly want a shorter deal. Historically we have, as management, wanted longer deals because it's more cap friendly and we're able to spread some things out and keep some players. At the end of the day, and Dak understands this, that's what we're trying to do."

Prescott has signed his $31.4 million franchise tender and will play the 2020 season under the tag. Following the season, the two sides can revisit their contract talks and work on getting a new contract, or the Cowboys can place the tag on him for a second year. That figure would be in the range of $38 million. That's a hefty price tag regardless of the season but could be even greater depending on what happens with next year's salary cap.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/stephen-jones-we-have-100-percent-belief-in-dak
im thinking its 90% because a deal would be done if it were 100..the chiefs have 110% confidence in mahomes as well results are in...