Video: DC: Marc Colombo: "Old-School" Approach

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just heard that it was JG fault Pollack left. He waited to make a decision to keep him. When your O-Line is your strength why would you even wonder whether to keep the coach?

I'd heard previously that it was a clash between Pollack and Linehan. Who knows what it really was.

Pollack wasn't a big loss, regardless. They just made a mistake bringing the wrong guy in, but Paul Alexander had a good reputation in the league.

Hopefully they righted the mistake this week.

Nav22

Reaction score
colombo-vs-d-hall_medium.gif
I like how Witten has no idea how close he was to having the back of his legs crashed on.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's still such a head scratcher that the organization wanted to scrap the zone blocking scheme after completely dominating with it the last few years. Good that we're going back to what worked; I just hope it's not too late to make a difference this season
We may have a chance now that the skins lost and there whole Oline is hurt the door is open if we can just squeeze through before Garrett lets it slam shut and lock

Stryker44

Reaction score
Why was Paul Alexander fired? Why does Jason Garrett sell out Alexander, Rob Ryan, and the iconic legend Monte Kiffin this way? Meanwhile Garrett is untouchable.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Columbo was a real bad ***. I'll never forget the game against Julius Peppers in Carolina. He literally punched him in the mouth several times. He wasn't intimidated one bit.

Nobody beats down Peppers. Nobody.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great interview. I don't know why we never considered him to be the oline coach in the first place. Who's great idea was it to hire Paul Alexander and implement a different style into our offense?

Oh wait, must have been Garrett.

Yes, it was Garrett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was happy to hear him primarily reference "what this group has done since 2014 when he joined the Cowboys staff" He also specifically said "pass blocking" when he credited Houck which is good because I read into it that he'll focus on the Callahan style of run blocking and NOT the Houck style.

Jerry really should have made Callahan a ridiculous $$ offer to stay despite the fact that Callahan hated Garrett.

I would love to hear more specifics on what Paul Alexander was teaching, but we the fans will never hear much more than the fact that it was a different style.

From what I've heard, the biggest issue was in pass protection. Alexander was trying to teach the linemen to absorb contact rather than initiating it. Which sounds a lot like neutering them. Taking it instead of dishing it out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Understood but Chaz is Chaz. It should have been up to JG to have him replaced in the game. Or Linehan. Was a game management decision not a line coaches. Jimmy Johnson would have put him on the bench after he gave up the second sack.

Not for keeping him in that one game. But for scouting him, recommending him, and sticking with him overall, especially given the results.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree. That's what killed his tenure here.
Is it the position coaches job to replace players during games? I thought that was on the HC. JG said at halftime he was going to get Chaz help and he never did. Linehan could have called different plays of move Witten over to that side.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it the position coaches job to replace players during games? I thought that was on the HC. JG said at halftime he was going to get Chaz help and he never did. Linehan could have called different plays of move Witten over to that side.

Read my follow up comment to you. It wasn't about that one game.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not for keeping him in that one game. But for scouting him, recommending him, and sticking with him overall, especially given the results.
Gotcha. I didn’t know that he scouted him. I can remember his subbing in and even having to start before and he played fine. He was just injured all the time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotcha. I didn’t know that he scouted him. I can remember his subbing in and even having to start before and he played fine. He was just injured all the time.

Yeah, you can go back to draft day that year and find video from Dallas Cowboys .com that shows Pollack glowing after getting his guy Chaz Green that year. And I think it was Pollack that tried to play Green over Cooper at left guard last year too, despite all evidence to the contrary. It was almost to the "I wish I could quit you" point of Linehan and Kellen Moore.

Almost.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the biggest issue was in pass protection. Alexander was trying to teach the linemen to absorb contact rather than initiating it. Which sounds a lot like neutering them. Taking it instead of dishing it out.
Ties into the "nastiness" theme Colombo is talking about.